Sign in to follow this  
Roodkapje

Helicopter addict in trouble :(

@ Whisper: yeah - first thing I did was remove the 'turn' bindings when I realised what it was trying to do.

@ Rocco: you need to play Black Shark - it's amazing :)

[ed] @ Crazy Chris: the little birds have been modded into Arma2 already :)

[ed2] @ datter: I usually find joystick better (and do on BS) but Arma2 heli's are much easier for me with mouse & keys!

@ All: is it possible to mod the flight model at all? Not familiar with Arma modding yet. Just want to increase the rudder effect really.

Edited by MGB

First of all thanks to all who have submitted usefull posts in this thread :D

I think it's the "not slowing down to turn" part that I haven't been doing which causes the poor turnability. Also the Throttle Control is something I will probably have to get used to I think but I do hope the guys who made ArmA 2 will make sure it's analog somewhere in the future :)

One thing I would like to have confirmed is this part from the post above :

# Turn left and left pedal (rudder left)

# Turn right and right pedal (rudder right)

You are suggesting to "double bind" these controls to the wrist handle so to speak ?? I think this might be one of the main things I am having problems with !!

By the way : I have also used Mouse+Keyboard in BF2 since it gives you waaay better control of the choppers but in ArmA 2 I somehow feel obligated to use a joystick ;)

You are suggesting to "double bind" these controls to the wrist handle so to speak ?? I think this might be one of the main things I am having problems with !!)

That is absolutely correct. The double bind will show up as a conflict (red) but ignore that and you'll be much happier for it.

I use the x52 and I love it.

I think flight is nice and tight here on arma2.

I don't ever see me doing it with a keyboard and mouse.

I think it's even easier than in ACE.

But for the OP. Practice, practice, practice.

Thats the only real good way of improving.

I'm getting better and better.

I've just tried using the keyboard and mouse but i can't get on with it at all. Back to the stick for me.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning this but if possible make sure that you run at decent frame rate (i.e. around 25-30FPS+). Having a bad frame rate will really screw around with your chopper piloting abilities as it tends to "lag" your inputs. I have pretty much mastered piloting choppers and plains in ArmA with my Logitech joystick so you don't have to fly with a keyboard to get good.

• Turn left
    and
    left pedal (rudder left)

• Turn right
    and
    right pedal (rudder right)

Thanks for the advice!