Sign in to follow this  
roman lynx

Why don't the leader just shut the frakk up?

I don't know if this is a bug, a suggestion, a mod request or just a rant, so in doubt I put this on general.

I'm very annoyed that whenever I switch to another solder, the leader start doing annoying things instead of staying put and shut up.

It happens quite often but two very important situations are when a divide my squad a carefully position the dudes where I want then to be, then if I have to switch to someone else, the stupid leader start shouting orders.

Another situation is when I let the leader pilot the helicopter, then I position it where I want, turn auto-hover on and switch to the guy in the gun. Then the annoying son of a puta madre start moving the helicopter somewhere else.

Sometimes I feel like the AI is doing that just to annoy me, but again it's probably just me being paranoid.

Do you guys know about any option to turn off leader shouting order when I'm not controlling him? I remember that in Arma 1 this was less of a problem.

Co-op, and tell your friend to speak only when spoken to.

When you switch to another soldier to control the gun, you're giving control of the squad back to the AI. So, those hold position orders you gave a moment ago are now history. He's going to lead the squad however his little AI brain leads him to.. :D

Audio > voices > slider to "zero" (this will also kill VOIP as I recall)

(or you can run the "No_Voices" mod which will limit the chatter)

I would so much like the leader to take a nap while I switch to another guy.

I hope the mod community create a mod to make switch leadership on team switch.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

thanks for the reply thridup, but the problem is not the chatter, but the AI undoing the orders I previously gave.

Another way is to break it up into small fire teams and only lead one of the small teams you don't need to split up. Use High command instead from the outset to control those split fire teams, instead of the team you are leading.

This is the same with Arma1, to be honest your not supposed to switch, in real life it wouldn't happen and changing roles = someone else takes the lead, in this case back to the AI.

Im referring mainly to own missions than campaign if that what your trying it in.

thanks for your reply mrcash,

I understand that realism-wise you are not supposed to switch, but at the moment the AI is so dumb that the only workaround is switch to do the stuff ourselves.

I think that (on single-player) we should retain the ability to give orders as a way to extra-corporeally impersonate the leader, instead of giving the control to the AI.

I think Rainbow Six Raven Shield as an example of how this was perfectly implemented in my opinion.

Yep. I completely agree. The leader (cooper for the campaign) should do nothing.

brilliant! I love the game again!

I opened my latest saved game with the Laza editor and, on the last node ("OnTeamSwitch") I added the following on the subnode "data":

parameter: "value"

value: "group _to selectLeader _to"

and, on the subnode "type", I changed the value from "NOTHING" to "STRING"

now whenever I switch to another team member he becomes the leader and not more annoyances =)

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

hahahaha awesome to hear O'Hara giving the orders =)