Sign in to follow this  
Untermensch

Dug-in vehicles

Hello....This is my first post here so b nice ok?? tounge2.gif

I am creating a mission for ARMA, it represents a BLUFOR assault on a OPFOR defensive line and to do this I wanted to make OPFOR tanks dug-in only showing the turret and a bit of the hull of the tank. (that will make them more hard to destroy hopefully)

I used getpos with a negative value for the height....it works fine for mg's and AT guns (I hope to make it harder for the attackers to hit these this way since the sandbags don't work very well protecting anything and if they do, to shot becomes impossible).

Unfortunately, the tanks go to ground level as soon as the AI gets in them.....

Do you know of any way of going around this problem?

Thank you

I'm not sure if that's possible at all. If you remove the fuel from the tank the crew disembarks because of that.

Instead try to place only a gunner and commander in the tank, leaving the driver out.

Give the name a tank, like "tank1" and then place two crewmembers. In the initialization line for the first crew type:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this moveInCommander tank1

This moves the unit in the tank as commander.

In the initialization line for the second crew type:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this moveInGunner tank1

This moves the unit in the tank as gunner.

The above has not been tested. It might work or not, you need to find out. But I guess as soon as a crew enters the tank it will bounce back to the surface.

what about a no-driver as wolle suggested and a second setpos after the crew is in and the tank bounced back to normal?

I'm not sure if that's possible at all. If you remove the fuel from the tank the crew disembarks because of that.

No it doesn't, my earliest mission making attempts had vulcans dug in with no fuel, and the crew stayed in

As an alternative to digging "in", you could always try inserting some "HumpsDirt" objects in the editor to build up berms around the tank instead. If they aren't the correct height they are easy to stack and/or raise their height by putting this in their init line:

To add 1m of height...to change adjust the "+1" to +/- any value:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, (getpos this select 2) +1];

No it doesn't, my earliest mission making attempts had vulcans dug in with no fuel, and the crew stayed in

You're right, I presumed since the crew leaves choppers with no fuel they also abandon vehicles which they don't. My fault, that happens when you post without checking first. crazy_o.gif

Several missions have had tanks surrounded by sandbag walls, this does look realistive and makes them very hard to hit. You can even build the walls on top of each other to create a higher fortress like section.