Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Arma2 radar 'vehicles'

Does the anti air and anti artillery radars 'work' by default, or do they need scripts to be operational?

The only radar-equipped ground units that I know of are the ZSU23-4 Shilka and the 9K22 Tunguska air defense vehicles. In real life their scanning radars are capable of 15-20km range for detection, but I'd imagine that the IRradar with the green and red squares out to between 2km and 3km maximum (depending on view distance) is all we'll get.

Both vehicles are capable of radar gun tracking (with difficulties at close range, high angular speed). I imagine that in game it's going to be the stone age manual optical targeting.

I figure that for good implementation for AI and human a script is going to be required to scan at long range with likely a text or graphical readout for the human operator to track. The AI gunner is pretty much an automated gun tracking system so no problems there. When human controlled a modded vehicle might have an invisible AI gunner for automated tracking or simply a script to point the gun. Both have shoot on the move capability.

Oh I figure those only work in Warfare and possibly the campaign with a mission-specific silly script that places a map marker over aircraft and artillery origins for every yokel on the BLUFOR to see in real time. They are likely dumb props normally. Best case scenario there's a gamelogic that can be attached to these statics so the scripted pooping of map markers can work in non-Warfare missions too.

They are props, just so that they can be destroyed / damaged by the other side. They really look great, but i had serious mouse lag when i was walking around in a base with several buildings and vehicles - i guess these models use too many details and that kills your fps when they're standing close by.