Sign in to follow this  
GnySgt Hartman Sr DI

Compare of to counter-strike

OFP is nothing like Counter-Strike, save for some of the weapons that are common to both games (AK47 for example).

Counter-Strike is a mod to Half-Life, which is a true shooter game. Very fast paced, some, but little "military" type strategy. You complete some basic objectives, like defusing a bomb, but the game is still VERY focused on "frags". In the end, the one with the most kills is seen as the winner. If you like Quake style gameplay with "realistic" weapons and settings, then you like Counter-Strike.

OFP is more of a military simulator with some first-person-shooter elements. The combat is more realistic and slower paced. You cannot jump like in Counter-Strike, but you can lie down and crawl. Multi-player has several flavors, although co-op is the most unique. You work together to complete a task or tasks. Less focus on fragging, and more on the task at hand and staying alive. Although you can play Deathmatch in OFP, and CTF style games, I feel it's the Co-op multiplay that sets it apart from games like Counter-Strike.

As for your firewall problems, open up some ports. They are well documented on forums such as these. Unless, you don't have permissions from your firewall admin.

cg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How does OF compare to CS in gameplay?<span id='postcolor'>

CS is a nightmare.

OFP is a dream.

Plain and simple biggrin.gif

The difference =

OFP is on my harddrive.

HL:CS is not on my harddrive. Long since been shelfed.

I wish I had access to my firewall ports i would open 'em all, but I dont. Behind a school firewall. So OF might be more like Firearms or DoD. I compare it to HL MOD's b/c those are the only ones I've ever played online.

It's really messed up b/c now I have a T1 connection, but its blocked, when I had cable the ping was unbearable at times

The best way i can compare OFP to DOD and the like is that OFP has realistic weapons damage, capacities (rockets excluded), and WAY more freedom than anything based on half-life. In halflife, the maps are well contained to keep R-speeds down, while OFP has huge outdoor areas to play in, which means if you really wanted to, you could just grab a gun and go wandering off into the mountains on your own. Add to that the ability to fly helicopters, jets, drive vehicles, etc...and OFP wins hands down.

If your behind a firewall still, and can't play, hop over to some of the fansites, or even this official site, and grab some of the mpegs so you can see what gameplay looks like ingame.

When Counter-Strike gets to the point where you can fly helicopters, planes, drive cars, jeeps, armored vehicles and boats, be able to use a wide variety of weaponry such as rocket propelled grenades, on an island as huge as one of many that OFP offers, then I'll consider it a good multiplayer game.

Only thing it has now over OFP, is netcode... Well, that's Half-Life's anyway, and we all know why the netcode is so good. It's like comparing the latency of a multiplayer game of pong, to a MMORPG.

since OFP has large (huge!wink.gif maps, i think i will be more fun if it support more people like 100, this way you can really divide people into special positions like flying CAS on choppers and stuff like that w/o getting your main team to become too small

I love both of the games... CS the most in multiplayer.

I Guess its because all the darn team killing in Opf,

example:

Theres one apche chopper in the map, you rush towards it, and you get the Pilot possition. Then this Lame n00b comes up to you blows the head of ya and ur freeking dead.. (of course u will respawn, often as a bird :| )

in cs u will simply just get banned for Teamkilling biggrin.gif