Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Im thinking about upgrading my specs. So far I want an intel core i5 but im not sure on what kind of graphics card. Im thinking about getting a geforce GT 430 (right now I only have a geforce 240). Will that be better than what I have and if so how much? Im on a tight budget so this seemed reasonable. Also if i get these new parts then im probably going to have to change my motherboard. I would love some reccomendations on a motherboard.

what budget do you have? an i5 quad isn't going to do you much good with such a slow videocard. In that case it might be better to go PhenomII quad with a faster videocard.

hi guys! gtx 570 + rezolution 1920x1080 is good combination for ArmaII? video setting on high or very high? someone have this specifications? Thanks!

Edited by endofwar

yep, can recommend the GTX570, usually playing on 1680x1050 cause my monitor doesnt support more, but i tried it with HD resolution as 3D with ATOC & very high, goes nice, but you should turn VSync off.

what budget do you have? an i5 quad isn't going to do you much good with such a slow videocard. In that case it might be better to go PhenomII quad with a faster videocard.

Id much rather have the i5. I trust that brand more. Then what video card would you reccomend? I can forget about the 500 series but I heard that the i5/i7 has a good integrated graphics card. Would it be able to run arma 2 on medium settings with the integrated graphics card?

No, it might be ok for an integrated gpu but it's nowhere near a $130 dedicated gpu. I wouldn't spend any less on a gpu for a gaming rig as that's where the performance and price/performance starts to get decent.

If you dont want to spend that much try to look for good secondhand deals, I got my gtx260's for 60 and 69 euro's (including shipping).

compare gpu's here

Edited by Leon86

I installed the CPU, but it looks like it makes worse noise? I am planning to change the fans in the computer, they to make noise. What could be the cause of so much noise on fan of new CPU? my computer detects the new cpu and runs fine.

Speedfan gives a very cool impression, lowering speed from 100% does reduce noise a lot, what do you guys recommend?

Auto speed or manual? By the way, i dont have the side case on because of the summer.

Edited by Sgt Gul

speedfan doesnt do anything if the bios fan controls are still on.

If the cooler isnt on right it cant cool the cpu and the bios kicks the fan to 100%. If speedfan says the cores arent that hot it's probably ok.

But it could also be today was a very hot day, temps go up, fan goes up.

You can probably adapt fan control settings in te bios as well, asus usually hides it under "hardware monitor", you can also see the cpu temps there, so maybe its worth a look in any case.

I see, i think the fan is good on the CPU. Because it fitted right on it, and i dont have any big programs open at the moment. It sits around 41C. But maybe if i launch arma2, then it will rise. Is it wise to disable fan from Bios? and use speedfan only? It only makes lot of noise when the fan is on 100%. When i lower it in speedfan, the noise is significantly lower.

BTW how do i know if the fan is good on the CPU?

Edited by Sgt Gul

If you lower it in speedfan and it works the bios fan control is already off. If speedfan always works for you can let it control your fans automatically, you'll have to configure temps and fan speeds so that'll keep you busy for a while.

You can also enable bios fan control, a lot less work but you dont have as much control over noise and temperatures.

If you want to see the temperatures under load I recommend downloading the program OCCT, it has a built-in monitoring and stresstester that stops if temps get too high (you can set the max in options).

When i set it to auto, it does not change anything. Maybe because of the heat in the room, it automaticly sets it to 100%, but then the noise is very high. Maybe its wise to put back the side cases on?

BTW how do i know if the fan is good on the CPU?

The fan is on right if you can do the occt stresstester without going over 65 core? I really dont know the max for phenom II's.

If you set speedfan to automatic nothing will happen because you havent configured speedfan yet, click the configure button, then set the min and max speed, and the desired and warning temps.

I think it is around 100max, and for intel much more.

I did medium stresstest for 6 minutes, it is testing at the moment.

It raised over to 55C now

I configured speedfan now, it adjusted speed of both fans to 100, i had it on 80 on manual.

The thing is, the computer is on the 3rd floor without much air flow. Guess thats a big thing.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I did the 6 minute stresstester on medium, logs reported no errors. So i guess i am good to go, i will add 2 more fans in the case for a better airflow.

