Sign in to follow this  
rusky25

ArmA II Random Lockup

I get lag spikes that are sometimes fatal to the current game. At its worst, the game begins forgetting to render. Entire grids of landscape disappear, and then the frozen screen shatters into shard-like patterns of sky poking though the models. If I catch this process early I press escape, bringing up a Receiving screen awaiting the menu. The loading screen is infinite unless I minimize Arma with control alt delete. The Task Manager informs me that my computer is running at 3% capacity or so. Upon switching back to the game it usually goes back to 30 FPS.

As I've said in some of my other posts, there is only a single unifying factor in this whole issue - Arma 2 itself.

There is such a diverse set of hardware specs being listed here (even different manufacturers) that it is clear that peoples rigs are not what is at fault. Keanez's work around has helped me play the game with a bit more stability but problems still occur on open ended missions such as Razor 2 and Manhattan.

I agree with the post here that said that the posts are dying out on here simply because BIS are not listening. Think about it, Arma 1 was out for 3 years or so and they never fixed it properly. There were beta patches being released for it 2 years after it was released!

BIS are not worried about us individual customers. Not when they have the likes of the USMC and UK armed forces buying VBS2. Arma 2 is simply a beta which We buy, moan about the bugs then BIS take the feedback and create a working game called VBS3...

I agree with the post here that said that the posts are dying out on here simply because BIS are not listening.

I agree, too. Still no official statement from BIS :(

Bump...

They don't listen because they don't care. As long they have $$$ flowing they won't give a shit 'bout us and "waste time for minor issues"

I think many people underestimate the difficulty of fixing problems like this. Most players don't have issues with the game crashing frequently, but a small number do. This suggests there isn't something fundamentally flawed with the game, because otherwise everyone would be having crashes. I would guess that the reason there's no official statement is because there's nothing to officially say. They do read the forums and are aware people have these problems, but they're not going to say "it'll be fixed in the next patch" or "it'll be fixed in 6 months" because they don't know the cause of it any more than we do.

Some observations: the demo seemed more stable for me. I actually left it running on a SP editor mission (since you can't save them in the demo) for 2 days and played it numerous times. It did eventually CTD though. With the full game it crashes within about half an hour - pretty rapidly, at any rate.

Last night I installed the latest nVidia driver (190.38) and restored all the settings to default, disabled nHancer etc. Set up a quick firefight and played it twice, and on the 3rd run through CTD early in the mission (Vista reported the video drivers had crashed; it was able to recover, but the game wasn't so I had to End Task).

Following the advice about the card performance settings, I had a fiddle but confused - my GTX 295 reports some strange clock speeds. So the only real change I made was set to set the fan to manual, 100%. This made it pretty loud... but I also was able to spend quite a bit of time playing that same firefight - I think I played through it at least 6 times, plus I added an A-10 and flew around a bit which often seems to result in crashes. Not enough time to make any definitive statements, but it did seem to run for quite a bit longer than it normally did.

I'm intending to leave the game running today while I'm at work and see if it dies during the day or not.

Addition: left it running for over 7 hours straight without any issues, with the GPU fan set to 100%. The plot thickens!

Edited by some kind of guy

I've got exactly the same problem. The game freezes just after I pick up the map case on the bench next to the tent in the castle in Vyshnoye. To get to the castle, I'd gone through all the red x's on the map in order (Marines-Empty camp-Photo camp), then to Vishnoye to chat to the dude there, then up to the farm south of Vishnoye to chat to the bloke there, then on to the castle.

Suspecting the game, I reverted back to the start of the mission, started playing again doing the tasks in a different order. This time I went to the quarry, the Red x enemy camp with the photo's, then down into Staroye, boycotting the castle at Vyshnoye entirely. I got as far as defending the village, and it freezes again halfway through defending the barn. This makes me think it's a trigger problem.

For me at least, this is definitely NOT a hardware problem. I've monitored all the temps on my rig whilst playing and none got close to their limits. All latest drivers and updates obviously installed, including patch 1.02 (need you even ask?!). To make absolutely sure I rolled back my OC to stock speeds and tested, same problem. The game freezes. My computer does not freeze however, I can Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the game and use my system normally. No error messages, no memory dumps, no BSODs. The game just freezes.

In summary, it's a problem with the game, not my set up. I've tried to approach the mission from two different angles, every time it freezes in the same spot.

Anyone fixed this or worked it out? Cos it's P*SS*NG ME OFF!!

