Sign in to follow this  
jds54

Graphics Issues

Downloaded the demo, was hopeful because was looking into buying the full game. Well i just bought this laptop, and the game ran unbelievably terrible. Here are my specs:

Windows Vista

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

3 GB Ram

DirectX 10

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family - 1309 MB Memory

At the lowest possible settings i would still have an extremely low FPS. Is it due to my video card? I mean i have about 1.3GB's of video memory on that video card, why would it not work?

Thank you for your help in advance, would really love to play this game as i loved OFP.

Yes, the problem is your video card. It is just too slow, regardless of the memory. The 1,3 GB also are most probably about 256 MB real Video RAM, the rest is just normal RAM the graphics card is allowed to use.

There are different things that are responsible how good the card is, first the chipset it uses, how fast it is clocked, how fast the VRAM is clocked and how fast the connection between chip and VRAM is. The size doesn't really matter for the overall speed as long as it isn't too low. If the card runs out of the fast video memory it has to put the data into the slower normal RAM or the even slower hard disk (swap file).

Thank you for the quick reply. To overcome these issues should i overclock the video card? Or is it more feasible to not bother with it all because i really am not in the market to buy a new video card.

If overclocking is the solution, how would i persue at it? Sorry i am not all that knowledgable in computers.

... To overcome these issues should i overclock the video card? Or is it more feasible to not bother with it all because i really am not in the market to buy a new video card.

Dont bother. Your "laptop" specs are not enough for this game..:( confused_o.gif

Do you know how i can safely overclock it anyways so i can squeeze as much performance as possible out of it for other games?

safe is kinda subjective, But with any Vidcard, except the new ones that can push the Shader clocks, the best you can expect from Ocing the GPU (memory is a big 0) is maybe 5 more FPS.... Bench marks can show some gain, but in games its rare to get any where near a boost, but hey 5fps when your running 15fps is nice.

OCing Memory almost does nothing for frames in games, tho new cards with all round bumping of GPU, Shader and RAM can get ya some boost, but most likely a crash in 3D.

And to answer your question, no i dont think you will be able to OC your GPU from Intel at all. You can try to google some programs to adjust your gpu...

Now the OCers will say hearsay heretic... lol

Thank you for the quick reply. To overcome these issues should i overclock the video card? Or is it more feasible to not bother with it all because i really am not in the market to buy a new video card.

Problem is that you don't really have a graphics card per se, you have integrated video which is pretty shit and isn't good for any games made in the past two-three years or so. In 99% of cases you wont be able to do much in the way of overclocking, and even if you could, it wouldnt really make a difference. Also, you can't upgrade a laptop to have a graphics card, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got.

Quote[/b] ]I mean i have about 1.3GB's of video memory on that video card, why would it not work?

Two things -

1) Video RAM isn't a good measure of performance.

2) When you dedicate video RAM to an integrated chipset, you take away from the amount of system RAM available to your computer, which makes your computer slower in just about everything. If you manually set the BIOS to use 1.3GB of RAM for the video chipset, I'd go back in and change it down to something more sensible.