Sign in to follow this  
WhiteXFeatherX

Ghillie Suits?

Is there any concealment factor built into the ghillie's once they or if they would be added into the console version?

ex: you are wearing a boonie and marpat camo with your sniper rifle... and you are spotted crawling past an enemy patrol to reach another vantage point, or an enemy patrol walks up on you and sees you, resulting in your death. same scenario revised:

ex: you are wearing a ghillie with your sniper rifle (rifle wrap included)... and you are crawling past an enemy patrol to reach another vantage point, or an enemy patrol walks up on you and does not see you, resulting in you being able to move onward once he has passed.

in the first scenario, he wore no ghillie so his concealment was a 0. but after he tried again w/ his ghillie on, he was concealed. would the AI re-act differently to you having a ghillie on or are the ghillies just for looks?

thanks,

- WhiteXFeatherX

"Kill one man, Terrorize a thousand"

wait... so they have them in arma 2? how can you prove those are from arma2?? that pic isnt on the official arma2 site...

oh, and i didnt mean that it would be nessecary for me to make one for arma 2. i was trying to ask, will they be featured in arma 2. and is it that big of a deal to add them in or not.

In OFP there were chillie snipers, which had some degree more stealth that regular grunts. Problem here is that they were also harder to spot when they moved, i think.

If they can make configs which gives almost complete stealth while stationary but zero more concealment on move (compared to regular grunt), that would work very fine. Also it would be nice if type of chillie suit would be considered. ArmA didn't take background (or soil type) into consideration so woodland camo was just as good in desert as desert camo was, to conceal from AI i mean.

There has been talk about addable camoflage material (or changing camoflage), don't remember has BIS ever mentioned it with ArmA2 (well they did back nefore release of ArmA, it never happened as we can see). That would be better than one type of chillie suit, when giving some degree of variety to it makes it harder for player also to spot snipers.

Overall i think BIS could stuff chilliesuits to garbage and implement some modern snipersuits, which also offers from thermals and UV much better than poor'ol'chillie, If US and Russia has them that is. But ArmA2 won't have thermals so i doesnt' matter...

The limited Grass-view distance makes the Ghillie suit moot in my opinion, but it's good to have as a story option.

"wait... so they have them in arma 2? how can you prove those are from arma2?? that pic isnt on the official arma2 site..."

Have another look... icon_rolleyes.gif

OOOHHHH.... WHOOPS! i didnt see the other pics, the ones from the arma2 boot camp. cool! thanks again. xmas_o.gif

nice. yeah, i asked a buddy of mine and he sent me a COD4 "ghillies in the mist pic" so thats why i asked for proof. thanks again, and also, What about razor team? the ones in the pic look like the russian forces. i havent played arma so im assuming we can only play as razor team? or can we choose a faction?

nice. yeah, i asked a buddy of mine and he sent me a COD4 "ghillies in the mist pic" so thats why i asked for proof. thanks again, and also, What about razor team? the ones in the pic look like the russian forces. i havent played arma so im assuming we can only play as razor team? or can we choose a faction?

I assume in campaign we'll play as Razor team, but in multiplayer and mission editor the choice is yours.(just like in arma 1)

I assume in campaign we'll play as Razor team, but in multiplayer and mission editor the choice is yours.(just like in arma 1)

ok, but, will razor team have the option to wear ghillie suits? i saw the character that was their sniper, he looked suited towards urban combat. but, im hoping i dont have to play as him constantly. maybe a customize character or camo like in other games?

ok, but, will razor team have the option to wear ghillie suits? i saw the character that was their sniper, he looked suited towards urban combat. but, im hoping i dont have to play as him constantly. maybe a customize character or camo like in other games?

that's something I don't know.  huh.gif  But I don't think Marine Recon use Ghillie's in such team. *one cannot just wander randomly in ghillies*.

and you don't have to play constantly. They have system called TeamSwitch, which means, you can switch to any of the characters any time in the game.

that's something I don't know.  huh.gif  But I don't think Marine Recon use Ghillie's in such team. *one cannot just wander randomly in ghillies*.

well, i know that in a woodland scenario they would use them (realisticly speaking) and a sniper wouldnt wander. i have never played arma 1 but i am guessing a sniper mission would generally be to assassinate someone or kill a bunch of people, sabotage? idk. in that case, you wouldnt need to wander around in a ghillie. but, i do see where you are coming from. if i have completed the mission or have killed a few people while freely roaming the map, what good is the ghillie if im not using it.

well, i know that in a woodland scenario they would use them (realisticly speaking) and a sniper wouldnt wander. i have never played arma 1 but i am guessing a sniper mission would generally be to assassinate someone or kill a bunch of people, sabotage? idk. in that case, you wouldnt need to wander around in a ghillie. but, i do see where you are coming from. if i have completed the mission or have killed a few people while freely roaming the map, what good is the ghillie if im not using it.

