Sign in to follow this  
gunterlund

trigger Condition issue

Trying to make a trigger that has seized by and the timeout settings. Followed the instructions in the biki and set it to seizedby blufor and detected by opfor. Set time to 5,7,6 minutes.

I have opfor troops starting in the trigger. When the blufor entered the trigger activated within 5 minutes even though the redfor were still there. Why is that.

Also I want the trigger to activate only when land units enter, not air units. I tried using iskindof in the condition but it didnt work. What is the best way to set the condition so it only activates when blufor land units enter it and still use the seizedby criteria.

"Seized by" only checks the balance in the area. When the balance of west is bigger then the east, the area is seized.

You can change the way how it gets calculated by using the timeouts, but don't ask me how.

The timeout field is a delay before executing the code in the trigger, but the trigger gets activated right away. So unit A walks into the trigger, the delay timer starts. Unit A walks away from the trigger, hops in a chopper and flies away. Five minutes later, the trigger's delay timer has expired, and the code executes. It's not like a "proximity timer" or anything like that. For that, you'll need to create your own script that checks the proximity of the player to the location and adds it's own _seconds or _timer (you get the idea) variable to keep track of time. After the timer reaches your desired value, execute the code you want to execute. At least, that's how I've done it. I'm sure there are other ways to get that to work.

A seized by Blufor detected by Opfor trigger does not imply the trigger must be empty of opfor in order to activate. Opfor only need to think that within the trigger area, Blufor forces (they know about) are superior to their own. I do not know the exact method ArmA uses to equate the capability of various units/vehicles, nor what exact balance of power is required by each of the timers. However, I do know aircraft are highly visible and considered quite powerful.

I think the easiest way to ensure that aircraft don't trip the seized by counter would be to ensure the aircraft doesn't stay within the trigger. Make the trigger small and keep the aircraft moving. If the aircraft is landing, make it land outside the trigger area.

Otherwise maybe using something like the following in the condition :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this and (("air" countType thislist) < 1)

although that won't stop an aircraft starting the domination, and won't while an aircraft remains in the trigger. Another method would to use two triggers. The first would activate when blufor "land" units are present, while the seized by trigger would require that trigger to activate...

Also note the timers are in seconds.

Quote[/b] ]The timeout field is a delay before executing the code in the trigger, but the trigger gets activated right away.  So unit A walks into the trigger, the delay timer starts.  Unit A walks away from the trigger, hops in a chopper and flies away.  Five minutes later, the trigger's delay timer has expired, and the code executes.

That is not correct for triggers. A trigger countdown timer works in the manner you describe, but a trigger timeout timer does require the condition to be true for the entire time period in order to activate.

However, last time I checked waypoint timeout timers do act like trigger countdown timers.

Quote[/b] ]The timeout field is a delay before executing the code in the trigger, but the trigger gets activated right away.  So unit A walks into the trigger, the delay timer starts.  Unit A walks away from the trigger, hops in a chopper and flies away.  Five minutes later, the trigger's delay timer has expired, and the code executes.

That is not correct for triggers. A trigger countdown timer works in the manner you describe, but a trigger timeout timer does require the condition to be true for the entire time period in order to activate.

However, last time I checked waypoint timeout timers do act like trigger countdown timers.

I'm using VBS2, so it's possible that the terminology is different. I know there's no "countdown timer" in the trigger field here, but I'm running a trigger right now and the Timeout Min/Mid/Max fields are definitely triggering regardless of the Condition being valid the whole time or not. If the terminology is mismatched, my apologies.

I'm using VBS2, so it's possible that the terminology is different.  I know there's no "countdown timer" in the trigger field here, but I'm running a trigger right now and the Timeout Min/Mid/Max fields are definitely triggering regardless of the Condition being valid the whole time or not.  If the terminology is mismatched, my apologies.

Lol, I just today added a new field so that you can choose between timeout and countdown in VBS2 biggrin_o.gif (But exactly the other way around to what fasad said.)

Lol, I just today added a new field so that you can choose between timeout and countdown in VBS2 biggrin_o.gif (But exactly the other way around to what fasad said.)

LOL that is awesome. I'm downloading the new patch now, hopefully that'll be in there. It'll nullify some of the code that I've put in some of my missions, but it's very much appreciated anyway. smile_o.gif

LOL that is awesome.  I'm downloading the new patch now, hopefully that'll be in there.  It'll nullify some of the code that I've put in some of my missions, but it's very much appreciated anyway.  smile_o.gif

No, it is not in v1.22, but hopefully in the next release. Sorry. sad_o.gif

Suma Wrote:

Quote[/b] ]Example of typical usage to detect if the area of a trigger is seized by BLUFOR:

Create a trigger configured as:

* Activation Seized by BLUFOR

* Present

* TimeOut 15-30-60

This trigger evaluates if BLUFOR is dominating in the area and depending on the level of domination it needs to be hold for time from min to max set in time out (in seconds, only Time out style really makes sense for this trigger type, do not use it with Countdown style).

If a side has very strong dominance, only min timeout is needed. If it has a marginal dominance, max timeout is needed.

Whenever enemy has fired, the counter is reset - this means as long as there is any enemy fighting, the area is not considered seized even when there is a strong dominance.

If Detected by... is set, only units known to the side are used for estimating the level of control so the designer must ensure that entire trigger area is well known to the seizing side before considering the area secured (or create multiple triggers that need to be active at the same time).