Sign in to follow this  
dale0404

BIOS etc

Been reading these forums and alot of people have been advising to flash the bios.

1. How do I find what motherboard I am using.

2. How do I flash the bios.

3. Is it safe?

1. You look it up from your motherboard manual... if you have it that is. An alternative is to open the case of the computer and start reading. If you have trouble locating your motherboard, then that would be the board with a lot of small parts attached to it, and also with smaller cards attached to it... Try to find the make and the model information from the motherboard itself. Then you go to the motherboard manufacturer's website (google.com helps to find it) and start looking for a BIOS update download.

2. You will follow the instructions that the motherboard manufacturer gives you.

3. It is not 100 % safe, but if you think that your power doesn't go off suddenly, and if you follow the instructions the motherboard manufacturer gave to you, then it should be OK. Usually the motherboard manufacturer says that if your computer doesn't have any problems, then don't update the BIOS.

when i did it I found an .ISO file on the mobo vendors website.

burnt that onto a CD, and booted the PC with that (you may need to change BIOS settings to have CD as the first bootable drive on your drive list. The update BIOS program runs and installs the BIOS update.

once that is done, dont reboot straight away. Turn off the PC at the mains and wait 30sec-1min to let any stored power dissapate. Then turn on and load windows as normal. BIOS should now be updated.

but like others have siad its best to check your motherboard manual. And DO NOT try to do it within windows if you can.. though some mobo's allow this method of updating. Ive seen hundred of posts by people who have stated doing it this way killed their PC.

Thanks for the replies gents.

1 other thing, what exactly does it do in regards to the playability of Arma and in general to your computer?

Generally the bios update may improve compatibilty with hardware thats come out since the mobo drivers were made. This may improve framerate, or help prevent crashes etc. Then again it may not do anything noticible in a specific application. Its just one less thing that could possibly be causing you issues.