Sign in to follow this  
MuthaF

ArmA 2 1.01: Bitter Chill - serious bugs

To all of you guys bashing the game, its not bad, infact its great Amazing!

The only problems are the poor dialouge and the *sigh*

2,436 (+) glitches in the game. This game would be alot better if they gave the game either a patch makeover at the least, or more needed a patch surgery. The bugs are more noticable than the need for better dialouge! Geeze!

I'm not going to shelve this one, I'm going to just make due with what I've got for now and hope the patches rack up quick.

Hopefully a patch 1.24 will be the higest it will go. Any more and: :yay:

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I have a weird problem.

When I get advised back to the FOB after loss of radio contact wi the other squad on the base, when I approach the top of the hill ( after clearing up the section of enemy troops at the gate) I always get shot.

OK you might think I'm just hopeless at OFP ARMA etc but this is wierd, after about 10 atttempts ( from 148M to around 130M to the FOB waypoint) i still get shot from somthing which sounds like a sniper at short range. I've tried smoke,everything. I've even tried to send the rest of the AI razor team to the FOB and they get into the base fine but as soon as I switch or follow them I get shot from this invisible unit. It's uncanny. Not one member of my squad spots this ghost unit which kills me eveytime ( but not them).

Has anyone else had this. I wouldnt normaly post but It seems as though this could be a bug, CDF player turns against USMC player?.

Just to reiterate, I cannot reach the top of the FOB without getting kille!

:(

Its a kill/switch. It is a trigger that if you pass into, it will automatically kill you. Many games feature these to limit your movement to a small area. Sadly, this game uses an invisible sniper/AT soldier/machinegunner with 1 hit kills instead of other methods. For example, the origional Mercenaries uses a warning message and if that's not followed then Fightercrafts spawn to bomb you to hell for leaving the assigned boundries, much more favourable because you know what's killing you so you don't drive around looking for a sniper or AT man.

Crysis uses a suit-burn method related to the game dynamics. Also, there are Ambient sharks that attack and kill the player if they stray into the sea to far.

Arma II's killswitch is just embarrasing, for It caused me to run in circles after loading and loading to try and find the murderor. I was even convinced it was the friendly NAPA soldiers around me. It was just too fake for me.

When I tried other solutions to Manhattan, like driving south, I would get blown up by the magic RPG, or if I walked, killed by the magic sniper. It took me a few tries to work out that it was a death zone trigger. I usually write these as mine fields that you can't disarm, and so indicate this in the briefing.

SPOILER (Bitter Chill):

Get the docs (shoot+search the saboteur soldier outside the house/in the road)

Blow up the house with a bomb.

Now return to the ruined Manhattan base.

From there you can try to appreach the USMC in south some 10km away, but circle of death kills you about 1,5km before that. Is it fair, dunno, anyway this way authors made sure you understand this is not the way to go.

These NAPA guys suggest you can A) goto priest in Gorga (he's left from there due russians) or B) Novy Sobor to meet the war dudes Martin or Michael (they are not there I guess, town in full or ruskies).

War is ugly, frustrating, surprizing and so on, what can you do? In this point you propably feel all these feelings big time, WOW, what a game. Hey wait, is this a bad thing. This is maybe something these guys would really feel out there.

Plus, that was really stupid boyscout stuff from you with reporting that priests weapon cache > maybe NAPA guys rightfully so just wanted to fuck with you with these two bogus straws (A and B). Think of it, it's was a really awfull thing what you brought to these people.

As NAPA guys told you SAMS will down the chopper mid return flight. Nevertheless, call the chopper with radio. Before it's shot down, it goes quite a long way and - most importantly - your struggle will continue.

As it often is, once you know the solution to this mission, it'll take 1/10 of the time to complete the mission.

Enjoy Arma, I do, with it's rugged ways.

I havent had any of the bugs that most people have had in the single player mode. All my missions have often gone according to plan, but that getting shot from nowhere was irritating because of leaving a specific area. I felt more trapped like a rat and i thought the same thing as David Schofield, i thought the NAPA guys were killing me. Yet they were running aroung me and not shooting me, if i hadnt of checked the Forums and David Scholfields Analysis of the situation i may of given up and started all over again. I only knew that because of checking these forums. If i hadnt done so i would of thought that it was a bug in the game. But now i know its not. What a bizarre approach the developers used though?