Edited by Sgt Gul

you can configure speedfan to have the fan on a very low speed if the temps are under 55 degrees by setting the core and cpu desired temps on 55 and the speed you manually put on 80% on 60% minimum and 80% max

then set the warning temps on 60, if the warning temp is reached all fans wil go to 100%

remember to only select the temperatures you care about and set allowable and warning temps for all of them.

Or just go with the "easy option", enable the bios fan control again.

Edited by Leon86

I did what you described Leon, (btw kom je uit NL)?

Desired on 55C on core and cpu, max warning 60C.

Minimum 70% and max 80%

Its like a kitten now, but i could not find the option that fans go 100% if the warning temp is reached.

So im thinking about getting either a GTX 275 or 260 an an intel core i5. How well would each of this cards run Arma 2?

So im thinking about getting either a GTX 275 or 260 an an intel core i5. How well would each of this cards run Arma 2?

I had a single gtx 275 about a year ago and documented my game performance with benchmarks.

This was with OA (v1.52)

reference:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1687556&postcount=35

hope this helps :)

-Ziggy-;1968815']I had a single gtx 275 about a year ago and documented my game performance with benchmarks.

This was with OA (v1.52)

reference:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1687556&postcount=35

hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for that. And after more research im deciding on getting either the 275 or 460 (whats the difference between the PNY, ZOTAC, and BFG cards?). Now i have to worry about the motherboard which I have no knowledge on. Reccomendations would be nice.

Edited by solidsnake2384

Leon, or any other fella. What type of new cooler to my CPU should i buy, the standard version isnt that good i think.

Hers a list of Zalman coolers.

http://www.mycom.nl/Productgroep/Processor-Koeler/25326

Your chip was 55 degrees with occt, that's a 100% cpu load you'll never have in games. I'd say the standard cooler is fine.

If you want to overclock I'd recommend getting a a scythe mugen 2 rev B. (if it fits in your case, it's pretty huge). It's inexpensive, very quiet and is one of the best performing air coolers.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Thank you so much for that. And after more research im deciding on getting either the 275 or 460 (whats the difference between the PNY, ZOTAC, and BFG cards?). Now i have to worry about the motherboard which I have no knowledge on. Reccomendations would be nice.

The difference is brand, some companies have better warranties or service. performance will be identical.

the 460 supports dx11, might be usefull for armaIII. although a 275 will run it as well (only in dx10 mode).

I wouldn't narrow your search down to just those cards if you want to get a good secondhand deal. Look for any card in the same row or higher in the hierarchy chart (except for the X2 cards, crossfire is problematic sometimes, 5970 and 6990 are also X2 cards)

I've heard that the game will benefit greatly from SSDs. Is it sufficient if only Arma 2 is installed on the SSD, or is it necessary to install the operating system and the game on the SSD?

Thank you.

I've heard that the game will benefit greatly from SSDs. Is it sufficient if only Arma 2 is installed on the SSD, or is it necessary to install the operating system and the game on the SSD?

Thank you.

I doubt the SSD does anything more than load maps faster.

well arma does stream things but some are more enthousiastic about ssd's for arma than others.

If you're buying a ssd I'd install the operating system on it as you have the spare time for a reinstall, but for arma just running it from there should be fine. You dont even have to reinstall arma, just copy the AddOns folder to the ssd (say it's the D:\ drive). start the game with -mod=D:\ added to the shortcut.

And can anyone help me out on what mobo to get? What does it need to be able to be compatible with a GTX card and an intel core i5 processor? Im have almost no knowledge on motherboards. Also how can I find out what kind of motherboard i have? I opened up my computer, i found the graphics card and power source but dont know about the motherboard.

Your chip was 55 degrees with occt, that's a 100% cpu load you'll never have in games. I'd say the standard cooler is fine.

QUOTE]

guess i made a mistake it went over 61 when i did a longer test. But it was 100% cpu load. The strange thing is, yesterday it was sitting at 40-41 at idle. Now its around 37C.

So you still think its not needed to buy a better cooler for CPU?

I was planning to get this one:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Koeling-Processor-Koeler/Zalman-CNPS7000CCU/213647

And on different forums they said that AMD can only get 70C. I was dangerously close with that test.