Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Future of pharamceuticals in China

Just curious to learn the views of other people on this topic. Now they're starting to become more affluent will this be the next big place drugs will be being sold? Obviously there will not be much of a market for the latest drugs but surely the generic drug manufacturers will start to do well here. Now the poorer Chinese population have a choice to buy drugs to treat their problems rather than just accept they have to suffer them.

What are your views from an investment perspective?

That's great information indeed.

What I was aiming at though is considering whill China become a major consumer of such drugs rather than a producer due to the increase in their living standards. If this is the case will they be able to supply their population's needs through their own drug manufacturing industries or will they have to buy from Western firms (giving us an easy way into the market and directly into the specific firms we choose to invest in).

I assume China don't do much if any research into new drugs as all their top academics are presumably tied up with the industrial drive.

Is it possible that lack of development and confidence due to scares in their own drug manufacturing industry will force them to buy from abroad? If so how big is it going to be?

I heard they gave one guy in charge of drug manufacturing the death penalty after he used counterfeit ingredients!!

if you live in china long enought you will find that you are living in a world filled with copy cats, poorly made products and fake stuff, kind of getting used to it biggrin_o.gif

anyway, money are evil, and a$$holes are everywhere

those guys who made fake/poorly made products totally deserves that, most of them are doing it for easy money, someone even make fake eggs using chemicals that are totally not suppose to be use by all mean mad_o.gif

Wow so I presume even their own future potential consumers of drugs have little confidence in their national manufacturers? Is that right?

Wow so I presume even their own future potential consumers of drugs have little confidence in their national manufacturers? Is that right?

most of the time the fake products are not manufacted by the manufacturers, so we still have confidence in large national manufacturers that have both export and inland market, but there are just too many fake and poorly made products on the market, ppl have to be careful to find products that wont kill them

Is it really that bad? I assume you live in China by the use of the word 'we'.

Do you think it's likely to change anytime soon? I assume this fear of bad and counterfeit drugs is putting a major dent in the potential earnings of the drug companies is that correct?

Do you see anything likely to change this anytime soon?

Now they're starting to become more affluent will this be the next big place drugs will be being sold? Obviously there will not be much of a market for the latest drugs but surely the generic drug manufacturers will start to do well here. Now the poorer Chinese population have a choice to buy drugs to treat their problems rather than just accept they have to suffer them.

You may want to take into consideration that China and also India are regarded as markets with a lot of potential growth by the makers of HPLC and UPLC instruments.  I used to work for one of these companies (on the engineering side of things).  I was present in a few meetings when they were discussing where they anticipate future sales growth to come from.

I assume this fear of bad and counterfeit drugs is putting a major dent in the potential earnings of the drug companies is that correct?

The pharmaceutical companies have a few tricks up their sleeves for dealing with this problem.  The counterfeiters will have difficulties in the international markets (not including black markets of course).  However, counterfeiters could concentrate their efforts in their respective domestic markets.

@ Aug. 04 2008,21:20)]You may want to take into consideration that China and also India are regarded as markets with a lot of potential growth by the makers of HPLC and UPLC instruments.

That's great info but I'm sorry to sound ignorant what are HPLC and UPLC instruments?

@ Aug. 04 2008,21:20)]The pharmaceutical companies have a few tricks up their sleeves for dealing with this problem. The counterfeiters will have difficulties in the international markets (not including black markets of course). However, counterfeiters could concentrate their efforts in their respective domestic markets.

That's exactly what I was thinking they would do. Given the amount of industry in China and the amount that is probably unregulated along with their natural skill and aptitude to manufacture things I would guess conterfeiters could - if the damage they're doing got enough exposure - cripple the domestic drugs market. Doesn't this potentially mean that generic drug manufacturers of Western & Eastern origin with lots of exposure to supplying the domestic Chinese market would not be good investment bets regardless of how affluent China's recent and future success may make the nation?

That's great info but I'm sorry to sound ignorant what are HPLC and UPLC instruments?

HPLC=High Performance Liquid Chromatography*

UPLC=Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography

These instruments run samples through their systems under pressure.  One of the components inside of the HPLC/UPLC systems is called a column.  As the sample runs through the column, different parts of the sample will pass through the column at different rates.  There are different phases of the process, but the idea is to separate the sample in order to identify what it is made of.  This is not a very good explanation as I am not a chemist.  I just had a part in working on the CAD assemblies of HPLC/UPLC instruments with Unigraphics and I also worked on some of the silkscreen artwork on the back of the instruments as well as on the shipping boxes.

That's exactly what I was thinking they would do. Given the amount of industry in China and the amount that is probably unregulated along with their natural skill and aptitude to manufacture things I would guess conterfeiters could - if the damage they're doing got enough exposure - cripple the domestic drugs market. Doesn't this potentially mean that generic drug manufacturers of Western & Eastern origin with lots of exposure to supplying the domestic Chinese market would not be good investment bets regardless of how affluent China's recent and future success may make the nation?

I am not sure, so I will refrain from posting my opinion in response to your question as I am a technical guy, I am not of the sales/marketing ilk.

*Originally called HPLC=High Pressure Liquid Chromatography

Great info! Thanks. I assume the HPLC and UPLC related equipment (your explanation was fine by the way) is used to copy existing products and substances. Given that someone like a car manufacturer for example would not have any need of this then I would imagine it would be drug companies and R&D based people who would be buying these smile_o.gif

Funny topic ah ~

I come from Beijing, China. I have visited the United States, Russia, Japan, Thailand and other countries. The overall impression, China's most comfortable and safe, although many places in your view is not ideal. Just philosophy is different.

If you have any questions of my country, you can ask me directly.

If you guys paint here blindfolded, I can just only say:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Funny topic

whistle.gif

Good thing your not being blocked Fromz, I love your soundmod. I belive Tonyranger from the FFN mod is Chinese as well. wink_o.gif

@fromz

That's great, I was hoping someone of Chinese origin would post here sooner or later. So what is your personal impression of the things mentioned in this topic?

How do you and your friends view things like reported counterfeiting in the drugs industry? Do you have confidence in what you're buying?

I see you are well travelled. How do living standards in your country compare to those you have seen in the US?

What do you see for the future of China both economically and socially?