Sign in to follow this  
gL33k

The problematic of ram space.

Hello.

i constantly see my video ram space fall to 0MB free when i'm playing. each time i aim with an ocular , my game enter in stuttering mode for 1 seconde or 2 for texture loading. As time allocating is quite severe with texture loading , framerate lose few point. enough to piss me off anyways.

My card have 512MB but i'm sure even with double or tripple of that , you always finish with a 0MB free. it will only take more time.

so is there any technology who permit to avoid this ram space problem ? if there, then i hope BI team try to use it.

i don't forget my 2nd cpu core either , may them don't.

i don't hope to find any fixe for that. icon_rolleyes.gif

it's purely an software limitation i think , so i put this topic on ARMA2 section , because i want debate this overthere. could you move it again please ?

edit: o , you are dev. could you give us your opinion on that ?

I guess you are probably using too high texture detail. With lower texture detail set in the video options the problem is likely to go away.

i use ati tray tool for monitor the video ram usage.

at normal => no more than 300MB used.

at high => no more than 400MB

at very high => all 512MB used.

at default => same

do you really think use 300MB of 512 is better than 512 of 512 for display a scene "X" ?

edit: lower settings is worst. stuttering is higher.

Few options here..

Leave it at "high" and use the 512 then your happy.

Buy a video card with more ram

What is the fix you need? It will load as much as possible.

i don't know. i would like to get a smooth gameplay but it seem impossible. i may need a 8800 .

I have an 8800 gtx and only run it on low memory usage about 400 odd or I get out of memory errors.  is you hard drive in use when it stutters as it may be a pagefile issue with you main memory not your vram.  does using the -maxmem=512 in your short cut solve the issue?

With my x1950 pro (ASUS with 256MB) I can play ArmA at highest Details (fps are between 20-35(its enough for me))

1280x1024 + all @ high/very high

the viewdistance is set to 4500km if i change it to 10.000km then i get fps between 15-25..

Pq2RW74i.jpgaV30KDAJ.jpgPq2RWh2S.jpg

aV30KSyA.jpgPq2RWm29.jpgaV30Ld_S.jpg

here some other screenshot's. If the 20-35 fps are enough for you I think you dont need a 8800GTX to play @ highest Details. The 1950 pro is very cheap. Or a HD 3850 would be better but a 8800GTX is to expensive. Is only my opinion. smile_o.gif