Sign in to follow this  
_Pingu_

Completed claymores, need testing.

No idea what those RPT errors are and how to fix them

Got to be something with the model and/or faces not properly merged or whatever ... well tbh i dont have a clue of modelling biggrin_o.gif

But someone else can, and will tell you for sure.

The world doesn't revolve around extended event handlers, I think we can do without.

I think you got the conxept of XEH wrong.

The reason why it is so important is to have ensured compatibility with any other addons that use the same event handlers like yours. Really crucial nowadays since almost everyone seems to rely on EH´s for their stuff.

I don't use event handlers on anything but my claymore crate though, thus there's no issue.

Ahhhh...i see diefettenjahresindvorbei.gif

Will test the latest version asap, been literally dreaming of putting them on rooftops to harass the enemy even more.

Thx for clarification and your efforts btw. Those things are so much fun to play around with biggrin_o.gif

edit: back, and you´re gonna hate me *g*

Im getting this:

pingu_clay2.jpg

If i use the claymore together with these most important and properly config´ed addons.

Guess its something wrong with the claymores.

Also the Safety Off option kinda clutters the action menu a bit too much.

If those have to stay could you please make ´em at least go away after the claymores are armed?

pingu_clay1.jpg

edit2: Just got reminded that placement on rooftops isn´t possible. All objects magically fall to ground level ... damn ArmA banghead.gif

I'm working on getting claymores working inside buildings and on rooftops now.

My config doesn't even TOUCH CfgModels, does anyone have any ideas?

edit: As for the safety thing, I think it would be worse to have them disappearing as it would be confusing having an already cluttered menu with items appearing and disappearing. I will leave it as is, I hope you understand why. You only need to safety off when you are actually going to blow the claymores so it doesn't really create any more clutter than before.

edit2: Turns out getpos with buildings is fucked, I've fixed the problem by placing the claymore relative to the player model via modelToWorld. So, nasty details aside the claymores now work as you'd expect inside buildings, on rooftops, anywhere you can stand. Here they are:

http://rapidshare.com/files/93346636/claymore.pbo.html

I doubt the config issue is fixed in these but give it a go, I've reworked the explosion mechanism in this version so that you can no longer see the shell dropping and it works while the claymore is floating in mid-air (which can happen if you place it over the edge of a building). Hell, you could hang the things from trees if you could stand in them. Only problem with placing these in building is that like grenades, the actual explosion comes from the ground below so if you're on a fourth floor you have to rely on the shrapnel alone. Not that I recommend placing claymores inside buildings.

You only need to safety off when you are actually going to blow the claymores so it doesn't really create any more clutter than before.

Hm, must agree. Before i just un-safed them right away .. me likes the danger biggrin_o.gif

It could aswell be some of the other addons, still it doesn´t happen w/o the claymores. Im clueless.

I'm working on getting claymores working inside buildings and on rooftops now.

Well if you can pull this off you´ll have a place in my and many other hearts forever!

Just rechecked with a fellow scripter that this isn´t possible at all in stock ArmA.

Err, you posted while I was editing so just to make it clear I now have a place in your heart forever.

Try the claymores alone on an empty mission? Does it still happen?

Can you try them without your other addons too please.

Off course, that´s the least i can do to say thx biggrin_o.gif

Will edit this post later.

edit: Flawless (victory)!

With my bunch of mods loaded that cfgModels error is still there, but you can click it away and it won´t appear again.

I'll single check every addon from that modfolder later to isolate the source.

But for now i´m off, bringing hell to those unsuspecting AI´s yay.gif

edit2: Seems i´ve jinxed it by saying flawless confused_o.gif

Just noticed a 1-2 second delay (+ FPS dropdown) upon exploding the clay´s.

Tried with & without mods, secondary and primary slot, on Rahmadi & Sahrani. It´s always the same.

Gonna updload a video of it, stay tuned.

http://dl1.armed-assault.de/team/burns/pingu_claytest.avi

^^ First run with, second w/o mods.

