Sign in to follow this  
desertjedi

Best way to set up "compatible" hosted server

I'd like to occasionally run a hosted server that's open to the public (small number of players) where people don't have to worry about having the right mods. I guess the answer to the that is to run the game "vanilla". But, being the host, can I run my usual sound mod (HIFIFX)? In other words, are sound mods "client-side" and don't interfere with people joining my hosted server?

For more compatibility, is there anything I can do with the mod keys - like make my server not care about them? This is one area that I don't understand well. Again, my server would be hosted.

I read a lot of peeps' posts where they just want to play a non-ACE, non-Evo, non-Domination mission without having to have a ton of mods. I hear a lot of frustration out there concerning this.

I know some enjoyable no-mod MP missions and would like to set up a server where it's "easy to join". I would probably run v1.14. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sound and Graphic enhancment mods are client side only. You can turn off key checking in the server.cfg. Have a look at the ArmA Wiki it will show you a list of options that you can do to customise your server. Only problem with hosting at home is make sure you open the correct ports and setup port forwarding, you will need a good upload speed too if you want say more than 3+ players to join.

According to the BI wiki, the server.cfg is for dedicated servers.

Thanks for the info, it looks like I can probably use many of the mods I always use.

Judging from your posts I assumed thats what you wanted to do. If you have a dual core pc you can run the server.exe on one core and run your game on another core, (using affinity) it works quite well