Well, Razor team is there to do First strike operation withing the conflict, or something similar in these lines.

a ghillie mission wouldn't be any worse, however, I doubt Campaign will see any ghillie missions.

BUT, if Arma 1 is any indication, there will be Single-player missions, separated from the campaign. Random missions, like sabotage, Infiltration, Convoy Attack, helicopter attack, city defence...etc

NOW, there is a big chance, we'll see Ghillied marines doing night sabotages or something similar in single-player missions.

brings me to my next question, if the ghillie might have almost no use, because once you dont need it, you cant get rid of it, unless you teamswitch, why are they being featured in this pic: http://www.arma2.com/images...._22.jpg

For Multiplayer and mission makers ofcourse, not to mention above.

about the ghillies being in mission makers and rarely seeing them in the campaign missions: as long as i get to use one, im fine. lol. also, its better than trying to sneak past a patrol without alerting them, wearing marpat camo. lol. that just spells you getting owned!. thanks for your opinion. also, do you think the ghillies will have some sort of concealment factor? so you cant easily be detected moving through the woods or the grass?

about the ghillies being in mission makers and rarely seeing them in the campaign missions: as long as i get to use one, im fine. lol. also, its better than trying to sneak past a patrol without alerting them, wearing marpat camo. lol. that just spells you getting owned!. thanks for your opinion. also, do you think the ghillies will have some sort of concealment factor? so you cant easily be detected moving through the woods or the grass?

I don't know about single-player, but I believe in multiplayer, there should be a somekind of concealment effect

Yeah a ghilliesuit is great for sniper missions,

or when you are in a battle,

or when a enemy patrol is near you and you can use the ghilliesuit to cover yourself, it also needs conceilement so its not the same as a desert outfit...

You shouldn't be able to just put a Ghillie suit on if you need cover...But, it wouldbe nice if the Ghillie suits had a different radius in which the enemies had to be to be able to spot you...

Well, Razor team is there to do First strike operation withing the conflict, or something similar in these lines.

NOW, there is a big chance, we'll see Ghillied marines doing night sabotages or something similar in single-player missions.

Two things I'd like to touch on here is that first off, if BIS is trying to be as realistic as possible, than a big part of what Razor team is there to do is special reconnaissance. That means staying undetected for long periods of time behind enemy lines. Would a ghillie suit be helpful in this situation? Of course, but if we're trying to be as realistic as possible, than its not really feasible. Ghilie suits are extremely hot, heavy and uncomfortable. Generally speaking you can't wear them if your doing anything other than sitting in a hide sit or stalking. I hope we don't see any Marines in ghillie suits doing "night sabotages." That wouldn't work too well in a game that takes pride in how realistic it is.

Just hoping the suits have less detection coded into them. Should be harder to spot. Hoping hoping hoping.

AS long as you are still, camoflage works but doesn't necessarily need to be the same colour as you're surroundings. Imaging a green bush on a bed of tan brown pebbles and me in DPM's (UK standard green/brown/black camo) lying down pretty bored next to the bush, on exercise looking for IRA terrorist (Well mock terrorists).

I was taking a breather and because we were in a civvy area, I notice these 2 civvy's walking towards me chatting as they went. As they drew clsoer to me, I thought to myself - these guys haven't seen me. I wasn't huddled into the bush but i wasn't moving either. I waited until they got about 3 feet from me and sat up - they both nearly jumped out of their skin. So the first rule of camoflage is "don't move" and next comes you're camoflage.

If somebody was scanning the area they would have seen me straight away but if you're not paying attention, it's amazing what you miss.

This brings me to suspect that the Ghillie suit isn't a camoflage tool rather than a concealment tool - i.e. once you have deployed it properly, you cannot be seen, even 2 feet away whereas normal fatigues you would, presuming somebody is actively looking for you.

However there should always be a chance of detection for gameplay otherwise it becomes silly. Also, once deployed you're movement prone becomes severly limited to maybe a 10 degree fov to represent the need to keep still (and not become an engine exploit). But I guess if you move more you make yourself much more visible anyway but the important thing is to make sure it doesn't give you a magical invisible cloak a.k.a. Soldner (anyone remember that?)

So a ghillie suit should make you invisible to the AI unless you move or make your presence known. e.g.....

ghillie-suits-3.jpg

gsak.jpg

ghillie2.jpg

ghilliepronegunaimed.jpg

Edited by Jex =TE=