Sign in to follow this  
gornovoy

Large amounts of data sent to and from ofp server?

I'm running Windows Me on 1.7Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB RAM computer.

Prior to v 1.45 I noticed that some unofficial add-ons seem to cause slow connection with OFP servers.

However, now, with v 1.45, I can not get rid of the slow connection problem even if i do a fresh install. (uninstall, clean addons folder, install 1.20 > 1.30 > 1.45)

Slow connection happens while "Receiving Data" usually.  This is associated with spikes in ping roundtrips of 1000-2000ms (PingPlotter) and even partial packet loss.

Ironically, when the game downloads the mission file from the server, pings remain normal (60-250ms).  But there is also a problem - downloads are very slow and I'm usually kicked before finishing.

I have tested my DSL upload/download speed with the help of dslreports.com  -  everything checks out fine ~80Kb up/ ~400Kb down.

I have reinstalled DirectX 8.1 per recommendation of one of the posters - did not help.  I also tried to disable Norton Antivirus autoprotect feature - same result.

Codemasters, anyone, do you have an answer/suggestion?

***********UPDATE*************

Version 1.46 fixed all of my (client-related) troubles!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

10-4

No answers..I wish I did..I've noticed the same thing, but I haven't isolated it to addons..Very slow at receiving data with this patch.

I had DSL, man it was a nightmare. Had it for a year! Finaly had to move and get cable lol. Seriously. I will never use DSL again. I dont know if thats where your problem stems from but I am willing to bet it is. Especially if your using that "EnterNet" Garbage through SBC.

Honestly overall DSL is a much more stable connection. Cable can be really fast or it can be as slow as 56k depending on your area and provider. Not good to generalize.

The issue of the topic is one of Netcode issues and Serverside issues. We at FragHaus have noticed that 1.45 is causing server issues and will actually crash a server if you set the MaxSend too high (like about 256) on somewhat intense missions. So with that it means that if your server is not quite up to par you may run into client drops... (I recommend no less than a 1.4 Ghz)

Suggestion: Run servers only on 'High-End' systems with 1.45 or go back to 1.42 until this is resolved with a new patch. For Clients... try a different server and see if that helps.

I have cable and my connection is normally pretty good.

But i noticed an increase in traffic too since 1.45.

I get rediculous pings lately, all in the 900 - 1800 range mad.gif

And it started with v 1.45 too, also with 1.46 no improvement what so ever.

hey guys,, i have only played multiplayer once, but i had a ping of 200 on my 56k, but my game kept crashing to desktop, after 30 seconds in the game. this was with 1.46. and i looked at my data sent and it was MASSIVE, the eqqivalent of 4 hours of surfing for me....

I disagree.

It depends on your area and the quality of the lines. DSL is rather finicky about the quality of the line, distance to the DSLAM / CO, etc. Cable has it's own share of problems (thermal swelling, just to name one of many). But by and large, the cable companies usually upgrade their infastructure a bit more when they roll out internet service. The phone companies sometimes do, but it seems like they just do things on a case by case basis. "Are you x miles from the CO?", "We will send out a tech to run a line test", "Your line seems to be working fine. Now we will toss you off to someone else." Heh. The phone company doesn't have many economic incentives to upgrade their old copper infastructures just to improve data service. There are too many competing interests with DSL.

As I understand it, cable internet companies (the now defunct @home) don't have to report to the PUC, as long as one of the cable companies they serve don't have a controlling interest (@home was owned by a couple cable companies I think, I don't think any of them ever had a majority stake, but I could be wrong), and I don't think that thing with the FCC went anywhere. Leaving them alot of freedom.

Just getting DSL service seems like being in the middle of a battle between the CLEC and the phone company. Both sides blaming the other for their problems. You still have the ISP to deal with.

I haven't and I won't touch upon the myriad of different DSL techonologies. People have written books explaining the differences between them.

You have to get an ISP. Another potential bottleneck, and another cost. The cable ISP may be horrible (I have seen many of these), and you get a choice with DSL. But it's just another variable that has to be taken into consideration, weighed, and thought about. This goes beyond the convenience factor. What if something with your DSL services goes awry? You may have to speak to two or three different organizations. The ILECs may appear to offer something similiar to cable. You still run into alot of problems though. SBC/Pacbell (the bell in my area, a member of the new three hundred pound gorilla) is notorious for offering less then decent DSL service. I have heard the same things elsewhere.

In a perfect world, DSL would be better. In the real world, maybe under the most ideal circumstances, you will get better service. But in my very limited experience, cable seems to offer the easiest and -- the very subjective mark of -- better service, most of the time.

Alot of this information is anecdotal and probably incomplete. It could be flat out wrong. Ed would probably have alot more to say about all of this.

Yeah... and to make it easy I would simply say <span style='color:red'>Cable Sucks</span>.

If you want details contact me offlist smile.gif