Sign in to follow this  
icfhoop

Custom Textures

Hello all, I was wondering, is it possible to make your own textures for arma? Because I would like to make my own for my current project. Thank you.

-icfhoop

Definetly are able to. Make sure you have photoshop, a PBO packing/unpacking program, and Kegetys .paa plugin found on his site.

http://www.kegetys.net/

You referring to ground textures yeh? tounge2.gif

Sorry for the delay, my computer went a little FUBAR. Yes I am talking about textures for islands. Thanks.

Definetly are able to. Make sure you have photoshop, a PBO packing/unpacking program, and Kegetys .paa plugin found on his site.

Sorry, but the Photoshop paa plugin might be a nice slolution but is not rellay needed. What you really need is a Grapfic Program where can handle with layers. Gimp is as well working as photoshop does..OK..much more complicated but it works...I´ve tested it. This is only if you have a bad feeling to get it on the already known ways or even not enough money to buy it.

To handle with the paa´s it´s pretty much working well by using TextView2. I always worked with it and it´s much more better to handle than the plugin in Photoshop.

You also are need to create the bump and Normalmaps.

This ones are definately needed (not to became it work but to give it a nice look). I´ve tested creating custom textures without those both kind of graphics and yeah..I brought my Field close to my House. into ArmA. But it looked pretty ugly.

To create those maps just download the Crazybumb tool.. An amazing an powerfull one. One click is needed to extract the needed files. Currently I am on work though but when I am back home then I will take a look far that tool and give you the link to, I am sure I stored it somehwhere on my Webserver.

The way how to create own textures:

- make a photo and take it into a grapfic tool

- resize it to 1024 x 1024 px.

- go to your Island/datafolder and copy the exact name of all three needed files of each texture.

- Save your texture with a custom Name and add the rest of the texturename (i dont really remain its current definitions but its like Mytexture_lco.paa or Mytexture_norg.paa. I hope y<ou know what I mean).

-Then go to crazybumb and load it in there, extract the needed ones (selfexplaining) and get the normal, detail and the Bump map (they will all be saved as png)

- Then go to textView and save all those pictures in paa.

-built in your Island by usual way, thats it.

(one way of may be a lot of more)