Sign in to follow this  
Bad Pilot

Joystick Setup for Helicopters

People often ask me: "Fenix, why are you such an ace helicopter pilot?" :confused:

For their benefit (and for mine if I ever lose my damn configs again :j:) here's how my joystick is setup for flight. :cool:

Thrust - slider

Left/Right Turn - <no bind>

Bank Left/Right - X-axis

Left/Right Pedal - Z-axis (twist grip)

Nose Down/Up - Y-axis

Et voila! :bounce3:

Does anyone use the Left/Right Turn binds?

No, i guess I never did understand what the left/right turn bind was for, wat is it for? But other than that i got same setup, and I'm quite the pilot too, i can fly as low as 1m above the ground! :) soon I'll set up my wheel to drive vehicles. Then Im gonna modfy my treadmill and set it up as a controller so i can run too! And I'll get an exercise bike so i can ride bike throughout chernarus xD

usb bike! cool!

lol i know! Hey what is Left/Right Turn? I dont get what it does for aircraft.

The fact that Left Turn / Right Turn was bound by default instead of Left Pedal / Right Pedal is a small but significant error that persisted all through ArmA1's life (and A2 now?)

It was an attempt at an "arcade" combination of the yaw and bank axes for people with simple controllers or perhaps simple minds. The consequence is many people got very odd flight control behavior out of the box (coupled or switching yaw/bank). Many complaints about the flying of helicopters originated not from problems in the flight model, but just bad default axis/key binds.

That is an utterly stupid manner of programming joystick controls for ArmA2. If you program your pedals/twist joystick to "Left Turn/Right Turn" then you will command bank with that command, end of story. The author has no clue what he's talking about.

Aircraft Controls

Bank - commands roll

Pedal - commands yaw

Turn - commands roll or yaw based on speed and is entirely designed for people that don't have enough joystick axes or use keyboard and mouse to fly.

So if I setup the pedals to my axis rather than the turn action I wont get the pedal/joystick all in one axis crazyness?

I hated that with ArmA 1 and now 2 as well.

Right, if you have a 3 joystick axes you want to bind them to bank, pitch, and pedal and leave "turn" the heck alone (no bind).

I don't even have a working PC joystick so I'm going to try binding the independent controls to keyboard/mouse and see how it works for me.