Multiplayer they should of just worked on one mode only and thats Warfare mode and co-op modes and really honed it to be the most awesome warfare experience ever. Does battlefield have deathamatch and team deathmatch? NO . Does counter strike worry about any other modes other than Bomb and hosties modes? NO. Call of duty 4 mulitplayer mode was only fun in one mode and that was team deathmatch but you KNEW what you were getting into and playing thats why you payed for it. Arma 2 needed one mode that it was hugely recognised for, WARFARE and Co-op modes. It didnt need anything else. I LOVE the editor mode, but you guys are right, the single player campaign has a very bizarre feeling to it and can almost be off putting as a single player experience even though i love it. The compass etc really opens the doors to some amazingly realistic approaches to battles and missions. But in its currant state it would of been better off as a linear campaign, istead of just having magic killers kill you if your not going the right way.

IF you guys havent tried it, you really need to try the editor suite that is way less irritating than the campaign. You can just make your own missions and campaigns.

Edited by nyran125

First of all, thanks for the game

Second: Just script a Command HQ chat in which they tell any excuse in order to avoid player go to the designated WP and avoid the insta - kill

Makes things less frustrating....

now this getting really fucked up.i guess im at the end of the bitter chill,i made my way out of conflicts reached the napa guys,they asked me into the house,i said i like bitter chill after that it goes into the loading screen then nothing happens,it just wont load now wtf?i've my way out for nothing?

I had no trouble finishing Bitter Chill, just in completing the objectives.

First, I took the Humvee with the .50 Cal from Manhatten, went to check the house for documents. Got there, no one around, so I entered the house. I then reported that there were no documents in there.

Checking my mission tasks, it said I also had to destroy the house...so I did, then there was a lot of radio traffic telling me I had fucked up BAD...get my ass back to Manhatten.

On the way, the radio traffic telling me something's wrong. As I approached the base entry side road, spotted the troops waiting there, disembarked and got to the base on foot with no problems (didn't kill any of the guys at the foot of the hill on the road).

I get to Manhatten, and everyone's dead cept for the one guy who tells me I gotta get south quick smart, and that the Russkies are pissed at me and razor team.

So I figured out that travelling by road won't be such a good idea, we ran all the way, avoiding villages, and keeping to heavily wooded areas where possible.

The choice comes up to go to NAP or CDF, so I chose CDF because as one of the team said "at least they can get us home". So avoiding villages, keeping to forests, and all of a sudden, game saved on me. I thought oh, oh, here we go, the whole Russian army is gonna hit me now. But lo and behold, the CDF were briefing me and my men, told me I had a telephone call.

And we were recruited for Badlands.

Same bug as CM:

Got the docs, blew the house, cleared out FOB (managed to save spunky and some of sabre too by rushing back double-time and beating the ruskies to the punch. A scripting error message turns up to point out how rubbish the mission's scripting was to not anticipate this.) Cutscene with simmons dying, that's fine, napa show up and have chat: Sams? Nah, I won't call in the chopper. You'd like to help? Well, if it stops my gr8 m8 Maddox getting blown up en route, I'll take a ride in your hatchback to Novy Sobor.

Oh, what's this? We've gone straight past there, the driver's bailed at the church, and the car must have child-proof locks on it, because none of us can get out.

Great. Yet another example of the game's scripting failing to trigger properly (laser-target designation at the start, anyone?).

Patches plz, 1.03 hasn't fixed any of these long-term issues, I patched from scratch, hadn't even loaded them game up before patching directly to 1.03, not fixed these problems.

Edited by Ace42

I ran into a really weird bug at the end of the mission. I chose to do the NAPA route after the crash. Met up with the four NAPA guys 1km away, they gave me coordinates for another NAPA town about 2km away at 081060 just above hill Altar. Drove there, approached the NAPA personnel. All of a sudden, both the camp "Commander" and a NAPA guy in a ghillie suit start talking to me at once. The ghillie suit guy asks me for the "bitter chill" challenge, I answer, then he keeps on talking. Meanwhile, the commander gives me a choice of whether I want NAPA to give me a ride to Electrozavodsk or not. Before I can answer, I'm teleported in a cutscene to some castle at 112110 where the sniper hands me a long-range radio. Mission ends. Next mission, Delaying the Bear, starts at this castle.

...What?

Edited by OODA