Sign in to follow this  
YO

using a sound from an addon in my mission

hi fellas, that's a simple question: when declaring a sound in the description.ext, can I use a sound from an addon without having to copy the sound file into my mission folder?

This doesn't work:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] = {};

class hitSound1

{

sound[] = {\ca\Characters\Data\Sound\Hit11,db-25,1};

name = "";

titles[] = {};

};

};because the game take this path relative to the mission folder and not from the main Arma folder. Any way to get it?

thx

you should be able to do it.. yo are probealy doing something wrong..

Btw.. shouldent

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sound[] = {\ca\Characters\Data\Sound\Hit11,db-25,1};

be

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sound[] = {"\ca\Characters\Data\Sound\Hit11.wss",db-25,1};

playSound hitSound1

thx for your answer, I'll try it again...

I'm having strange experiences with sounds when testing from the mission editor, it seems the game stores the sounds into memory and sometimes it plays sounds that were in the mission folder but that has been deleted from there, and also the wiki gives really little info on that, specially the quotation and the last two parameters after the path (0 to 1 or db+-x?). And also the game reports an error when the class is not found, but says nothing when the class exists but refers to a non-existing sound file, so it makes testing more difficult.

Does anyone know for sure if game checks that paths first in mission folder and then in main Arma folder, or campaign dir or elsewhere, and what's the order? thx for your help

hi again,

I've been trying this for a few days without success, and I think I've tested it in all possible manners, but as I'm not really very methodic I need someone please confirm if is it possible, and if he/she could provide a working sample mission using a sound wich is not stored into the mission folder I'd really appreciate that so much.

As far as I've seen in my tests it doesn't matter if you quote the path to the sound file or not, neither if you type the default extension .wss, neither if use X (from 0 to 1) or db+-X as the second value, AS LONG AS the file is inside the mission folder. I've tested all this separately and both on mission editor and non-dedicated server, and the result was the same: sound only was played when the file was loaded into the mission.

Note: I'm using Arma v1.14, hope it has nothing to do with that.

When playing a track included in Armed Assault, you are really running a PBO audio content that is not in the folder of your mission.

Conclusion: It can be done!.

yeah, the same logic brings me to think that it must be possible, but I'm not able to make it working, that's why I'm requesting a practical example... cause I feel I'm probably missing some stupid detail

just a thougth..

instead of redefine ingame sounds with new classes.

cant you just use Playsound "wanted sound class" ?

example playSound "HeadquartersAttacked0"

"ps that is a WF sound"

instead of redefine ingame sounds with new classes. cant you just use Playsound "wanted sound class" ?

that would be great but I didn't find any classname for that sounds, even there's a few files that seems aren't used by Arma. Here's where it get the references: http://pastebin.com/m1686112a. Maybe they're declared elsewhere, dunno.