While standing on the dangerous end while touching off i can clearly hear the 'whizz' sound getting repeated or multi-played .. similar to the first run.

edit3: And could we have the 'Attach Tripwire' back?

Without it there´s no possibility to trap-use clays from rooftops.

I've heard people complaining about my addons with this too, although I've not seen it myself. I have been told that it's a general problem with the way addons work now, someone else's addon can cause this error in your addon, even though your addon is not at fault. I wasn't told how you can protect your addon from this, or if you even can.

And apparently there is no longer any "default" class as there was in OFP which is why the error comes up in the first place.

Isn´t caused by your addon, at least not alone.

Almost anything from soundmods to unit replacements will cause it as far as i´ve seen it from 20 times testing.

Leaves me puzzled .. would be neat if a dev could clarify confused_o.gif

Perhaps the delay is because I increased the number of fragments. What kind of a PC are you runnning? Anyone else having problems with a substatnial delay? I think a very slight drop in FPS is acceptable for reasonably specced machines as the alternative is having unrealistic ballistics and less effectiveness.

Perhaps the delay is because I increased the number of fragments. What kind of a PC are you runnning? Anyone else having problems with a substatnial delay? I think a very slight drop in FPS is acceptable for reasonably specced machines as the alternative is having unrealistic ballistics and less effectiveness.

AMD 2500+ @ 2100mhz, 1Gig of fast Ram & GF 7800AGP.

I fear you´re right ..

What changes do i need to make to get the old fragment number back? biggrin_o.gif

edit: nevermind, found it.

Anyone else having problems with a substatnial delay?

Not much of a delay, although I do see a severe FPS drop for about 5 seconds after detonation.

Can you please turn your graphics down to make sure it's not a graphics issue? I'm thinking it might just be the fact that you're rendering the effects from close up.

So there's definately less delay with the fragments turned down?

I'll see if I can make the individual pieces of shrapnel stay alive for sorter periods so they don't need to be calculated as long.

Edit: Can you go to your config.cpp please and try this?

class B_BallBearing : BulletBase {

hit = 4

indirectHit = 0;

indirectHitRange = 0;

visibleFire = 0.07;

audibleFire = 0.07;

visibleFireTime = 2;

typicalSpeed = 1100;

timeToLive=1;

}

Not the timeToLive, should allow the round to travel a good 800-1000 meters then stop simulating. Let me know if any of those things make a difference.

I personally only have a tiny FPS drop and a very slight delay which I attribute to creating all the shrapnel. I could create the shrapnel over a larger amount of time but that'd sound and look weird.

Already on the case Pingu smile_o.gif see if you like

Not much FPS slowdown anymore, although I have to say I am also further away than I was before.

That looks good DMarkwick, can you make more smoke and have it delayed a bit so that the original effect sort of fades into it? How are you going with multiplayerness? I don't think it's going to be that easy.

More smoke, over a larger area, lasting longer and expanding more. Lasts for roughly a minute per Claymore, which seems to be fine. The rock particles seem to be either there or not there, there's no "fading" other than losing them completely. Also have a small fade-in for my particles, although you cannot really see it in this test vid. Next test I will try with some wind, these are without wind.

Okay, I've lowered the number of shrapnel bits to 400, still more than before and upped the damage of each bearing a tiny bit to compensate. This should help out you guys with slower computers. The damage that the shrapnel does is just a guess from what I've read, if anyone here knows it should do more or less damage please let me know. Basically I aim for near 100% dead at 30 meters and from a quarter to a bit over half of the enemy dead at 50, most others being injured.

I've also included two scripts to allow mission designers to place already initialized claymores in missions and create thier own triggers for them, from simple tripwires/proximity trigggers to having the enemies intelligently blow claymores around thier perimiter when they spot you. Players can fully interact with these claymores placed by the mission editor disarming them, even turning them around. You can set the position, pitch and direction with the scripts so we can even hang them from trees.

