Sign in to follow this  
milobr

How to keep squad cohesion?

Hello guys,

I want to get rid of that "flanking manuever" that AI squad leaders always employ and invariably ends in the death of the soldier who took the action.

I've seen it countless times. When the AI officer spots an enemy, he sends one trooper to kill him but what happens though is that he goes into the enemy squad and end up in a bag.

So I need help with this, it's so annoying.

Is this a mission editing question? You say you need help so maybe it is.

But anyways, haven't you considered how nice it is when you are the enemy of the flanking soldier, and when you get surprised by him? I find it very nice. One of the first things I noticed in the ArmA demo was that, to my feeling, the AI was more capable of surprising me regarding the direction they approached my position.

A couple of times while playing the demo I was thinking that I am well aware where all the enemy AI soldiers are, but I was wrong. And I liked being wrong!

This coin has two sides too.

What you are describing is more related to the "engage" order that AI leaders enjoy giving. I think the hardcoded scripted flanking is something else entirely, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe their Engage has simply turned out more clever.

Anyway, in the mission editor, to disable this you have a number of options. The easiest one is to use the enableAttack command on the squad leader, which will hopefully curb his interest to attack. Another is to use disableAI and disable their ability to "TARGET", which will also hopefully make their engaging behaviour less frequent (note bug with disableAI command).

Finally, make sure the unit's combatmode is right: "YELLOW" should be right. (setCombatMode or simply set it in the unit's waypoint).

As to in every mission anywhere that you're not making : can't help you there! biggrin_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Thanks for the replies,

Yes, it's related to the engage command. I'll try your suggestions to see what I get.

Again thanks. wink_o.gif