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Oh and, duh, I should obviously have said that the mission in question is 'Razor Two'.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Further: at least it's been reported as an official bug (#2840). See here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2840

Buahaha, i got meself 3GB of RAM and a 260GTX, so it should work okay now!

And still, 1.3 is released, and no fucking fix on the way!

I think many people underestimate the difficulty of fixing problems like this. Most players don't have issues with the game crashing frequently, but a small number do. This suggests there isn't something fundamentally flawed with the game, because otherwise everyone would be having crashes. I would guess that the reason there's no official statement is because there's nothing to officially say. They do read the forums and are aware people have these problems, but they're not going to say "it'll be fixed in the next patch" or "it'll be fixed in 6 months" because they don't know the cause of it any more than we do.

Some observations: the demo seemed more stable for me. I actually left it running on a SP editor mission (since you can't save them in the demo) for 2 days and played it numerous times. It did eventually CTD though. With the full game it crashes within about half an hour - pretty rapidly, at any rate.

Last night I installed the latest nVidia driver (190.38) and restored all the settings to default, disabled nHancer etc. Set up a quick firefight and played it twice, and on the 3rd run through CTD early in the mission (Vista reported the video drivers had crashed; it was able to recover, but the game wasn't so I had to End Task).

Following the advice about the card performance settings, I had a fiddle but confused - my GTX 295 reports some strange clock speeds. So the only real change I made was set to set the fan to manual, 100%. This made it pretty loud... but I also was able to spend quite a bit of time playing that same firefight - I think I played through it at least 6 times, plus I added an A-10 and flew around a bit which often seems to result in crashes. Not enough time to make any definitive statements, but it did seem to run for quite a bit longer than it normally did.

I'm intending to leave the game running today while I'm at work and see if it dies during the day or not.

Addition: left it running for over 7 hours straight without any issues, with the GPU fan set to 100%. The plot thickens!

I find it hard to believe it isn't something with the game. Myself and mostly all others can play other games just fine and when you start Arma 2 then you have the issues. Can't be hardware either so what is the issue.? The video drivers are being called the wrong way or something. I think its definitely software related! I have tried underclocking my GPU and setting my system back to stock settings without any luck.

Playing around with the graphic settings in Arma seem to make the difference. Its the way the game is using the video drivers or something along those lines that is causing the CTD and BSOD. Someone mentioned about the GPU ram being filled by Arma 2 and the way he described the problem kinda sounded like the problem. Hopefully 1.04 does something to fix this. I have a bug report in on the BSOD and it was just given a due date of 9-28-09 I think. So I have my figures crossed that they can fix it with 1.04.

I can deal with the AI bugginess and stuff, but crashing every 15, 30 minutes is a huge pain.

I've been playin' ArmA for about 4 hours straight, and no crashes. So i have one thing to say: SUCKERS!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:mad:

I'd suggest reading through the crash thread but honestly, most of what I'm hearing here sounds like a hardware issue.

BSOD is most commonly caused by a hardware issue (sometimes drivers). If the game crashes to BSOD then you can't start your com then it's definitely not arma related.

I'd suggest for everyone here to run 3dmark, or another intensive benchmarking program and monitor the temps on your graphics card and CPU.

If you are still getting BSOD or crashes in 3dmark, and your temps are staying relatively low (below 70 deg C) then I'd suggest taking your machines apart, removing all cards and placing them back.

Whilst doing that, make sure all the standoffs (small copper/rubber things your screws go into) have been installed under your motherboard. This is a common issue when people don't concentrate while putting a computer together. The standoffs prevent the MB from touching the case and shorting out, plus if they aren't in enough places your MB could bend and your cards (graphics, Network, Sound, etc) won't make full contact making your computer run oddly.

Although this is just one issue, there are many other causes, but running intensive stress tests like 3dmark and CpuZ should help locate if it's a hardware issue.

Bullshit! I just Bought a New PC From Cyberpower.com worth $2, 500 and it was put together by them, profesional insallation and Wiring. This whole Thing Is ARMA 2 related, I have many of the latest Games Installed and NO problems with any of them, Ran Futuremark 3D NO problems, Yes I have the Latest Drivers and patches....Monkey 101, I Love this Fuckin Game, but she's a Mean Bitch when it come to the most up to date Sofware and hardware!!

:mad:

Bullshit! [...]

Same here. Arma2 still chrashes regularly (Singleplayer and Multiplayer). And still no fix on the way, after all this time. Very annoying :(.

*bump*