Sign in to follow this  
Tajin

Stuck trying to join a multiplayer server.

Well others mentioned multiplayer problems and I've heard that the beta patch helped them or atleast that it works after a few tries. Anyhow, I've been trying more than just a few times in the past days and so far I've not been able to join even 1 multiplayer game.

My situation is as follows:

1. Router

- Demilitarized Zone is active so traffic should pass trough just fine

- Port 2303 is forwarded (just to be sure)

2. Serverbrowser

- seems to work just fine

3. Joining

- now this is where the trouble starts:

3.1 Connecting

- fine so far, status shows the message "Tajin connected"

3.2 Joining the mission

- after connecting the screen where we usually select our roles for the mission is shown. That screen is empty though. No Missionname, no Slots, no players. Basically just 2 buttons "disconnect" and "ok".

- "disconnect" works just fine xD

- "ok" I suddenly get to see the list of players on the right side, all names in gray. Also an slot becomes visible but its always only 1 slot and I cant select it since ArmA tells me it is already recieving mission data. Well it is receiving 0kb of 0kb total to be precise.

- In other words, this is as far as I get.

I've tried a few things and one thing that is suspicious to me is that the folder where ArmA2 stores its userprofiles and settings is always set to "read-only" even when I change this. Could it be that the game prevents itself from saving data here ?

Please shed some light on this. I mean, the campaign is quite nice but multiplayer basically is what I bought this game for, so I'd be glad if I could actually use it. :rolleyes:

Well others mentioned multiplayer problems and I've heard that the beta patch helped them or atleast that it works after a few tries. Anyhow, I've been trying more than just a few times in the past days and so far I've not been able to join even 1 multiplayer game.

My situation is as follows:

1. Router

- Demilitarized Zone is active so traffic should pass trough just fine

- Port 2303 is forwarded (just to be sure)

2. Serverbrowser

- seems to work just fine

3. Joining

- now this is where the trouble starts:

3.1 Connecting

- fine so far, status shows the message "Tajin connected"

3.2 Joining the mission

- after connecting the screen where we usually select our roles for the mission is shown. That screen is empty though. No Missionname, no Slots, no players. Basically just 2 buttons "disconnect" and "ok".

- "disconnect" works just fine xD

- "ok" I suddenly get to see the list of players on the right side, all names in gray. Also an slot becomes visible but its always only 1 slot and I cant select it since ArmA tells me it is already recieving mission data. Well it is receiving 0kb of 0kb total to be precise.

- In other words, this is as far as I get.

I've tried a few things and one thing that is suspicious to me is that the folder where ArmA2 stores its userprofiles and settings is always set to "read-only" even when I change this. Could it be that the game prevents itself from saving data here ?

Please shed some light on this. I mean, the campaign is quite nice but multiplayer basically is what I bought this game for, so I'd be glad if I could actually use it. :rolleyes:

Does your Router have NAT enabled?

It's an D-Link DIR-301 and it has NAT.

Anyhow I don't think the router is the problem as connecting to a server basically works.

It's an D-Link DIR-301 and it has NAT.

Anyhow I don't think the router is the problem as connecting to a server basically works.

Have you updated to 1.01?

Well ofcourse I did, and it made no real difference. (except that the occasional scripterrors are now hidden *woohoo, better try to fix them next time*)

Has anyone else noticed the "read-only" flag on the profile folders ? I still suspect that this might have something to do with the problem.

This happened to me in arma 1 mate, its a firewall issue.

You need to forward ports 2302, 2303, 2305 and 2307 both TCP and UDP.

Google port-forwarding to learn how.

Hmm thanks, so far I've only forwarded 2303. I'll try adding the other ports aswell. I have DMZ enabled though, which usually makes portforwarding obsolete. Lets hope I'm wrong with that.

I think it's a ArmA II / Gamespy UPnP problem, since it works fine in ArmA 1.

I misunderstood your problem. We tried to address a NAT negotiation problem in Arma 2 in the latest patch but that is probably unrelated.

Edited by Maruk

I'll have another look at it and make a screenshot when I get home. Hope that will make things clearer.

