Sign in to follow this  
sandzibar

aimpoint model config?

Im trying to mod the stock BIS aimpoint dot. found the relevent paa file in the weapons.pbo and made some changes.. i cant however locate what pbo contains the config.cpp that references aimpoint_dot_ca.paa and assigns it to the aimpoint model - its not in the weapons config.

can some kind soul point me in the right direction/pbo ?

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but it sounds like the texture you are editing is the model's texture. If that's the case, then you aren't likely to find it in the config at all. The config says model=m16a4_aim.p3d or something like that, and in that p3d file, the texture is referenced. So the only reference to the texture is in the model.

Of course, if you've edited the texture and rePBOed it, you should be able to see the difference with absolutely no config changes. smile_o.gif

ahhh.. see im teaching myself about arma editing by taking what BIS and others have done to pieces to see how it was done. From looking at 3rd party weps it seems that textures/materials are defined in configs. I assumed that each model had its own config that defines what textures to use.

Ok so I guess ill have to edit the aimpoint model and replace my new dot texture... would that then mean that Id have to edit each gun model that uses the old aimpoint model and have it use my new one?

This is seeming much more complicated that I had previously imagined.. all for the sake of changing a pixelated texture thats only 22k in size lol sad_o.gif

i didnt want to unpack.. change and then repack the weapons.pbo with my new texture as that strikes me as inefficient (and interfereing with base BIS pbo's is what i want to avoid).

I'm a bit rusty on this sort of addon work, but the best thing for you, it sounds like, is to copy the model to your own addon directory with your new aimpoint texture, and use a hex editor to change the references in the model from BIS's texture path to your new texture's path. IIRC, the paths are plain text in the .p3d. Then you will need to write a config for your new weapon to test it out. It's quite a bit of work, and my directions probably aren't detailed enough to get you through it, but maybe it will put you in the right direction.

smile_o.gif