Sign in to follow this  
Jman1000

Is there a background story to the islands?

It's hard not to find the islands in OFP fascinating. You've got terrain the likes of Greece on one island, Germany-esque forest on another, and then dry, desolate wasteland on a third. Two of the islands have town names that are Irish and Italian but mostly French, but the inhabitants speak with Czech accents and have Slavic names. One of the islands is dotted with ruined towns.

Is there an official backstory and perhaps an explanation for the cultural soup that appears on the two inhabited islands?

There are some better OFP island out (approx ~75 islands) wink_o.gif

But here are some official infos about:

OFP: Cold War Crisis

and

OFP Islands

Other infos you will find playing through CWC/RH/RES campaigns+missions.

You may also take a look at ArmA islands and soon Arma2 island.

I remember someone on this forum wrote a history of the islands. I can't remember the thread though.

I read the wiki information and it wasn't terribly informative. I'm quite curious about the odd mix of town names.

Similarly, there must be an interesting backstory to Sahrani given its Arabic name but the paucity of Arabic town names. Maybe it was a Moorish trading post but taken over by the Spanish in the Reconquista? That wouldn't account for the Portuguese names, though.

Here's an article on Nogova.

And I agree - they are fascinating.

I spent 6 months in Europe about 16 years ago, both studying and teaching in several countries there (travelling from Vilnius to Marbella, from Athens to Amsterdam, with many stops between). Prague turned out to be my favorite city, followed closely by Salzburg (I ended up visiting both, 4 and 3 times, respectively). These OFP islands and their architecture bring a lot of my time in Europe back to me. I would love to return! Someday. . . wink_o.gif