Sign in to follow this  
WangoTango

Armed assault with a wifi connection ?

I am finally coming out of the stonage, and getting broadband. Although up until recentley 56k was the only service available to me. A company called Point to Point broadband (Motorola Canopy) set up a tower in our town. Now I am told it will be 256kbp up and 1mbp download. Will this be enough to finally play ArmA online ? Does anybody here use a simular service? I will be getting it installed this Thursday, and will be glad just to get rid of dial-up, but ArmA multiplayer would be a HUGE bonus.

Thanks for your time.

I have exactly the same connection speed. ADSL 2+ 1024 kbps down / 256 kbps up. ArmA online is so smoooooth smile_o.gif

on WiFi - watch out! You may have bad pings.

Your speed will definately be enough to play online games.

I have several wireless devices (cards,adapters,routers etc..)

I have found that ping may is more likely to vary from brands rather than connect speed.

They supply the wireless adapter don't they?

I've played online games shared between several computers in my house with a 11mbs wifi connect from my shop that is half mile away (have linksys routers config'd as bridges and 14db antennas)

Sometimes noisy days (trees in way)

You should be fine

I use WiFi and although pings aren't great, what I find more disturbing is that it is REALLY choppy at the main menu (unable to select games). May or may not be due to WiFi, but when I turn WiFi receiver Off it is not choppy at the Multiplayer Menu. Never found out what the problem is though, and it works fine in OFP, so may be AA rather than WiFi.

Your net speed will be fine to play arma multiplayer smile_o.gif

The problem with wifi, is that even though you may have a signal strength of excellent, when lots of data starts to flow about over Wifi, unless the distance is really short, you may encounter small lag spikes, lasting maybe a second or 2 at most, but in PvP it's enough to mess up the game for everyone. If you are unlucky enough to be caught up in this (not everyone is) then buy an ethernet cable (cheap enough) that you roll out for multi player gaming, and put away again for general net browsing or when ur not using it.

I play another game and everyones ping can be below 80ms in the lobby, but once the game has begun and lots of data is moving about, everyone lags, I check pings, and 1 player is spiking from 60ms to over 2000ms, and 9/10 if he's not running a torrent, its because he is playing on wireless and simply didn't know.

Well I finally got it installed, and I am happy to say it does work well ! That is when I can connect to a server that is.

My ISP is a point to point service, and the tower is less than a half mile away, I can see the tower from my back yard. When i check my internet speed, it is over 2Mbps. My ingame ping is an average 120, not great but playable.

No if only I could connect to games easier, it is hit and miss at the moment.

My ISP is a point to point service, and  the tower is less than a half mile away, I can see the tower from my back yard. When i check my internet speed, it is over 2Mbps. My ingame ping is an average 120, not great but playable.

i never had any problem thru wifi.

But, it seems that you use a 'shared' wifi AP provided by your provider.

If multiple users use this same AP, this could create quite some problems for playing games ( not only arma )

the response time of your connection is influenced by the load of the wifi connection.

Although you seem to have a a steady/high download speed, the reaction time of the network is a whole different cookie than the average speeds you get.

Best thing to do is: get a dedicated ADSL line !