Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Ka 50 & Ka 52 weaponry

Not entirely sure where to ask this as it is actually about the ArmA units.

In terms of armament, the 50 and the 52 are almost identical, with the 52's gunner being able to 'aim' the gun a little.

I'm assuming the 'low' and 'high' cannon refers to the weapon mounted on the starboard side of the airframe *not on the wing*.

Questions;

Does the low and high refer to a selectable rate of fine, in the same way the UH-60 miniguns have 2000 and 4000 rpm?

The ArmA version can also 'reload HE' or 'reload AP' but but ammo types share the same magazine. Can a single round be given these two very different properties in the gun? I would have thought they'd have been two different types of ammo?

Wikipedia (on the RL aircraft) does seem to support the game's assertion;

Quote[/b] ]1x mobile semi-rigid 30 mm Shipunov 2A42 cannon (240 rounds, dual feeding AP or HE-Frag)

So, how does that work then?

Not entirely sure where to ask this as it is actually about the ArmA units.

In terms of armament, the 50 and the 52 are almost identical, with the 52's gunner being able to 'aim' the gun a little.

I'm assuming the 'low' and 'high' cannon refers to the weapon mounted on the starboard side of the airframe *not on the wing*.

Questions;

Does the low and high refer to a selectable rate of fine, in the same way the UH-60 miniguns have 2000 and 4000 rpm?

The ArmA version can also 'reload HE' or 'reload AP' but but ammo types share the same magazine. Can a single round be given these two very different properties in the gun? I would have thought they'd have been two different types of ammo?

Wikipedia (on the RL aircraft) does seem to support the game's assertion;

Quote[/b] ]1x mobile semi-rigid 30 mm Shipunov 2A42 cannon (240 rounds, dual feeding AP or HE-Frag)

So, how does that work then?

In real Ka-50 there are no things such as low and high.... When you select fire its Short Burst, Medium Burst, and Long Burst.

And there are actually two separate ammo belts in real life for HE and AP. So by dual feeding they mean that the gun has two different ammo belts. So if you select HE ammunition, only HE will be spent.

Since ArmA is not a flight sim, BIS didn't really make the aircraft realistic. So in ArmA High and Low does refer to the rate of fire.

Good. That's cleared that one up. Many thanks.