Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Need help with Arabic Spelling

Not really sure where to put this thread so just move it if there's another section more appropriate.

Anyway, I've been working on a northern Iraqi city called Avgani which is located ca. 10 km north of Tall Afar. Thing is I have no idea how to spell it in Arabic, I've asked some Arabic speaking people about it, but they've never heard about it, tried spelling it phonetically or with some variation in arabic but didn't find it.

So, does anyone here with have any clue as to how the name of this city is spelled in Arabic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just a quick search gave me the folliwing info:

Quote[/b] ]This is the actual town of Avgani (or El Ayaldiyah as the locals call it - "Avgani" is Kurdish for "Stinky Water" and the Turcomen inhabitants of this city don't care much for that name for good reason. This is predominently a Sunni Turcomen town and is the sub-district seat for the Avgani Sub-District, Tal Afar District, Nineweh Province. 2006 population estimate at 10,000 in the city proper, 75,000 in the sub-district.

so maybe you can ask those people to translate "stinky water" insted of Avgani?

Yeah, but that's Kurdish, not Arabic. Of course it is written with the Arabic alphabet, but I don't know anyone who speaks Kurdish.

It is possible to spell this name in arabic. You need from left to right

Ia Nun dschin with an vocalization above it fa and alif

you can look for them in the internet.

I think you need to save with Unicode for Arabic characters, anyway the filename is the same I presume.

Thanks!