Sign in to follow this  
rambozo

My fal model.

Check it out. Its near done. It currently weighs in at about 1045 pollys. Lemme know what everyone thinks of it. I think Im gonna start on a Stoner 63 next. Oh and let me know if anyone wants to volanteer for the skinning. neardone.jpg

did you type the poly count out right??? i mean i am a  weapon modeller myself and if that is the poly count... then you would have 2 be the best  modeller i know to put so many polys into a undetailed model =tounge.gif

heheheh sorry .... looks good but that poly count. where you put all them polys?confused.gif?

hhmm i think i know where .... you use milkshape???

i see you got some double sided polys there... did you double side the whole model??? or is the model grouped?

if it is all grouped into one, best be it to break it up into groups and make the the doubled sided polys one group and the rest in anouther group .... prolly chop a load of poly's off...

Hey man I dont model much. And Im still learnin the software. I know there are still things to do to get the polly count down. I know the software Im using isnt the best for making these kind of models but its the only one I halfway know how to use. Im converting everything from nurbs so Im shure you can see how polly count would be a problem. Anyway I tried to remove as many hidden surfaces as possible and use double sided pollys where I could. I know my image here isnt the best so you really cant see alot of the stuff thats there on the reciever. I think I got the polly count fairly low considering. Maybe I will post more screens. Also any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

whyat prog you useing?

Light Wave 3d

Gmax

3Ds max

Milkshape

softimage

maya

marai

confused.gif??

i use Light Wave 3d to model

and yes not much can be seen =:/

but yeah you will get to learn the tricks as you go ....

i kinda grew up modelling in the CS community .. when it first started .. "oldskewl CS modeller" hehehehe

i started of by converting models from HL to CS ... and was useing milkshape ... then editing gooses models got old... so i got LW ... and started that ... and now i am well kknown for makeing pimp models around the place ....

now that a mod Tactical ops that i help is going retail i am movin on from mod work onto bigger stuff....

heh think you will be like this in a few years =)

just gotta stick to it =)

post some more pics and tell me what ya use and i will give ya pointers =)

Right now Im using rhinocerous. Its easy to use. Still I dont know all the tricks.

My first models were for Quake2. I used that old Quake2 modeler. A pain in the rear that was. But I havent messed with modelling since. And now I got this different software that Im just really begining to learn to use. I havent a clue how to use 3dsm or Gmax.

ah them prog i remember them ... rather shitty ... never used it ... but it is not the best ... you are best to get milkshape ... but you have to buy a CD key $20US i think ... used to be free .. lol

well you can d/l it still but ya cant save you models ... pplp use a crack ... but they donot last fully....

to be honest .. .you are best to d/l Gmax and learn it ... it will take a while ... but once you know it "you have learnt a great prog" and Gmax is didlly diff from 3ds Max.. and pro modellers use it .....

so go d/l Gmax and mess with it ...

hmmm yeah there is a little detail but not much .....

and the poly cunt is rather silly for little detail as it has ....

its a good start ....

but you realy need to ditch that prog and get somethig better....

Ok its about done. The polly count is now 655. I think it looks pretty cool. Im just tryin to tweak it. Just wanna make shure everything is proportional. This way it will be easier for skinning.

But it seems people arent interested. I will just finish it myself I guess. I just thought that maybe someone more capable would be willing. Oh well. Next I start on the stoner 63.

Anyone think of anything else I can try and make?

well to be honest we are in desperate need of modellers to make weapons and vehicles for our mod so if you want you can join now that i have seen your work BUT the site is really gone down hill because the stupid server wont let us upload anything and the forum is constantly down! im in the middle of trying to find some money so that i can buy my own domain name but so far no luck! aaahhh sad.gif

Nice work man smile.gif

I maybe gona post picture of FAL made by friend of mine (it have absoolutely nothnig to do with my work in BIS!!!wink.gif

Erex ur site in ur sig is unavailable. confused.gif

THx m8

i wasnt there for really long time (busy at work) and this squad have closed :-(

wow ya got the poly count down now =) hehehhe good work =)

also what is the poly limit for 1st persion model confused.gif"AKA v.mdl"

cozz i might wanna convert some of my work over once oxy is released ....

i have a few laying around here

I dont think there is a strict limit (within reason) on poly counts. I think OFP's LOD system also means you can go a little crazy on the poly count for weapon models. Though I'm not sure confused.gif

But considering that large numbers of computing power is needed to run only one object-laden mission, keeping a poly count low may have a priority, though it may seem miniscule in its contribution. Currently, even my 1Ghz, 192 MB RAM and ATI Rage can't handle extra-large OFP missions.

ATI Rage was out of date even when OFP was in the early stages of development and considering most total conversion mods wont be out for a long time I think most mod makers will not sacrifice medium-high ammounts of detail for the few remaining users of very old cards. Nvidia aren't even making Geforce 3's any more wow.gif When most mods are released we'll probally be on Geforce 5's. Sorry if all this sounds harsh and brutal but I think mod makers want to progress and move on and add more detail instead of constantly catering for people with low end gfx cards.

You also must remember one of the biggest fps killers is AI, not just models. I am not saying "make 4000 poly weapon models!!" I just think that a 1500 poly weapon model instead of an 800-900 poly weapon model (weapon models in OFP are around that) wont hurt your FPS half as much as you think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Erex @ Mar. 04 2002,17:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nice work man  smile.gif

I maybe gona post picture of FAL made by friend of mine (it have absoolutely nothnig to do with my work in BIS!!!wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes please do post pictures. I would like to see. I was surprised to see that noone really did a fal yet.

Anyway is oxygen out yet? Has anyone used it?

Hey Rambozo Rhinoceros 2.0 is a great program for modelling even better than the most programs in my eyes even better than 3ds max modelling section

if you need any help with optimizing or something else in rhino give me a shout,

regards,

Ragnar

Hi Rambozo

I think the model looks great - I can't wait to play with it!

As for your next projects.. hmm.. How about an FN MAG/GPMG/M240B machine gun? Or a South African R4 rifle? Maybe an M-14?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ragnardb @ Mar. 05 2002,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Rambozo Rhinoceros 2.0 is a great program for modelling even better than the most programs in my eyes even better than 3ds max modelling section

if you need any help with optimizing or something else in rhino give me a shout,

regards,

Ragnar<span id='postcolor'>

Im starting to think the same thing. I really am diggin the Rhino now. And Im shure Ill poke your brain for help sometime. But right now Im figuring it out as I go. Not doin too bad.

So here is the picture i promised. Enjoy.

smile.gif

P.S. I must repeat that it doesnt have anything to do with my work in BIS.

l1a1render2.jpg

mmm...Grrrreat Erex/Armourdave!...

I dont suppose u have soldier models to go with that, cause im still missing a L2 for RMC.

hey Erex, do you use photo skins and edit them alot in a paint prog to make it look better? or do you do freehand skin from scratch then use a Filter or something to give it that photo look?

just wanna know so i know what to do once i start to make models once Oxy is out ....

can look at some of my work here

http://minion.iwarp.com/modelpics.html

the top section on that page is my work for Tactical ops:AoT

that is going retail like CS did

and the rest under it is just misk stuff i did for HL mods...

tho alot of my new models for TO:AoT on that page are the old models i have not uploaded the new lower poly pimp looking models =)

well here is one of the new models for TO:AoT

tacops_jan31_12.jpg