Sign in to follow this  
forum troll 4162

Building lights flicker

Saw the new pic of the house with internal lights.

It would be good if explosions nearby caused the lights to flicker. Presuming its lit with emissive textures you'd only need to do a texture swap when an explosions occurs inside a set distance from the house. Have ti swap randomly a few times before going back to the original textures.

Seeing the environment react to your actions improves the immersions. Also, someone had this idea:

Quote[/b] ]it would be cool, if such a house get hit by some rounds some civilians spawn at the entry and run the hell out of this area...

again randomise it and set the threshold high so not every house is spitting out civis, but it's a great idea. The best Arma mission there was was the Queen's Gambit one where you have to eliminate spec forces in a town full of civilians.

If I were caught in a war, the last thing I'd do if I heard something is run outside! I'd stay in my basement, for sure. As a rule, I don't support mass-scripted events in a game. Stuff like that becomes very predictible and loses its neatness quickly.

As for the lights flickering, I have no idea why that would happen from an explosion shockwave. Explain. However, since there are electrical substations in the game and high-tension electrical wires, it would be really neat if damage to those actually put out the lights in a neighborhood or town.

Any regular (though especially nuclear) explosions create (electro)magnetic surges/disturbance, but what I think Gustav means is that electrical contacts (in power lines, transformers, light bulbs) skip or snap due to shocks.

It would be cool if shocks could destroy fragile objects, but you'd need very high broadband connection to properly sync it and a very sophisticated powerful cinematic-style physics engine.

That's a bit extreme guys...

Yesterday nobody knew there was even lit buildings, and now everyone wants light flicker, electromagnetic interference and working powerlines...

Reminds me of the CDF trailer : 5 min after seeing the cow, we all wanted to be able to milk it....

BIS is doomed... the more they give, the more we want...

LOL...

Yesterday nobody knew there was even lit buildings, and now everyone wants light flicker, electromagnetic interference and working powerlines...

Not me. Destroying substations to take out power is stupid for this game. All I want is a simple texture swap and if I can write the code for it for Half Life 2 in a day I'm sure BIS can manage with their own engine.

its overhead would be very little, no noticable change in framerate.

Not me. Destroying substations to take out power is stupid for this game. All I want is a simple texture swap and if I can write the code for it for Half Life 2 in a day I'm sure BIS can manage with their own engine.

its overhead would be very little, no noticable change in framerate.

Would it actually be realistic? I once talked about the chaos of impacting projectiles to someone who witnessed Katyusha impacts while working in Israel and he never mentioned flickering lights or anything similar.

Is it worth spending a day on coding this instead of debugging the game or optimizing the performance?

This might be considered off-topic, but in the game Lock On Modern Air Combat, power transmission lines actually collapse from a bomb blast. Power lines, railways, and other communications / infrastructure are a really neat idea. I don't remember any previous game in the OFP family having them. Every city felt like a third-world settlement.

But EricM is right. The more the developers introduce, the more possibilities it yields for gameplay. Personally, I'm not picky.