Very well, here we go:

http://tajin.evilhosting.de/connected.jpg

http://tajin.evilhosting.de/receiving.jpg

I've tried forwarding all the ports mentioned above, makes no difference. I think I can clearly say that this is not an router-problem and the 1.01 Patch doesn't seem to help either. Any advice ?

ps.: tried a server with a custom mission today and it somehow let me slip into the game after downloading that mission (must have been lucky, because that usually doesn't happen). Atleast it proves that the connection works. Problem is I still wasn't able to select any slot and ended up beeing a ghost in the game, fixed to one position.

Edit: Here's another update: I found out that even though I can't join any server, I can host one and people can join it without any problems. This is getting weird. :/

Edited by Tajin

bump.

Same problem still exists, any chance of getting this resolved ?

It certainly sounds like a firewall type issue.

What is your motherboard?

I'll bet you a pint your on a Nvidia board.

I had a friend, with an Nvidia chipset board (680i I believe), who installed the NVIDIA NETWORK ACCESS MANAGER along with the drivers, which is basically a hidden firewall in your system and blocks a hell of a lot of games. A google search will return a lot of hits as its a big issue. I would suggest making a system restore point (just in case) and removing all the related NVIDIA drivers from the Add/Remove Programs menu in Control Panel. If you have a Nvidia board of course. Then re-install all with exception of network access manager, and all related 'network' options for that matter.

Otherwise, I would try to deactivate all firewalls on my computer, including Microsofts security centre with CMD, and limit the programs that start when my system boots (MSCONFIG).

Are you on XP or Vista?

Nop, there shouldn't be any Nvidia drivers at all on my system.

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD

System Model: MS-7512

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Also I highly doubt this has anything to do with my router or any sort of firewall (yup I've disabled them all). It would seem that way if I wasnt able to host, but able to play. I've never had a router-problem where it was the other way around, it wouldn't really make sense either. Its not even that I can't connect to a server I'm just not able to join the game once I'm on a server.

Plus, there are no problems like this on any other game, not even Arma1.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the help, but please spare me any more "this is a router problem"-posts, because it isn't.

Edited by Tajin

That is strange and I am totally puzzled, sorry pal.

Lets try to narrow it down.

Are people able to join you when you host?

You have deactivated personal firewalls, windows firewall, antivirus programs and other security applications or any existing emulators, virtual drives...

What point are you able to get to, i.e. slot selection. Does an error occour or do you simply freeze on 'Receiving'?

Maybe you have a corrupt Winsock setting. Windows sockets settings may get corrupted due to the installation of a networking software, or due to Malware. You will be able connect to the Internet, but the packets won't transfer back and forth.

This will reset/repair the Winsock configuration.

Goto Start -> Run

Type cmd

Type netsh winsock reset

Hit enter

restart PC

try again

Edited by nedley

Yup, a friend joined my server and it worked nicely. When I try to join a server I get as far as in the screenshots above. Except for one time, when I somehow got into the game but couldn't pick a role anyhow, so I just basically just spectating. All of this led me to the conclusion that the connection works and problem is likely to be something else.

I guess I'll just try my luck today and see if reinstalling ArmA helps and I'll give that winsock thing a try too.

I too have multiplayer connection issues

If Iam connecting to my mate who is hosting a user generated multiplayer mission , it doesnt connect properly , just times out.

IF he changes mission to a stock mission I can connect fine ( he then loads his mission and we can play )

Weird !

In arma1 no such problems exist , I can connect to him no problem

PS.

We tried using hamachi and no problems connecting.

Edited by shadowze

Maybe his config disallows downloading of custom missions, although I can't imagine why that would be the case. The other possibility is that your pc may not be able to download or create that custom mission file. Is the mpmissions folder in your mydocuments/Arma2 existing ?

Well back to my situation.

I haven't tried the winsock thing yet, but I've reinstalled arma + patch 1.01. That didn't change anything though. I'm a bit clueless at this point.

Tryout the winsock solution mate. Its very quick and simple, but may fix your problem.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

That is a good point you made though Tajin.....

Are your 'My Documents' read only? Have you got the appropriate .armaprofiles files and directories?

Quick and simple it was, but it didn't help.

Hmmm, is there any good reason why I shouldn't be allowed to play in multiplayer games ?

