Sign in to follow this  
Galvetus

Screen Gets Black

Hi.

I hope you can help me with this issue. I try to play the demo, and after a few sec the screen gets black, i can still hear sounds and play but i don't see anything. Then i have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it every time, so annoying. Then i get a message on the desktop saying that the display driver stopped working.

This has only happend in singleplayer boot camp training, multiplayer has worked fine except i can't play more than a few sec then it says connection problems.

Is this just bugs, or my pc?

My display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, and latest update 10/06/2009, with DirectX 10.

Can you help me?

I've seen that problem in the past and the only way I managed to fix it was by uninstalling the nvidia drivers and using nvidia driver removal tool then reinstalling the fresh nvidia drivers.

Also may be a good idea to check your temps on your card. If it gets hot it could be a problem. The only other cause I know of being a power issue (card not getting enough power)

I get the same thing. I have the 182 drivers and I was getting the same thing with the 186 drivers and the 185 drivers. I am able to play Mutliplayer without any problems. Mine just crash during the Boot camp.

I've seen that problem in the past and the only way I managed to fix it was by uninstalling the nvidia drivers and using nvidia driver removal tool then reinstalling the fresh nvidia drivers.

Also may be a good idea to check your temps on your card. If it gets hot it could be a problem. The only other cause I know of being a power issue (card not getting enough power)

I have removed an reinstalled the driver as well as the demo, but it still happens. This is annoying as hell...

It can't be heat problems as i am playing other games just fine.

I am having the same issue, but only in myltiplayer games. I can play singleplayer just fine. If anyone figures out how to fix this, please let me know.

same for me started after i installed the new 1.02 patch full game UK copy goes to black screen and says recieving in the middle of the screen i cant also hear everythink this is not a over heating thing changed drivers down to the 182 same thing put drivers up same thing changed all setting on the game same thing,

I see i'm not alone with this problem. Let's hope someone can help us soon.

I am reinstalling vista tomorrow anyways, maiby that will fix it. But it's strange as i'm not having any problems playing other games.

+1 more for this issue, though I get it in other games too occasionally. Unfortunately, it always crops up in the same place, and I got lucky getting past the first crash area.

I assume that it's a graphics driver failure because I got a display error. Running a nvidia geforce 8800 GTS 512, the driver version on there was 181.XX. I'll update, and say if it's solved my current crash location. Or not.

I'm still having this issue, even after updating my video driver.

Intel core2quad 2.4ghz

6gb ddr2 ram

Geforce 9800 gtx+ 512mb

vista 64bit

Make sure you download the 1.02 patch again then apply that after reinstalling (there were 2 different 1.02 patches)

Although, I think I've heard 4 different issues in this thread so each will likely have a different fix.

Zipman, that sounds like corrupt files or a bad mod causing issues (maybe even securom/fade)

AJsarge, that definitely sounds like either a driver or hardware issue, try running a temperature program for both cpu and graphics card in the background and alt tab to check it regularly.

As for the others, not sure yet, could be a number of things, but keep posting updates when you can.

i GET exactly the same problem (with black screen and "receiving" in middle) and the only way i can get out is by pressing ctrl+alt+dlt and closing arma. except my problem happens with both single player and multilayer, but much much more often in multilayer. it happens at least once every 30 minutes and i have to restart the game. ITS REALLY ANNOYING!!!!

this happens every time i step into a car, chopper, looking at map, or going in an area with a lot of textures

someone please help i just bought the game and there is no way i will enjoy it if this bug keeps happening

Still the same problem after reinstalling vista. This sucks... Really want to play this game.

Is there anyone from BI that can even suggest something in this thread.

Here is a large group of people who have bought Arma2 and are unable to play it.Please add your suggestions for any help is much appreciated.

So far I have tried the 182, 185, 186 and 190 Beta drivers. Keeps crashing and telling me the video driver crashed and was repaired. I get it much more in Boot camp than in Mutliplayer. I checked my temps and I don't even get 80C on either. I have 2 9800GTX+'s in SLI.

Is there anyone from BI that can even suggest something in this thread.

Here is a large group of people who have bought Arma2 and are unable to play it.Please add your suggestions for any help is much appreciated.

*"civilian shareholders to big business...please respond...."*

haha.......

*crickets*

Also having the same problem. Someone just started a thread about the same problem called "receiving?"

I would redirect him here but I see no admin replies or talk of a new patch on either of these threads. ugg...can i have my $ back?

Just checking back in with everyone...I keep messing with my drivers, reinstalling them etc. I'm able to play in multiplayer for about 20-30 minutes before the screen goes black. In singleplayer it happens about every 5-10 minutes.

Just a thought...how many of you guys bought the game through steam? I did.

I have the same issue and it is not confined to ArmA 2. This is a know problem with nVidia cards (and Vista), just see http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ . It is not confined to ArmA 2. Although everyone's experience will be different.

When I get this error whilst running ArmA or FSX for instance, I get a blank screen for about 4 seconds, then the game will recover. Unforutnataly with ArmA 2 it never recovers from the blank screen, so I have to control, alt, delete and close ArmA 2.

Still hunting for a way to fix my nvlddmkm error issues.

Keep us updated brotha. It's a sad time when we can't even enjoy one of the funnest games of the year.

I play with XP and ATI and for me this bug is only a loading screen- like the game is loading terrain choppily instead of in the background. Really annoying when it freezes mid-firefight.

Maiby the problem is the latest DirectX update. After reinstalling Vista i diden't update DirectX, and played Fllen Earth without problems. Today just after i updated it crashes the same way as Arma does. Too bad i diden't try Arma, but i diden't think about it until now.

Can anyone try and see if this works? I have reinstalled Vista 2 days in a row, don't want a 3rd one.

So I get this in the Demo. Do you guys get this in the Demo or Full version???

I'm getting this problem too. Unfortunately, it looks like a Vista problem and there is no real solution.

http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/01/01/display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-and-has-successfully-recovered/ Many people have the same problem on here, some even reported the problem starting on Windows 7. It looks like the only way to get rid of the problem is to move to XP.

I'm getting this problem too. Unfortunately, it looks like a Vista problem and there is no real solution.

http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/01/01/display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-and-has-successfully-recovered/ Many people have the same problem on here, some even reported the problem starting on Windows 7. It looks like the only way to get rid of the problem is to move to XP.

I am on Xp and have the the problem in multiplayer after 5 - 10 mins

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Apparantly i fixed my problem, it was because i had set video memory to very high. Changing it back to medium worked for me.