Here's how to use them, let me know if it's intuitive enough for you all.

Easy way to get started:

1. Place a claymore ammo box (always do this or claymores won't work!wink_o.gif.

2. Create an empty helipad or any object you want to be able to place easily.

3. In the init field of the empty helipad make a call to the included script: x = [position this, 40, -2, "claymore_1"] execVM "claymore\scripts\manual_initialize.sqf". Note, first argument is position, second argument is direction in degrees, third argument is pitch (negative numbers denote pitch up) and the final argument is the name of the public variable you want the script to assign your new claymore to.

4. Create a trigger, activation code being: x = [claymore_1] execVM "\claymore\scripts\manual_detonate.sqf"

That's it, do you guys think it's easy enough?

So, I'm going to release them as this version most likely I just want to make sure there's nothing outstanding. Did anyone have any desperate last problems?

I undestand there's still unrest about the new tripwire system, if many more of you have a whinge or even better provide me with good points why you can't use the newer realistic tripwire system for whatever it is you want to do I may consider putting it back. I'm pretty deadset on it though as I don't think you can set up a tripwire in such a fashion in a short amount of time (It's a short enough time as is but who wants realism when it involves waiting?). Plus, those tripwires were sort of suspended in space with nothing leading back to the claymore which is rather shit.

edit: Forgot to actually post the new claymores, here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/93464141/claymore.pbo.html

edit2: Just saw your post dmarkwick, is multiplayer going to be possible? What's involved? As for the effects, looks great. I actually thought it looked more realistic as you had it before (with the custom explosion textures). It was just a bit jarring as you had the explosion then smoke suddenly appearing.

FPS slowdown (or rather lockup on my rig) is gone with the most recent version. Good work! And you didn´t even have to lower fragments to 300 like i did before thumbs-up.gif

AI placement procedure seem okay to me, as long as the final gets a proper readme file with all the hints in smile_o.gif

I've also included two scripts to allow mission designers to place already initialized claymores in missions and create thier own triggers for them, from simple tripwires/proximity trigggers to having the enemies intelligently blow claymores around thier perimiter when they spot you. Players can fully interact with these claymores placed by the mission editor disarming them, even turning them around. You can set the position, pitch and direction with the scripts so we can even hang them from trees.

Here's how to use them, let me know if it's intuitive enough for you all.

Easy way to get started:

1. Place a claymore ammo box (always do this or claymores won't work!wink_o.gif.

2. Create an empty helipad or any object you want to be able to place easily.

3. In the init field of the empty helipad make a call to the included script: x = [position this, 40, -2, "claymore_1"] execVM "claymore\scripts\manual_initialize.sqf". Note, first argument is position, second argument is direction in degrees, third argument is pitch (negative numbers denote pitch up) and the final argument is the name of the public variable you want the script to assign your new claymore to.

4. Create a trigger, activation code being: x = [claymore_1] execVM "\claymore\scripts\manual_detonate.sqf"

That's it, do you guys think it's easy enough?

Yep I think it's easy enough, but one small thing I might mention/suggest:

In game, when you're sighting the Claymore, is it possible to Hint up the direction & pitch up on screen? That way in the editor users can preview into the scenario, set up the Claymore and take down the info from the hints to be used in the script call.

I undestand there's still unrest about the new tripwire system, if many more of you have a whinge or even better provide me with good points why you can't use the newer realistic tripwire system for whatever it is you want to do I may consider putting it back. I'm pretty deadset on it though as I don't think you can set up a tripwire in such a fashion in a short amount of time (It's a short enough time as is but who wants realism when it involves waiting?). Plus, those tripwires were sort of suspended in space with nothing leading back to the claymore which is rather shit.

I still favor the 3-point system wink_o.gif

One good reason - now that you made it useable in buildings users might wish to tripwire across a doorway. Is it at all possible to use a 2-trigger setup? Also, I think it would be a great idea to exclude the Claymore layer from the trigger activation, the assumption being the Claymore layer would know exactly where the tripwire is.

