Sign in to follow this  
deady

A10 bug or feature?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this - but after flying an A10 for a while, it seems very difficult to gain height.

I was playing a mission where i was air support - everything was fine for about 10 minutes, i was blowing up T80's etc.

Im not a newbie pilot, ive been flying A10's ever since i got OFP (when it was first released in Europe). I can usually take off, complete a mission and manually land again.

However, recently, after a while an A10 just refuses to gain height...I end up having to bail out because i can just about manage to remain level - trying to turn left or right will lose me height and cause me to crash.

Pointing my nose up and applying full power seems useless, i just glide along at the same height.

Is this me being a bad pilot? or has anyone else experienced this?

How much speed did you have when this happened? Its rather frequent that when you are flying around with the A10, doing lots of turns etc. you quickly lose speed which might suddenly result into a crash if you dont keep a close eye at the speedometer all the time.

Ill check my speed next time.

Its not a sudden crash....i just suddenly think "im a bit low i should gain height".  I point nose upwards and apply power, but it just doesnt want to climb.

I end up just flying along level in a 'flare' position, as if im just about to land.

Perhaps it is my speed.  Ill do some more research.

Oh and no im not out of fuel tounge.gif and the plane is undamaged too.

If you do run out of speed, you should not pull up, fly in a level or preferably fly a bit downwards if possible to get more speed and then pull up.

I've not checked, but would flaps up/down or landing gear up/down make a difference?

just a random pointless thought.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowGhost @ Mar. 11 2002,15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've not checked, but would flaps up/down or landing gear up/down make a difference?

just a random pointless thought.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Gear should be in and flaps should be level. You can always go into 3rd person view to verify your flaps position.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowGhost @ Mar. 11 2002,14:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've not checked, but would flaps up/down or landing gear up/down make a difference?

just a random pointless thought.<span id='postcolor'>

Of corse Flaps brake you down.. and gear has the same effect. Try to keep the A-10 above 150 Knots otherwise you'll stall..

I'm a better pilot then driver so i should know this.

If you forget the airspeed you are in trouble cause stalls in combat is deadly.

you just hang there just for the enemy to blow you away.