Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

UH-1Y reflector sight - Probably not accurate!

For helicopter guided missiles, for example: I think even something like a "time to lock on" and a requirement to have the locked target in your forward arc for the weapon to be guided would move the current system towards something that behaves in a more realistic manner.

Though it's not simulating exact targetting, it would require a bit more skill and prevent "tab-fire" spam which I find annoying.

yeah, people seem to have a problem understanding that. in their world its a decision between nothing at all or a 100% hardcore simulation. were asking for realism. what would you say if you were able to press tab and lock onto other soldiers without having to use the crosshair or the sights. would you like it? maybe. would it make the game easy for players? yes. does that mean we should have it? no.

FINALLY, someone that understands what I mean!! Really I was getting disasperate and already thinking that my English was somehow screwed up!

BTW, I totally agree with your post and that's a excelent anology you made using the realism of how the soldier weapon sights are modeled and that the targetting sights in aircraft and vehicles we now have in ArmA are almost as realistic as if we used the TAB key to aim for example an M-16 into an enemy soldier.

OFP used to do that 'look at target and lock it as a target' thing properly, whereas ArmA seems to have lost some of that ability.  I hacked the old OFP Cobra addon to make the gun steer with the pilots view back then, and you could use the target key to lock the target you looked at and then fire-off the missile or whatever you needed to shoot.

That functionality could be fairly straightforward to implement in an MFD too?

If that's what you meant then sorry I got the gist of your post wrong ricnunes, I wasn't accusing you of realism mania or anything at all, just voicing an opinion.

Some HIDSS/HMSS-type graphics allied to the look-and-lock targeting stuff that DID used to work well in OFP would be similar to what you're thinking of?

p.s. I enjoy EECH, FlightSim, the Nemeth brothers' Mi17 is my favourite aircraft of all time for FS, all the startup sequence, buttons, fuses, APU, generators, electrical systems etc. are greatly modelled (within the constraints of FS anyway). That or higher levels of fidelity are fun to use alone, and could be fun (for me) in ArmA, but I don't think folks in the back would want to spend 5 minutes of their gaming waiting for me to start up, just to get to the target area and get shot down by AA missiles and Shilkas and have to do it all over again.

I am really looking forward to the DCS Black Shark too, I'm not anti-realism by any means, the more the better - but IMO it just wouldn't work to have that huge level of detail in a combined-ops multiplayer with ground troops needing transport.

WarWolf @ Sep. 04 2008,11:09)]OFP used to do that 'look at target and lock it as a target' thing properly, whereas ArmA seems to have lost some of that ability.  I hacked the old OFP Cobra addon to make the gun steer with the pilots view back then, and you could use the target key to lock the target you looked at and then fire-off the missile or whatever you needed to shoot.

That functionality could be fairly straightforward to implement in an MFD too?

If that's what you meant then sorry I got the gist of your post wrong ricnunes, I wasn't accusing you of realism mania or anything at all, just voicing an opinion.

Some HIDSS/HMSS-type graphics allied to the look-and-lock targeting stuff that DID used to work well in OFP would be similar to what you're thinking of?

Yes, what that you mentioned together with an ability to use termal vision (with the helicopter/vehicle targetting sight/camera) is exactly what I meant in my previous posts and is exactly what I wish to see implemented in ArmA2.

I also agree with you that it would be somehow pointless to have and model detailed startup sequences in ArmA2.

maybe they could simply remove the radar for everything except radar equipped vehicles (maybe only higher difficulties) and make us use the "hold RMB to lock" thing. this would solve any accessibility problems. obviously it would be better with thermal though (which i believe could be done using a shader and simple heat values e.g. exponential decrease of heat after engine turned off).

for choppers (apart fron KA-52 which has radar) i think all targeting should be done with the already existing laser designation which would point where the gunner is looking, if we had thermal vision this would be much better. the lock symbol would help the gunner keep on the target but would no longer auto guide all missiles.

Yes I fully agree.

And I would also like to see that in aircraft which have radar in real life (like for example the Ka-52 that you mentioned or the F-35) that the radar we currently have in ArmA which is an unrealistic "vertical situation radar" be replaced by a more realistic looking "Horizontal situation radar"! (and again it doesn't be much more complex than the current radar we have in ArmA - Just needs to present Horizontal situation data and preferably in a MFD).

A different radar is one thing, a different radar for each vehicle is something entirerly different but if its possible to link to imagery and not just the top radar then it may be possible.