Sign in to follow this  
gsleighter

Am I having fade issues?

So, I had to format my hard drives and reinstall windows, as my PC was becoming a huge mess. I reinstalled arma, patched to 1.14, and threw in some mods (XEH, six-packs, effects, and Hi-Fi sounds), and now I'm experiencing sound errors. In a firefight, all sounds fade out, until all I hear are bullet cracks and impacts, no weapons make any noise. Also, the enemy troops don't engage effectively, to the extent that I can sprint across 100 meters of open terrain, pull out a pistol, and shoot them with it point blank without being shot at.

I disabled all the mods, to no effect. Is it possible that because I went straight to 1.14 Arma thinks it's a pirated version? I've never had these errors before, and I've been playing since the German version was available online. I've got Arma Gold from Atari right now, bought at Best Buy.

I'm having the same problem. My game was updated incrementally,

so I don't think it has anything to do with installing 1.14 directly.

I've noticed several other posts with similar problems, the common denominator seems to be a creative sound card. Mine is an audigy

4. It happens almost immediately in large missions with lots of units.

Is there a config line to up the amount of RAM allocated for sound?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried without any addons installed?

It is most likely addon problem

Fade in the past didn't affect sounds, it affected accuracy.

Fade now changes you into a seagull or something

Yeah, I'm running a clean install, no addons or mods active, and as soon as the shooting starts, all the gunfire sounds fade out, and the enemy stands around without firing back. I should point out that while disabling EAX and hardware sound returns most of the sound, the enemy still stands around waiting to be shot, even as I sprint towards them in open terrain in plain daylight.

Addons or not makes no difference here either. I can also make the problem better by disabling EAX and hardware acceleration, though it doesn't go away completely. With EAX and HW enabled, virtually all sounds disappear save for a stray shot or explosion here and there. With both disabled, I'll still lose about 50% of the sounds I should be hearing, including my own weapon firing.

I've tried re-installing OpenAl as was suggested in another thread, but no luck. I'm using the most current drivers for an audigy 4 and XP, so there's nothing to be done there either.

In my case however, it's just the sound problem, I haven't noticed anything going on with the AI.

XP Pro

Core 2 duo E6750

8800 GT 512

2 X 2gb pc800 dual-channel

Audigy 4 Gamer

Sony DRU 800A DVD

300 GB Seagate SATA HD

In a firefight, all sounds fade out, until all I hear are bullet cracks and impacts, no weapons make any noise. Also, the enemy troops don't engage effectively, to the extent that I can sprint across 100 meters of open terrain, pull out a pistol, and shoot them with it point blank without being shot at.

None of this looks like anything related to a copy protection.

My guess is your installation got messed up somehow, but I am afraid it is not possible to tell where without knowing more details.

Quote[/b] ]because I went straight to 1.14

Straight to from which version? 1.14 needs to be applied over 1.08. If you managed to install it directly over some older version, then this is definitely a problem.

Thanks for the reply Suma,

I have Arma Gold, so it's 1.08 out of the box, and I applied 1.14 patch.

I've gone through several versions of my X-fi's drivers, so I'm beginning to think that there was a problem on install.

I also think that because since Saturday, my optical drive is crapping out, and hard-locks my computer when I put ANY disc in the drive. So, I should have a new one in the mail Wednesday, and I'll try reinstalling Arma.

What  version of X-FI drivers are you using?  if it's 2.18 beta then i've also had problems with sounds dropping out in other games..

Have you tried completely uninstalling the sound card and reinstalling the drivers?

Yeah, it's the 2.18 drivers, I'm not going to try to fix it until my new optical drive shows up in the mail this week, but I'll try that to see if the sound isn't fixed before I just reinstall, since the sound drivers probably have nothing to to with the AI problems I'm having.

Strange thing, the new Nvidia drivers don't work for me either, and I'm hesitant to flash my BIOS if I don't need to, since I completely screwed up my PC on Saturday doing that. But, I have an 8800GTX, which is going to get Physx support with the next patch, and I'd like to try out UT3 and some other stuff with the added support.

I think that's your problem, try uninstalling the drivers and then install the last official drivers...that should solve your problem...with the sound dropping out that is.

An update: The older X-Fi drivers fixed the sound problems, so no more fading out of sounds, which is awesome.

And now the horribly embarrassing part:

There's a VERY large difference between the 1.0 and 0.1 settings when you're manually setting SkillEnemy and SkillFriendly. If you've set up your own dispersion settings, you know what I mean.

whistle.gifbanghead.gif