Sign in to follow this  
layne_suhr

A-10 in ArmA way unrealistic

Hi all

Excluding standoff weapons such as hellfire and LGB etc.

The major cause of casualties to air to ground attack vehicles in ArmA is the same as it is in real life.

Too shallow an attack angle.

This applies to FFAR attacks, unguided bombs excluding computed lobs and gun runs in both fixed and rotary wings.

The proper way to ground attack is to come in from high up in a diving attack and break off high enough up so you do not hit the ground. This means minimum time close up over target maximum time lining up on target (instead of dodging trees and houses) and fast egress out of the hot zone.

Ingress and egress routes need to be planned, final attack line to and from target should be parallel to any front lines to prevent blue on blue. The attack run should be rehearsed once. Ideally ingress, target and egress should be suppressed prior to and after the attack run.

Kind regards walker

Guest RKSL-Rock
Hi all

Excluding standoff weapons such as hellfire and LGB etc.

The major cause of casualties to air to ground attack vehicles in ArmA is the same as it is in real life.

Too shallow an attack angle.

This applies to FFAR attacks, unguided bombs excluding computed lobs and gun runs in both fixed and rotary wings.

The proper way to ground attack is to come in from high up in a diving attack and break off high enough up so you do not hit the ground. This means minimum time close up over target maximum time lining up on target (instead of dodging trees and houses) and fast egress out of the hot zone.

Ingress and egress routes need to be planned, final attack line to and from target should be parallel to any front lines to prevent blue on blue. The attack run should be rehearsed once. Ideally ingress, target and egress should be suppressed prior to and after the attack run.

Kind regards walker

My point exactly; if we (community or BIS) could get the AI to use the aircraft more effectively then that would be a huge difference!  

IE The option and ability to influence behaviour depending on weapon selection.  Isn’t this what FSM scripting was meant to enable?

Pilot survivability depends alot on a properly modeled aircraft so you really not only need a good FM you also require realistic weapons modelling and employment plus a working RWR and ECM/Chaff and flares. When using an a-10 it depends on the threat as to how high or low you will fly. If you look at the greatest threat to the A-10 is both the Shilka and the Strela. In order to fight against the Shilka what you do is first good intel on tgt location. 2nd right weapon to take it out a surgical strike would involve Mavericks a Shilka stands out amongst armoured vehicles in a convoy due to its large turret so its easy to pick out with the 65s TV view. If you use the gun IRL you can pick off the Shilka due to the longer range of the A-10s gun. The other option is CBUs or iron bombs with either dive bomb CCIP or level with CCRP. Tactics can also involve a popup attack in the event of enemy CAP. As for the Strela you need flares to be modeled to get more of a chance against IR SAMs. Most of this stuff you can't yet do in Arma as it needs:

-working MFD for maverick targetting

-RWR and ECM

-FM improvements to allow accurate use of the gun

-visual distance fixed for high altitude use

-realistic weapons loads CBUs, iron bombs etc

If you need an example buy Lomac and use its A-10 and you'll see just how good it should be. IRL the A-10 would own just about everything if a few improvements were made.

IE The option and ability to influence behaviour depending on weapon selection. Isn’t this what FSM scripting was meant to enable?

Not to my understandment.

I think FSM (or just script) could tweak flight routes by weaponselection or target's type. Altough i haven't messed with pilot-AI but grunts should in many ocations be turned to zombies which are following orders what FSM tells them to do in slave-like fashion my MOUT-scripts makes me laugh still:

"My name is private Jones... I need to get to that corner and check it before squad passes it... mmm... Brains".

Their own will (AI) has to be shut down partially or even complitely as otherwise stock AI might keep on interfering with what FSM tries to do. But overall i don't have even vain picture of how pilot-AI should be handled and forexample how it chooses it's flightpaths in sky. There are some script-command ment for pilots and how they choose their flightpaths between waypoints... i think.