Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Object id e522e0b6 (182) not found in slot 92,809

Object id xxxxxxxx (xxx) not found in slot xx,xxx

Link cannot be resolved

Just curious if anyone has ran across this making large maps.

Maybe related to the grid system: Seems as though if I place vehicles and AI on one side of the map it crashes the game. For some reason if those same vehicles and AI are in the western portion of the map - no crashes.

ie - I placed them within the first grid AA-ZJ game works fine, outside of that to the north or east of it when the grid starts over at AA again, beyond that it crashes.

Do I need to adjust my grid system in my config.cpp?

BTW the map is 2048x 75m cell size...that's roughly 154km.  or nearly 23,700 square km.

It's odd that the lower left quadrant of it works so good for hours without error and the other parts crash so quickly with this odd error mentioned in the above post.

Additionally when you edit the area beyond what would be the fine line divided by half of my map ie 76,800 meters, the bulldozer cursor tools(arrow) doesn't work. It won't adjust terrain or move objects. If you try bulldozer crashes. You have to adjust them in visitor and then run bulldozer to see desired effects.

I ran into the same problem on a 2048 x 25 meter cell size map.

Does this happen with all maps beyond the standard sahrani size of 2048 x 10?

PS- I tweaked my island config and found that adjusting from dividing the total distance (153600) by alpha characters (ie 24) I came up with a 6400m grid cell zoom1 size.  Zoom0 adjusted to 640 meters.  Grid fits perfectly now.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

worldName = "\normandy\normandy.wrp";

pictureMap = "";

pictureShot = "";

plateFormat = "ML$ - #####";

plateLetters = ABCDEGHIKLMNOPRSTVXZ;

longitude = -40; // positive is east

latitude = -40; // positive is south

class Grid //OFP style Aa00 - JJ99

{

//colorGrid[]={0,0,1,1};

//colorGridMap[]={0,0,1,1};

offsetX=0;

offsetY=0;

class Zoom0

{

zoomMax=0.1;

format="XY";

formatX="Aa";

formatY="00";

stepX=640;

stepY=640;

};

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax=1.0;

format="XY";

formatX="A-";

formatY="0-";

stepX=6400;

stepY=6400;

};

}

Problem solved. Talked to Bravo6 and he suggested I possibly change the texture size in the visitor parameters to a different size. He swears by 1024x1024x 10m cell size with a texture size of 40. That's fine and dandy, but I'm in love with bigger maps. I was using 75 meters which was unstable. I ended up using 150m which made my gigantic map completey stable.

Bulldozer now works throughout the map.

So if you ever go as big as 2048x2048 with a 75m cell, use 150m for your textures in your base layer. Anything more gets ugly and anything less is unstable.

*side note: Using excessive amounts of objects at 300m texture size won't even let bulldozer launch.

Glad it worked out. smile_o.gif

Out of curiosity, what dimension is your satmap and how large is the terrain when compiled into a PBO?

The sat map is 2048x2048. PBO'd it's 85mb.  300,000 + objects.  Yeah I'm new  biggrin_o.gif  But I've edited it on a pixel to pixel level.  So it doesn't look great and it doesn't look bad.  I'm building this map for various reasons, beauty isn't one of them.  Functionality is!

It's 153600 meters x 153600 meters

So basically 95 miles x 95 miles or 9,025 square miles

OR pretty close to 23,593 square kilometers.

IT takes a while to get from place to place ingame - BUT I along with many others like that.  I'm testing out some aircraft models I've made.  IF you look in the pic below it took roughly 8 minutes to fly from a farm field near VierVille-sur-Mer to the city of Caen.  IF you google earth it you will see what's involved.  The aircraft was a Hawker Hurricane V flying at roughly 300 kts.  It will be a good map for people that like the air aspect of ArmA or possibly tank battles.  Soon as I'm done with it my squad will beta test the map for problems.

couple map pics:

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

couple ingame pics:

jagd1-1.jpg

Yes I have some VERY long rivers:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/wa_roush/pegasus1.jpg

Some wide open areas:

cherbourg2.jpg

Some not so wide open areas:

map15.jpg

jagd3.jpg

I've put over a full month plus of work into it 8 to 12 hours a day nearly 5 days a week.  Heh a job!  But that's the price you pay for fun later.   I've also sank a lot of time into many models for use in it.  I used google earth, NASA space shuttle radar, sat imagery.  I also used historic photo's during the period in question to model all the towns.  And yes Paris and London are modeled in case you're wondering.

This is how crazy big it is. Video:

That's huge man, really really huge... ;_;

Im also glad you finally found a way to make the map stable, like you said in the mp.

Though i hope you don't rush things. If you intend to release the map as it is, like you said, i hope you work on it abit more to make it more natural.

With that kinda size map i also hope you have alot of patience smile_o.gif

Keep it up.

Quote[/b] ]300,000 + objects.

Oh I just remembered something that might be of help, you're limited to 4 million objects (if I recall correctly), so use them wisely.

-edit-

Confirmed.

I have a doubt:

Limited to 4 million objects untill binarize the map?

Ie, imagine map maker put 4 million objects in a map, then pbo it, can people add more in editor after the map is done?

I thought the limit was 999,999 objects ( read that somewhere ). If 4,000,000's the case, then I've got alot more to do. Yeah the map is sweet and so far it's working out great.

I'm trying to figure out a way to model some grass fields AI can't see through, but it's tough when it comes to poly counts and computer performance. You have to go he 3D route with geometry level of details that block the AI view. AI can see through the existing single plane billboarded foilage models we currently have. I thought of making a long model of grass, corn and wheat billboarded in a 3 dimensional plane with a geo level of detail inside of it to block ai visibility. This way you could possibly hide in a field from them. But I will experiment with it and see.

I've also got to model several historic objects found in the region I've modeled including the Eiffel tower, the London Bridge, Buckingham p., Pegasus bridge, several gun emplacements that fire, maybe some trenches.

I've got the kind of patience to tell my squad mates every day when they log on that I'm not playing ArmA with them today. wink_o.gif OF course they know why.

Here's where I made an attempt at a field by trying the cheap way and adjusting ground glutter height and view distance. I set clutter height to 1.75-2.0 and distance to 400 meters. Had it at 1,000 meters but it caused stability issues with other lower end computers. It looks okay, but the problem is AI can see right through that stuff. Try putting 1 enemy AI in a field like that with 10 squad mates and that single enemy AI will own you all! Even on 10% skill level.

grassy1.jpg