Sign in to follow this  
loki

playmovie?

i don't think it does... but... does arma recognize any video formats like it does the .ogg sound files?

thx

No.

The only way is to either script your own compression codec, or to display frame by frame in .paa.

sux.. thought so...

i've seen the frame by frame.. very bulky...

how does one "script your own compression codec"? and then call it?

You're asking the wrong n00b biggrin_o.gif

I just remember something done in OFP, I think it was CoC... They had a video of a cruiser launching a missile I think and it wasn't just a frame by frame... I think.

It was a long time ago huh.gif

biggrin_o.gif thanks for the honesty and the lead on an idea.. the question still stands for any who know.

You know, you may not have to code anything.

If your video is under one minute long, and you have specific size requirements, you may just reduce its size.

You may dismiss the idea of going full-screen altogether, even with any coded compression.

If it is for offline play (i.e. SP missions / campaigns), then you may be open to sizes up to 20Mb in my opinion.

If it is for an addon, forget about any limitations. Everyone has broadband.

i can see you have an idea.. but i do not see what it is.. there was a way in OFP to play a video? if so can you give me a link to check the scripts out?

also:

i can bring you up to speed on what i am doing and why the question.

i have a map:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=31437.0

map1zb9.jpg

these guys are the intro guys that shoot each other at the start...

map2ok4.jpg

so.. after the initial battle all JiP's don't see the intro guys... they are dead..

and as you see...with the pic by pic.. its very bulky at 30 fps and a 10 sec intro... 300 jpgs...

as for your thoughts

i figure the first is breaking the game engines limits.. and with the Stargate mod.. when one enters the gate.. it shows a 2 sec animation of the wormhole from the movie.. problem is.. its 70 jpg's that total 3.34 MB..

http://forum.armedassault.info/index.p....8&st=0&

map1ec4.jpg

it can be done.. if one figures it out... arma is very open source for a 'game'

Two solutions.

Recreate the battle everytime a player connects, on a different position on the map.

You spawn the units, make them do the same things.

Once it's done, you setPos the bodies to [0,0,0] and start all over at each connection.

Or the suite of jpgs. It is a lot of jpgs but I think VirtualDub allows you to cut your video frame by frame. Reduce each jpg quality to something like 60-65. Half-size screen so... If we consider 22" monitors are the most common in the gaming community, that makes it 840*525.

For example: if I take one of my screenshots, scale it and compress it as I said (here, 65):

Size: 32.2kb

screencayolokijz7.jpg

So, for 300 images of 40kb (because I had 2 black rectangles), you end up with 12Mb. Unacceptable for you?

Note that the more you reduce the size of your image (here, it's quite reduced) you can reduce the quality more. I think you can even go under 50 quality.

Test with quality 45:

Size: 23.7kb

screencayoloki2pw3.jpg

I don't notice much difference. Do you?

Ultimately it's up to you. I think the movie is by far the most complex, heavy solution; moreover, if your mission is a coop or PvP there will be very little, if any, JiP.

If it's more of an Evolution, then yes it's important.

hmm... interesting look at reality.

from what i can tell.. the 'community' wants maps no larger than 5MB.. but you are right about the gamers having broadband...

what is 12MB when you can d/l it in 30 sec...

i guess the intro better be worth it... biggrin_o.gif

edit:

how does one call all the jpg's from a script?

Now THAT is the fun part rofl.gif

You have to declare each and every one of them in your description.ext and then call it with cutRsc (depending on how you declared it).

You can find many tutorials, including in the biki, about how to do that.

Your Ctrl, C, and V keys will suffer.

thanks for your help.. i'll check it out

For practical reasons I would suggest a simple slide show of a few but impressive shots with smooth blending transitions and maybe a coherent sound file to come close to a movie.

Right, like they did for the Rahmadi Conflict campaign.

Good idea.