Sign in to follow this  
WinterMJ

COOP Campaign Bugs, Respawn and Resume Failure

I've been trying to play the campaign in COOP with between 2 and 4 of my friends but 80% of the time we're unable to complete the missions, not because of faulty tactics but because all sorts of gameplay bugs get in the way. The bugs and frustrations are far too numerous for me to stand any hope of listing them all, but here are just a small selection.

First up I'll start with something that could be a feature or a bug, I simply don't know. If just one of your squad members dies then that's it - game over, this is a somewhat unforgiving level of difficulty as often you can still complete a mission with 3 people. However I can forgive that, but why when you die does it pop up a screen saying "20 seconds to respawn..."? Surely this is incorrect as you don't respawn and no option to respawn (I tried pressing every key), the game is just over for everybody.

Now to the main bugs.

MISSION: Harvest Red

1. The Arty option you have under 'Communication' seems to vanish at random during the course of your mission and for no logical reason, making destroying the enemy base an exercise in repeated suicide.

2. The Transport option under 'Communication' sometimes seems to vanish as well, albeit rarely.

3. ANY attempt to RESUME a saved COOP missions invariably results in masses of different bugs and netcode sync issues between players. Sometimes you squad ends up 5000m away for no reason, others see controls going wacky, map details vanishing, people running into walls, squad commands failing to work.

To cut a long story short, the RESUME feature in COOP simply does not work, thus perhaps if players were able to respawn (given a second chance) then we wouldn't need to. The game shouldn't just fail because one person dies, it becomes very unenjoyable after 16 attempts to do something with 14 of those failing due to bugs.

4. During the attack on the main enemy base an allied team is supposed to assist in your assault and radios awaiting for you to give them the go. No matter what menu I check there is no ability to 'Communicate' a "GO" or "ATTACK" command back to get the action started.

5. Sometimes people 'eject' from the helicopter transport at random or simply by changing seats. I've had this happen to me and thus know that it is not an error from having accidentally clicked 'Eject'. In one instance one person fell out and then without anybody doing anything the whole squad dropped out of the helicopter and I haven't even touched my keyboard.

6. Apparently we're supposed to have the ability to use an LAV in this mission, according to the commander it's at our "Disposal". Curious then as there is no ability to enter it, drive it or call for its support in any way from the various and sometimes needlessly confusing command menus.

7. Sometimes we'll start a mission and towns will have NPC's you can talk to in, at other times nobody will be there.

8. When you go to speak with the rebels they don't talk and sometimes one of them hides away inside the chicken coop but also doesn't talk. I've found that the only way to trigger the talk/in-game cutscene bit is to shoot one of them :) . It's the military way I guess lol but shouldn't they respond when you just get close?

I've got about 30 other bugs I can think of, most stemming from the use of Resume (we now ALWAYS have to Revert), but the most annoying remains a lack of respawn. I hope these bugs are fixed so that the game actually becomes playable.

Edited by WinterMJ

Yeah, there's lots of bugs in the campaign. I'm currently playing singleplayer but I've done a bit of co-op. I'm up to the level where you have to go around searching for ChDKz camps, for some reason, I can hear russian voices echoeing as if I'm meant to be near a conversation happening but I'm 1mile or more away from towns or way up in a transport chopper...sounds can echo, only voice though for some reason, when I play the campaign, the game doesn't render completley, it sort of looks like I'm running it at medium settings although I have high settings.

No problems with actual multiplayer, my game renders fine then..some of these bugs were present in Arma...it's a little silly that they're still apparant in Arma 2, surely they would've revised some coding when developing this sequel.

I get the "voices" bug on Harvest Red too, I think it's the radio station and BI still need to work on their audio engine :) .

Sorry just realised, these bugs weren't from Harvest Red but the mission one or two places after.