Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Keypoint Names

Okay, so what's the secret I am so obviously missing on how to get named locations to appear on the map in game, whether the wrp file is packed or binarzed? The data is stored in the hpp file, but never appears on the map for me. The keypoint names do appear in V3, but that seems independent of the hpp file, as it can be deleted and the names still appear.

So after some time struggling with solving this a light came on in my head and I simply copied and pasted pasted the contents of the hpp file into config.cpp and voila, the names appear in game.

So is this the way it is meant to be done. And if so, please point where this is explained. If it is not the correct way, then how?

Thanks!

Just leave the names in the .hpp.

In your config class Names section put.

class Names

{

#include mynames.hpp

};

Something along those lines anyway, I don't have my main machine available to check properly........that is from memory.   crazy_o.gif

Planck

Just leave the names in the .hpp.

In your config class Names section put.

class Names

{

#include mynames.hpp

};

Something along those lines anyway, I don't have my main machine available to check properly........that is from memory. crazy_o.gif

Planck

as Plank said, you can either use the #include sintax, or simply create the class names, and copy past the content of the hpp into the cpp wink_o.gif

Thanks. If it wasn't for you expert "old hands" where would we be? Can you have the powers that be add this to the Biki? I see now the code in the samplemap.cpp, but there is no annotation, so how can a new person know?

As I understand it, having never learnt any programming:

hpp and cpp are C++ file extensions. C++ is a programming language that uses commands such as #include and #define. ArmA's config files use some such aspects/syntaxes of C++? I don't really understand the how closely C++ and configs are related, but I've managed to get by copying and modifying existing, working configs.

I guess game developers and config gurus are generally accustomed to such things. It's obviously unrealistic to expect the devs to document every aspect of the game to such an extent that any layman can understand. But some BI Wiki information on the matter would be nice smile_o.gif

Well, I can't get beyond BASIC when it comes to code biggrin_o.gif

For those like me, here's a bit of information:

Do not use spaces, hyphens or other such symbols in the CLASS name. It will mess up your config file.

Also, ArmA does not include special symbols in it's fonts, so it cannot properly print on screen a name like: "Großbärenweiler".

Which encoding did you take? Afaik those "umlaute" (ä, ö, ü) do not work except in UTF-8 encoding.

If it does not work, then you could replace ä with ae, ö with oe and ü with ue to be orthographically correct smile_o.gif

You can always edit the produced .hpp file and include the 'umlaut' characters where needed and then resave in UTF-8 format.

You will need to do this every time you save your island as a .wrp file as Visitor will then produce it again in ansi format.

Planck