Sign in to follow this  
thebrokentree

Smoke and Dust to last longer

Is it possible to make the effects such as dust and smoke to stay around longer? This game is so realistic and if they only tweaked this small detail, it would improve the game in so many ways. I hope someone can get this to the developers.

Yea i watched this addon for the first Arma, its ok but just remember the Mud should not be flying in the air in slow motion like this vid

Sounds like a good idea for strong systems, but weaker systems already chug at the dust - which DOES stay a lot longer than in A1. I think BIS tried to get a balance here, modding it ifor those who can afford the framerate is certainly a good idea.

There's also the effect on gameplay. AI will be able to see through the particles, the player(s) will not.

Sure maybe it should be an option but i really would not get this game if i didnt have a strong system. Just seems pointless really cause your paying so much money for effects that you wont see.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Operation Flashpoint 2 is doing it and it looks awesome. Even though the terrain does not look as good as Arma2, that effect alone is making that game very realistic. I am not sure what needs to be done, but i know that it has to be.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Watch the smoke in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8nJvQOciy4&feature=related

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYvgPeXEDYw&feature=related

There's also the effect on gameplay. AI will be able to see through the particles, the player(s) will not.

Well, in the JTD Smoke Effects addon, the dust from collapsing buildings (which hangs around for a LONG time) does indeed block AI view. And in fact all the smoke in the addon has AI viewblock, by default it's disabled (fps eater) but it can be enabled via the config file.

Well, in the JTD Smoke Effects addon, the dust from collapsing buildings (which hangs around for a LONG time) does indeed block AI view. And in fact all the smoke in the addon has AI viewblock, by default it's disabled (fps eater) but it can be enabled via the config file.

I just hope the mud and dirt doesnt float in the air like its on the lunar surface. If your designing this mod, watch the videos i posted above of the real thing.

I was very impressed with dust lingering from vehicles. No one can say that is bad or "short time" its up. From artillery i noticed the dust stays for minute or so as well when bombing cities.

Much much better than ArmA1. I cant really see this as a problem. But for those who want -there will most likely be mods out soon enough.

Sure maybe it should be an option but i really would not get this game if i didnt have a strong system. Just seems pointless really cause your paying so much money for effects that you wont see.

I bought the game mainly for the large landscape, improved AI, new weapons & toys, new editor features and main game features. If it had the graphics of A1 but with all the other improvements intact I'd be perfectly happy.

In fact it might be nice if the "Smoke Linger Duration" could be turned into some kind of graphics options or profile setting. That way people could turn it up - or down.

I'll be right on it :)

You are working on a mod for ArmA 2 that allows smoke to stay longer ?

If you are can you make it so that the AI view is also obstructed ?

I think this would be a very popular mod ! :)

Edited by DennisK4

You are working on a mod for ArmA 2 that allows smoke to stay longer ?

If you are can you make it so that the AI view is also obstructed ?

I think this would be a very popular mod ! :)

It will probably take the form of the current ArmA mod, which is that the new longer lasting smoke is a separate effect layered over the default smoke. This new smoke can spawn viewblock objects and as such it will be this new smoke which will block AI view.

I also tweak the default smoke to match the effect of the new smoke, in ArmA2's case I might even have to pull it back a bit in order to not clog up the game too much. But, rest assured, the final effect will be better, or it won't get released :)

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I just hope the mud and dirt doesnt float in the air like its on the lunar surface. If your designing this mod, watch the videos i posted above of the real thing.

That effect is as per the ingame physics. It's rate of rise & fall closely matches the default rubble that is also spawned by the engine at the same time, and is limited by gravity :)

It will probably take the form of the current ArmA mod, which is that the new longer lasting smoke is a separate effect layered over the default smoke. This new smoke can spawn viewblock objects and as such it will be this new smoke which will block AI view.

I also tweak the default smoke to match the effect of the new smoke, in ArmA2's case I might even have to pull it back a bit in order to not clog up the game too much. But, rest assured, the final effect will be better, or it won't get released :)

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

That effect is as per the ingame physics. It's rate of rise & fall closely matches the default rubble that is also spawned by the engine at the same time, and is limited by gravity :)

Does that mean you can fix it?

I cannot make it fall any faster, because gravity makes things fall at a set rate only (air resistance notwithstanding, and not applicable in this case).

Making it rise faster is the same as giving it more vertical velocity, which just makes it go further up. It's arc of movement is set by gravity so the effect will pretty much be the same.

Actually particles do block AI sight in ArmA 2 :)