Did I accidentially insult an developer, without knowing it ?

Guess I'll never know. :/

Quick and simple it was, but it didn't help.

Hmmm, is there any good reason why I shouldn't be allowed to play in multiplayer games ?

Did I accidentially insult an developer, without knowing it ?

Guess I'll never know. :/

Was actually trying to alter my setting to try to get your problem on my system.

Turning on UPnP on my router did it exactly. Could see the games, ping them, connect but not slot select, and my ping was thousands.

Try turning it off.

Otherwise, maybe a system format if your serious about the game.

Could be the only way if you have some sort of corrupt setting blocking you...

What is your ISP? Some have a history of suddenly changing people to require proxy settings to be entered manually as they had a sudden increase in downloads.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

One other suggestion, disable everything running but essential windows settings.

Goto Start, run, type 'msconfig'

Tick 'selective startup'

Leave all boxes ticked.

Goto the Startup tab.

Disable everything that isn't essential or windows programs

Goto 'Services'

Click 'Hide all microsoft services'

Disable All Services.

Save/Apply the settings, reboot your PC.

Try again and report back.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

and I just realised I gave you the wrong info before on resetting your winsocket.

You should open command promt 'cmd' in the run menu to reset your winsocket.

no worries, im familiar with command prompt. Used it anyway ;). The reset worked fine, it just didn't change anything. What you said about UPnP sounds very interesting, I'll give that a try. Oh and thanks for the effort, if you ever need something scripted, let me know xD

Hi all

I think i have a similar problem... well i see the servers, i can connect to them and i can play... but suddenly i loose the connection to the server sometimes after 10min, sometimes after 2hours... i have this on every server i was on... here's what i tried already.

1.) Firewall Firmware Update (Zyxel Zywall 2 Plus)

2.) Hardware drivers up to date

3.) Patched ArmA to 1.02 (german version)

4.) Ports 2300-2330 and 23021-23023 are opened and forwarded

5.) winsock settings are reseted

6.) Software Firewall and Antivir are closed

7.) Every Transfer Protocoll / service disabled except TCP/IP

But i'm still loosing connection (my ping is stable at 30-60ms) but suddenly there comes the message "no answer for 10 seconds, 11,12,13, and so on... When i press esc and return to lobby i cant join the game anymore.

Someone knows this problem? What can i do? i dont know what else i could try....

greets

EDIT: ah i saw somone writing about problems with EVGA-Network manager drivers... i reinstalled the drivers and disabled the NVIDIA Network manager... no change

Edited by Stormcrow85

It doesn't sound like a typical Firewall/NAT/Port issue, as you are able to connect in the first instance.

What it sounds like to me is a problem with either your connection or broadband line.

Try the following:

Update your system drivers/firmware.

Goto the manufacturer's website and download the lastest driver for your network adapter, and try to update the router firmware if possible.

Manually assign your connection an IP.

Sometimes another connection into your network may attempt to use your IP. Assign a manual IP address something higher in the subnet of the default. For example, your gateway IP might be 192.168.0.1, and your PC IP 192.168.0.2. Instead, assign this as 192.168.0.20... anything upto the max subnet (249).

Wireless connection?

If yes, change the channel on your router (1-11).

(I have experienced connection drops before using wireless setup, because another near router is using the same channel).

Wireless connection utility.

Sometimes Windows own wireless connection wizard and some manufacturers ulities conflict, causing seemily random drops from your connection. Usually the best option is to disable the windows wizard and use the utility.

Test your connection when the drop happens.

Open command prompt quickly as soon as the drop occours.

Ping both your router and a website. Type:

Ping 192.168.0.1 (or maybe a different address depending on your routers default gateway address).

If the connection times out then you have a connection issue with your PC.

If not, ping www.google.com (or any other).

If the connection times out then you have a connection issue with your broadband line.

If that is the case, contact the ISP and ask for a diagnostic test on your line. Sometimes lines are set at too high speeds, which causes routing errors. Packets are sent too quickly and returned to the ISP. They might slow your time to decrease the issues if this is the case.

If you need any help how to do any of this, reply here and I will walk you trough it. Will need your software specs.