Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Need help with search and destroy

call me oldschool, but i still really like the origional campeign. Particulary search and destroy. its fun for a minute until its made all to clear that its absolutely impossible. Anyone else get this? How have other people beaten this mission, because quite frankly, i'm moving to make my decrea that this is just not even possible.

It's the one where you need to find and destroy Guba's Scud launcher.

An easy way to do it is to pile everyone into the truck and drive to the chopper base in the east. Get 4 people and get in the choppers. Then fly over the area, kill all the Shilkas as quick as you can, then destroy the Scud (you'll have to target a white square on the radar manually, which is a little tricky). My wingman was shot down during this mission, but I was flying around for a while. Order your wingman to shoot some tanks too if you want (or call in the tank platoon).

That's an easy way to do it. The other way I've done it is to climb in the jeep, drive around the back of 'the hill' (look on your map) and creep down the mountain until you see the Scud. Find some bushes for cover, then shoot LAW at it (you can do it from pretty far away). Then creep back to your jeep and drive back to the extraction point.

Stealth is probably better than a frontal assault in this mission, since you don't have enough rocket guys to kill all the tanks, and it's tricky calling in the choppers and tanks in time.

I always crawl up that "hill", so I avoid loosing the tanks and choppers, I could call.

But beware, there are a few groups of spetz natz on that hill wink.gif

Wish I'd picked up on the choppers! I crawled all over that hill and managed to place satchel charges right under the scud.

I did it the helicopter way, although I told the people who couldn't get in a chopper to wait outside the base, so it didn't blow my cover. Flew to the base, took out the Shilkas, found how annoyingly strong the T-80s were against my projectiles and eventually tokk out the scud. At the same time I selected all the foot-troops and told them to make their way for the place the scud was, and radioed in support from the M113s.

Surprisingly chalenging driving a helicopter and looking at the map at the same time!

I didn't understand why, but when I told my wingman to target some one and fire he never did. Oh well!

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Random @ Feb. 28 2002,12wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's the one where you need to find and destroy Guba's Scud launcher.

An easy way to do it is to pile everyone into the truck and drive to the chopper base in the east. Get 4 people and get in the choppers. Then fly over the area, kill all the Shilkas as quick as you can, then destroy the Scud (you'll have to target a white square on the radar manually, which is a little tricky). My wingman was shot down during this mission, but I was flying around for a while. Order your wingman to shoot some tanks too if you want (or call in the tank platoon).<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif ................................You have no idea how far down my mouth was hanging after i read that. You also have no idea how many times iv racked my brain trying to figure out how the hell to beat that mission on foot, cause i thought that was the only way to do it. You get such an inadiquate squad for the task at hand, its un bearable at times. And the support youre supposed to get from the choppers is hardly even present do to the placement of not one or two or three, but FOUR shilkas in one area. AUUGHHH!!!! I just did it the helicopter way, and my wingman never fired a shot, but never died either. got the scud, was about to anihilate some infantry with my 30MM, but i completed the mission too fast. still cant believe it, but thanks a million anyway.