Sign in to follow this  
dmitri

Placing sound objects

How can I place sound objects in visitor (owl, frogs, etc)?

yep good question I'd like to know as I have a swamp that needs some mossies and frog etc.

Surely someone must know how to do this?

I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'll have a go...

Environmental sounds are based upon terrain surface type, weather, altitude and proximity to the ocean. I'd use this system rather than trying to placing individual sound objects. AFAIK sound objects have no model, and so cannot be placed in the WRP anyway.

Look into CfgEnvSounds (in sound.pbo) and cfgSurfaces (in main config) for reference to create new sounds/environments.

I think this may be defined in the config. I have unpboed sahrani and looked at the config once, i didnt look so very closly but i know that the amount of different birds and insects were defined there and probably the same goes for sounds. This is just a wild guess tough, maybe its completly crazy

Don't want to use environmental sounds.

Figured that it'd be impossible without a model. Perhaps an invisible dummy object that emits a sound? Barely have enough time to work on an island, let alone researching stuff like this. wink_o.gif

@Brewster

Defining the objects in the config isn't the problem, it's placing them in Visitor. Could leave it up to the mission maker, but I like the idea of hardcoding the objects into the map.

thanks guys appreciate the feedback, I decided to customise the default pbo's to make a pbo that will be used in the island mod folder

Did you solve placing sounds in Visitor?

Sorry to bring this because im not sure if the "problem" im having is similar to whats talked in this thread..

My map is Desert atmosphere and i always have the anoying background sound of crickets ... always there as if they are in my head and not im the map in different places..

What do i need to do to make this sound more natural? ie, coming instead from different places and not from inside the head.?

You may want to investigate creating some custom ambient clutter objects. You could place an invisible object at ground level which emits some noises. ArmA already appears to have a built in system for having these objects spawn only under certain environmental conditions, such as only at night, only near trees etc. I don't know exactly how (or if) this system works. See sara's ambient class, and the leave classes in ca.