Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

View Geometry LOD & Clutter_textures

Amiriya_bc25_s.jpg

I've checked the existing threads about the View Geometry lod and none talk about this particular situation. (Vegetation with View Geo Lod (components01, closed box etc..) with Clutter_textures, instead of using a single model in the map)

I've seen some videos about wheat fields but i wonder if they really work as we pretend them to work (with clutter), ie, can we cover in the wheat without the AI to detect, can we cover in it? (with clutter?)

Some say all we need is to add the View Geometry Lod with Closed and simple boxes with their respective components, but apparently it does not work when using the vegetation with clutters. (or i missed something)

The Vegetation seem to work well when placed on the map as an object, but it does not work as it should (make AIs "blind") when we add it to a clutter to fill a big area corresponding to a certain color in the 'mask_lco'.

Can anyone point me to the right direction to make it work properly but with Clutter?

original man wink_o.gif i see u made your own...looking nice.

Quote[/b] ]I've seen some videos about wheat fields but i wonder if they really work as we pretend them to work (with clutter), ie, can we cover in the wheat without the AI to detect, can we cover in it? (with clutter?)

i don't get why u didn't ask me that directly since we are the only ones that work on that kind of stuff.

but fine...the view geometry works as follows if u use it as clutter: if u go prone before the AI sees u they won't see u even if they walk only some meters away from u as seen in one of the many wink_o.gif wheat field videos you are referring to. for some reason they seem to always know where u are in the field if they have seen u already once. so good for stealth but not THAT good for open field fights.

i'm trying to fix that at the moment. but u can take the model i send u the link for(PM) and look at the view geometry in o2. that's how u have to do it. but still the stated problem stays.

i don't get why u didn't ask me that directly since we are the only ones that work on that kind of stuff.

are we?!  icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that these kinda things should be talked in the forums so people can also learn abit or who knows help to solve things once and for all smile_o.gif

but fine...the view geometry works as follows if u use it as clutter: if u go prone before the AI sees u they won't see u even if they walk only some meters away from u as seen in one of the many wink_o.gif wheat field videos you are referring to. for some reason they seem to always know where u are in the field if they have seen u already once. so good for stealth but not THAT good for open field fights.

i'm trying to fix that at the moment. but u can take the model i send u the link for(PM) and look at the view geometry in o2. that's how u have to do it. but still the stated problem stays.

Ill have a look at the model you mentioned, but i have a feeling i have all things as they should.

I would like to say that if you have a squad with say 3 in prone position, and 300m you place enemies, the AI's will be able to detect, see and also fire and kill my squad that are in prone position. So the View Geometry Lod is not working, i just don't know why.

Maybe with some help we can solve it (or not).

EDIT:

ok, i just opened your file and noticed you have things you don't need.

-The shadows, why, what for?!

-The Fire Geometry Lod Should be empty, else you will not be able to fire through the vegetation (unrealistic)

-my View Geometry Lod is similar to yours.

Still i don't understand why i doesn't work how it should.

Quote[/b] ]I would like to say that if you have a squad with say 3 in prone position, and 300m you place enemies, the AI's will be able to detect, see and also fire and kill my squad that are in prone position. So the View Geometry Lod is not working, i just don't know why.

as i said my model covers that situation if u are already prone when the enemy is in spotting distance then the view geo lod works. but once they saw u they always seem to know your position.

Quote[/b] ]I think that these kinda things should be talked in the forums so people can also learn abit or who knows help to solve things once and for all

you're right. just meant that it's kinda complicated since we had PM traffic on that already.

as for LODs in general: best way is always to study the samplemodels from BIS. there u got working vegetation with view geometry.

edit: thanks for pointing out the crappyness of my model wink_o.gif but as i said i try to tweak it and played around with lods.and i'm new to this. but as i said it works in the way i described.

Quote[/b] ]-The shadows, why, what for?!

-The Fire Geometry Lod Should be empty, else you will not be able to fire through the vegetation (unrealistic)

u CAN shoot through (don't ask me why)

well shadows are those things appearing when the sun shines on things in real life ya know...

i would suggest to just replace the textures in my model with yours(not vis versa) and have a test run ingame. then step by step delete the unneeded garbage in my model.

its strange the different results we obtain.. when using the clutter.

I get shot from distance by Ais while im in prone position hiden in the field. In prone position, in the midle of the field, my AIs can see and fire to the enemy far way without problems.

Im not using any rvmat file while using this vegetaion in the clutter, does it have to do with anything?

I say again, the main objective work if i don't use clutter, ie, if i create a wheat field by posting the model plant in the map one by one, though the wheat does not bend over if in prone pos.

Does anyone know how we can make it work properlly

mine does bend over when proning on it. maybe it's how u defined it in the island config. but pls test my model. i'm intrested if it's working on other machines with other configurations. i had once problems with other addons disabling functions or the clutter in whole. try it with vanilla if u didn't do so yet. and pls test mine biggrin_o.gif

and btw did u use the foto in your sig for the texture? cuz the field in your sig looks very simular to the one on the screen (which is good since it's a foto).

bigger screens would be appreciated. u seem to have more randomness in your field which is what i'm working on for mine (i mean not all single wheat plants standing straight upwards)

and btw did u use the foto in your sig for the texture? cuz the field in your sig looks very simular to the one on the screen (which is good since it's a foto).

bigger screens would be appreciated. u seem to have more randomness in your field which is what i'm working on for mine (i mean not all single wheat plants standing straight upwards)

I sent you an mp for the testing subject.

No, i did not use my sig photo for the wheat field texture.

If you want to know in my paa there is only 2 different wheat plants.

For bigger screens you can check Al Amiriya thread (my sig)

or click here for 1600x1200

To my knowledge only RES and Shadow LODs work on clutter, this has been discussed to some extent in the Visitor forum, you're going to have to place such type of vegetation as objects.

I am also making some wheat as a matter of fact, it's really hard to maintain a good balance between density and performance due the fact that the vegetation is placed as individual objects.

-edit-

Oh, an idea just struck me, you could make invisible objects with only a view geo LOD and place them where you have your wheat clutter.

Oh, an idea just struck me, you could make invisible objects with only a view geo LOD and place them where you have your wheat clutter.

oh.. nice! (i think im too busy trying to solve impossible problems)

Ill have a try biggrin_o.gif

weee biggrin_o.gif

I just tested the Opteryx brilliant idea and i must say i like it alot!

There are Positive and Negative aspects:

Positive: Ais <s>can</s> can NOT follow us even if we move near them. They do not shot because they dont know where we are. Looks very nice and make things more realistic indeed biggrin_o.gif

Negative: If you use 3rd person view, you will not be able to see what we normally see when using it. We see less, lowe and not what we pretend.

edit: ups in positive i said ai can follow us, but what i meant to say was that Enemies can Not Follow us

well as i said before: the video i posted in the W.I.P.-thread clearly shows that using the wheat as clutter works to some point. but i'll repeat. once u've been seen by AI they'll know where u are. so i think that eventhough i'm using severall addons the view geometry works for clutter to some point. believe me i tested it...no fake

You may be correct that view geometry works for clutter, seems logical. However taking a look at the sample models by BIS you see that none contain a view geometry LOD, so I'm not sure about this. One thing that is certain is that Fire and Geo LOD do not work for clutter, but then again that's irrelevant in this case..