Just little things now I guess, it's really become a great addon.

As far as MP effects goes, I will either work it into the config if I can or find some way of getting the script to execute on all clients, something I need to work out in any case for my own purposes.

I don't want to over clutter the screen of normal users just so mission editors can sight them in perfectly, though you have a good idea. When I release it I'll include an optional scripts/peep_sight.sqf drop-in replacement that hints.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by claymore layer, as for tripwiring doors, sure it's possible and it's the way I'd want to do it anyway.

Put the claymore off to one side of the door and run the tripwire to the other, if you put the claymore in the middle of the room and the tripwire to it's front rotated 90 degrees across the doorway it'd be obvious you don't want to walk in there as there's a claymore looking at you.

You mentioned 3 point system, the way I had it wasn't actually a three point system there's only a trigger going between the two points you specify, nothing coming from the claymore to the first point. I suppose I could implement that and I'd be slighly happier with it, I actually really like the ease of use of only having to specify one point though. Idunno, I'll have a think about it.

I don't want to over clutter the screen of normal users just so mission editors can sight them in perfectly, though you have a good idea. When I release it I'll include an optional scripts/peep_sight.sqf drop-in replacement that hints.

Sounds like a plan thumbs-up.gif

I'm unclear as to what you mean by claymore layer, as for tripwiring doors, sure it's possible and it's the way I'd want to do it anyway.

By Claymore layer, I mean the guy who lays the Claymore and sets the tripwire. I can imagine, especially if a 3-point system is used, that trying to find you way out of a building without blundering into the 1 meter wide trigger would be problematic. If the guy who laid the Claymore was excluded from the trigger and could backtrack and disable it before the rest of the group came out. Just an idea, not a biggie by any means.

You mentioned 3 point system, the way I had it wasn't actually a three point system there's only a trigger going between the two points you specify, nothing coming from the claymore to the first point. I suppose I could implement that and I'd be slighly happier with it, I actually really like the ease of use of only having to specify one point though. Idunno, I'll have a think about it.

Oh yeah I realise that's what it was, but I got the feeling you didn't like it because it wasn't a true 3-point system. If it was... well you could use the tripwire both ways in that case smile_o.gif

BTW, don't tripwire layers have little tent-peg type pins to use? Quite quick I would think just to push in a peg and loop a wire through the broken hoop. I would imagine, to be fully realistic, that the user would need to lay the tripwire then return to the Claymore to activate it, but I think you can take realism too far sometimes, you have to have the assumption that a man laying a Claymore knows how to lay a Claymore, and that it's the use of it rather than the full-on simulation of it is important, kind of like the helicopters.

I actually thought it looked more realistic as you had it before (with the custom explosion textures). It was just a bit jarring as you had the explosion then smoke suddenly appearing.

Yeah that's really the only way to do dust & sand kicked up by kinetic shock. Trying to get it to zoom out and suddenly stop is impossible with the ArmA particle system, I find that your mind usually fills in what "must" have happened when dust suddenly appears smile_o.gif

But I think the blast of outward particles overlaying the dust is quite a good look actually. I lost the explosion that the shell originally had as from what I've seen on Liveleak Claymore explosions doesn't have any place.

I actually thought it looked more realistic as you had it before (with the custom explosion textures). It was just a bit jarring as you had the explosion then smoke suddenly appearing.

Yeah that's really the only way to do dust & sand kicked up by kinetic shock.

Isn´t there a way to bind the claymores to the default ArmA Tank Shockdust feature?

Judging from youtube videos it comes pretty close .. maybe triple the amount of dirt, but otherwise i´d say it´s a match.

Yeah but it's essentially the same method, a lot of particles suddenly appearing.

One limitation of the config tank-dust effect is that it uses the same particle image all the time, whereas my scripts use a different image for each particle. Well, a random image out of a total of 8 anyway. That detail gives the dust/smoke an almost infinite amount of looks each time.