Sign in to follow this  
_BARNS_

different tool possible?

just one little thing to know ... is it possible to model or build up a model for arma with a differnt tool than O2, i mean in this case with the tool named ProEngineer?

I am working all day long with this as constructing engineer and so i thought maybe this could work too?

Yes or simple no never?

thx alot

It is possible to model in other applications but it is not possible to fully author an addon without o2. As long as you can get it from that format to obj or 3ds format somehow, you can do the modelling and texturing in whatever program you wish. You will have to use o2 to do the relevant selections and other things you need to get the thing working in game.

i use lightwave for the first prototype, which then get scaled and reworked inside O2. You need to play a bit with the export settings for .obj or .3ds, depending on what app you use to get the selections and textures right out of your app to O2.

Im really keen to see your first results _BARN_!

Professional Construction Engineers doing stuff for ArmA, yummy!

offtopic somehow:

I guess using SketchUp for creating buildings should be quite fun too... too bad im totally NOT into making buildings and so i dont use SketchUp albeit i love its usage paradigm. Its so easy to make nice buildings with it.

in theory yes but you are going to have loads of problems with ProEngineer my friend (aside from it being a very frustrating peice of software smile_o.gif I hated it in uni) smile_o.gif P/E makes use of solid NURBS modeling which results in very high polygon counts when converted to a polygon model. Aside from that whatever can export .3ds and .obj formats can in theory be used. Engineering tools rely on presision and dont care about polycounts which in games unfortunately is a big factor. If you want to have a go in any free software and you have no preference I would recomend Blender, as it can do the same if not more then some of the big names.

Hope that helps

I think there should be some converter, for the NURBS/Poly problem it had some japanese name or so oki... something. It can convert all 3d formats known (well p3d istn one of them sad_o.gif )

I think there should be some converter, for the NURBS/Poly problem it had some japanese name or so oki... something. It can convert all 3d formats known (well p3d istn one of them sad_o.gif )

okino polytrans? deep exploration will do the same as well

indeed it will but the the process will take away the possibility of u (the modeler) controling the polygon flow of the model and can lead to very unexpected results in O2.