Sign in to follow this  
Frank-O

I am Canadian

I remember when they first got to Afghanistan, and were ridiculed for wearing green forest BDU's climbing the mountain sides of Tora Bora...

Then the Taliban body counts climbed, the world record 2,450m sniper kill, and the respect from US forces...

All of this under multiple US FF incidents.

Maybe this was part of it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=niwF6TEsw5w

Nice to see them finally getting helicopters, since Canada has none.

Proud to be your neighbour, Canada.

unofficially off Digg.

The single longest kill by a sniper of any caliber in the history of the world was made by Cpl. Rob Furlong from Newfoundland, Canada in March of 2002 with a McMillan Tac-50 sniper rifle. The kill was 7,972.4 feet or 1.5 miles.

Officially they're unidentified, but known only as Cp. "Bill" and Master Cpl. "James", from Fogo Island, NFLD, and Kingsville, ON respectively.

The entire sad part about Rob Furlong is that he became disillusioned by the army and their handling of him after that. He now works as a police officer. sad_o.gif

Abs

It could be worse, he could be approached by Blackwater.

And speaking of modesty, they won't claim the 20 kills+ estimated and some unconfirmed kills at even greater range. There's even one story of a US sniper pinned down with them, and the team had lost their rifles. The US sniper tossed his m24 to them and said,"here, you know how to use this better than i do". Not a dig on US snipers, but the respect shown is honored.

I remember my "unconfirmed kill" with a 50 cal in one CTI game. Mark was in base at SW Bagango, I was on the hill to the W. It was apx 1.5km because i had a stinger to verify range to the helos coming out of the factory. Rob's account of 2-3 shots, up to 5 is realistic. 1st shot is always a ranging shot. 2nd is for wind, and 3rd is usually the killer. Don't know why my mark kept standing in the same place after my first two shots, but it was weird seeing him drop after the bullet arcs past the 6 notch.

Canadian facts :

* They enjoy vacations in environments that the Taliban thinks are inhospitable.

* The chain saw, seal club, and hockey stick ratio to population practically guarantees that they'll survive any zombie apocalypse.

* 0W-30 motor gums up the car motors, use Tim Hortons instead. Warms up your insides and works as both antifreeze and motor oil.

* A drive to the supermarket involves factoring in the curvature of the earth.

* Recommended practice for destroying drug crop fields in deployed areas is by burning.

* Home to the vicious predatory baby seal, which will gnaw off your leg given the chance. Evil buggers that must be put down.

* Bears gnaw off more than just your leg given the chance, so go for their eyeballs if you get the chance. You just got to hook your thumbs in there good.

* To paraphrase CanadianTerror, Manitoba's provincial motto is "hold my beer, watch this..."

* Other countries traditionally cut up frozen lakes for ice, Canada cuts up the frozen atmosphere in the summer to keep it cold in the winter.

* Canada has unicorns, but they're whales.

* Hockey is an audience participation sport for all ages.

* Pirates of the Saskatchewan.

* Bush planes.

* Fire Diving.

* Moose.

* Nova Scotian trailer park documentaries.

I'm not your buddy, Friend! I'm Not Your Friend, Guy I'm not your Guy, buddy!

GIVE ME SOME OF THAT INTERNET MONEY

You forgot;

1. Standard Canadian cough medicine; Buckley's. Fisherman's Friend if you're in the east coast.

2. Income tax at $60k+, 43%.

3. Highest homicide rate in the world of campers killed by Black/Brown/Grizzly/Polar Bears.

4. Highest concentration of (Tim Horton's) coffee shops per City Block.

5. Only cruise missile test site; Quebec.

6. Don't build golf courses on Indian burial grounds. They're 50% of our commandos.

7. Still pissed off about the Avro Arrow.

8. It's called street hockey without a stick, not Soccer.

9. Don Valley Parkway makes 405 look like the Indy 500.

10. RCMP

Bonus; Anti-freeze actually freezes on windshields. Even the ones rated at -40 Celcius.

Stuff about Afghanistan belongs in the war on terror thread, for the rest of the "Oh Canada" that belongs in some other thread in some other forum, not here, lest we have a thread for every nation.........