Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

Tips on Placing Bridges

Guest RKSL-Rock

Ok guys, please can someone help me out. I'm trying to place a bridge across uneven terrain. its quite a wide area and is offset by 35 degrees. What is the best way to do it?

To be honest mate i havnt found any easy way of doing it.

I line the peices up first and then adjust the height in the proerties of the object.

What more can i say other than....its a real pain. :-)

Wedge

unless there is a special script for it (i doubt) i think you will have to do it the old fashion way. Placing object by object and leveling each one till millimeter.

But if there is other way of doing it, ill be glad to learn it.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Well so far i've only had one good suggestion:

Quote[/b] ]Regarding bridges i found best way for me ,is load unfinished map to arma propper, make mission , set bridges , when happy with positions (in a line from a-b) , alter heights by editing mission sqm . remember its x,z,y  in sqm (saving sqm , then alt tab to arma and reload mission).  when you are very happy and ai like them (as much as poss ).  then save mission, these xzy in mission sqm should now correspond when you click on object in visitor and it give you option to edit x,y,z.

long winded but nice in long term precision . the other way is to simply make each landing point of start and end of bridge a sheer cliff and same height, this way all your bridges will be in the same height, looks crap though for higher bridges.

I just don't get how the .pew enters in this story.

How will you port the mission.sqm to map.pew?! huh.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
I just don't get how the .pew enters in this story.

How will you port the mission.sqm to map.pew?!  huh.gif

If you place an object in the editor it puts the coords into the <missionname>.SQM file.  Edit the SQM find the coords and then manually put those coords into the bridge properties in visitor and they should all line up.

All pretty easy really.

yeah i know, its easy.. i wonder why we did not thought about it before biggrin_o.gif

"unblock our minds, please" hihi

Use the setabsoluteheight.vis script (it's in Visitor 3).

Guest RKSL-Rock
Use the setabsoluteheight.vis script (it's in Visitor 3).

D'You know, there are some people that i'd kiss if they were in the same country!  biggrin_o.gif

I've wasted atleast an hour setting a very long bridge level and that fixed it in seconds.  Thanks!

PS I dont suppose anyone has any tips on placing fences?

EDIT - one should not type when overly tired...faces = fences = too little sleep.

I know this thread is a few months old (please excuse me, placebo), but I came across the issues with lining up objects as well.  Some of the BIS MLODs have the snap points you can read about in the wiki, but most of them do not.  Furthermore, if you are using the ODOL models by decompressing the pbos to your P:\CA\ folder, you will get no snap points at all.

I got around this by copying the sample MLOD models into their respective folders in P:\CA\.  Then, if a model is missing the snap points, you can do a quick edit in O2 to add them or edit them.  The snap points are just used to align the objects, and so far as I can tell, there are no adverse effects to this: they are lined up just fine when you put the map in game (which uses the original model, w/o the snap points).

For a reference on the snap points, check out the memory LOD of \buildings\misc\plot_ohrada.p3d.  If that's a bit too complicated (it can snap 4 different ways), try \buildings\misc\zidka01.p3d (only 2 ways).  If you're familiar with O2, you should be able to figure out what's going on pretty easily, and be able to adapt it to other objects that you want this for.

smile_o.gif