Sign in to follow this  
nullsystems

.p3d still not working for custom skin

Hi all.

Ive tried to reskin a soldier.

I changed the original ca model line in the config.cpp to:

model: "somepath\model.p3d"

Then went into the model.p3d with a hex editor, changed the paths to my addon and the right .paa files.

I saved this, then just quickly scribbled over the original .paa texture for the body and face, saved them in .paa and repacked it all.

The config shows the new skin, matching clothes.....but not MY version, just the original.

I have opened the .p3d 5 times now, checked it and confirmed, they are deffinately pointing the .paa files to my addon and new versions.

What am I missing?

Okay so lets be clear.

1. You have the new .p3d file at somepath\model.p3d

2. You have hexed new .p3d file to find textures from somepath/data/texture_names.paa

3. You have the model = "somepath\model.p3d" in your config

You could go check your arma.rpt error log incase there is a problem.

Yep, done all those.

If I remove the files from the addon one by one, they produce errors. So they ARE correct and in the right places.

Its just, for instand...civ1 has a blue shirt and blue shorts. If I mod them to be red...they still show up blue.

Odd.

What hex editor do yall use....Is there no other way to edit textures (no tex-swap utility like OFP). Sorry to ask this in your post string but wanted to know bout hex-editing.

Lamar

XVI32, its free. Google knows where it is lol.

This is really crazy, ive done this all before but took a break from it and im sure something is out of my control here.

Heres a little more info.

Im making a Resistance unit look like a civilian, with the clothes and face also. But with a custom look, you know..changing colors etc.

So I changed a resistance units config to the civilian model. Did as I mentioned, setup the p3d to match my new versions of the clothes.

But the changes I make to the .paa file don't show up. But if I remove them...they don't work. So they ARE correctly pointed to my versions of them.

Magic error huh lol

Well I have never done this myself, but I have heard that when hexediting you need to have same lenght on new path as was on old path.

So: \tracked\data\bmp1_co to \mytanky\data\bmpw_co

Don't put enormous amount trust in my words on this matter. Still now that BIS has released MLOD why don't you open it on Oxygen and mass change your texture paths there?

Yeah done all that, otherwise it would cause errors like " file not found ".

I just changed the file name of the .paa file im using to something else and used an entirely different looking clothing set...renamed that to what it says in the .p3d and it STILL shows the original!

Somethings going on here that im missing big time.

I have a folder set

AB/SomeFolder/file.p3d

AB/SomeFolder/hhl/hhl_33_co.paa

AB/SomeFolder/data/civil_1_tshirt_tsloch_co.paa

I modify the file.p3d so the old: ca\characters\etc Fits exactly with my folders and the length also. Otherwise if it didnt, there would be " missing file errors "

So what on earth is going on with that p3d file?

The config works, otherwise the .p3d wouldn't be initialised. so it must be the .p3d file surely.

Try to save it first as .tga as 32-bit map and then run it through texview. I can't really think anything else wrong with it at the moment.