Sign in to follow this  
Neo-Babylonian

Very n00b question

I spent ages making a single-player mission. I followed everything on the guide for making respawns, and saved the description.ext file in that mission's folder.

When I went back to OFP to open that mission, the whole thing cloed down, and i got an error message saying:

Error [folder name] ":" "}" encountered instead of "=".

But I never put these character in. sad_o.gif

Can someone help me please. Thanks in advance.

Hi Neo-Babylonian,

That is a syntax error. It's saying that there is a property that should be initialized. Look before where there is a "}" for an extra "}" or a declaration without a ";" at the end of it. If you post the contents of the description.ext or send it to me I can find it for you as many other here could too.

Thank you very much Operator of dissidence, I appreciate it.

Since I've only been playing it for the last few months, I don't know much code xmas_o.gif . The description.ext was for a respawn, and all it was is:

respawn=3

respawndelay=10

Hi again Neo-Babylonian,

Thank you, it's my pleasure to help you.

Bellow is an example on how your description.ext should look.

You only need the respawn lines, but I added the class too; so you could also see how to set those up.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

/*********************************************

Many of OFP's configuration files use the C code syntax;

which means after every definition you should add a

semicolon. This is an example of how to initialize

variables and declare a class in the description.ext

**********************************************/

// When assigning a value to a variable end it with a semicolon.

respawn = 3;

respawndelay = 10;

// bellow is a class declaration, which allows you to use your own music.

class CfgMusic

{

// put the class names in this array. i.e {MyMusic,EndingMusic};

tracks[]={MyMusic};

// You name this class yourself. This is the representation of your music file in OFP.

class MyMusic

{

name = "<Music Title>";

// the first element is the relative path from your mission's folder to the music file.

sound[] = {\music\<Name of music file>.ogg, db+0, 1};

};

// end class declarations with a semicolon.

};

Thank you very much Operator of dissidence, your explanation helped me understand the repawn, and much more. I really appreciate that man. Thanks.  smile_o.gif

EDIT: I copied and pasted your respawn lines, but the same message comes up. I think my game is spazzed up from the beginning tounge2.gif . I appreciate all your help and thanks.

How about posting your description.ext so we can have a look at it.

How about posting your description.ext so we can have a look at it.

Thank you very much, but I my PC's spazzing up. My description.ext simply consists of:

Quote[/b] ]

respawn = 3;

respawndelay = 10;

lol, that's it. xmas_o.gif

Ok Neo-Babylonian,

What OS are you using? Vista usually puts people through loops because of the new security features. You should try deleteing the description.ext and see if you still get that error message, which would reveal that the error is being generated from an addon or if you're on Vista it's being stored in the virtual filesystem. However, it might also mean that as you put it, "The game is spazzed up."

I put up a batch file that I used to quickly create a description.ext file, a sort of outline with all the options availiable in it. $'s indicate where customizable data can be set.

use notepad or any generic derivative to edit the description.ext file it generates.

the link is below and that's pretty much my last ditch effort. Sorry, I can not help you more. Oh, yeah the download is a rar so, if you can extract the bat file download winrar at rarlabs.com

Edit: Updated the link. Much more easier to read this version.

http://files.filefront.com/Descrip....fo.html

Ok Neo-Babylonian,

What OS are you using? Vista usually puts people through loops because of the new security features. You should try deleteing the description.ext and see if you still get that error message, which would reveal that the error is being generated from an addon or if you're on Vista it's being stored in the virtual filesystem. However, it might also mean that as you put it, "The game is spazzed up."

I put up a batch file that I used to quickly create a description.ext file, a sort of outline with all the options availiable in it. $'s indicate where customizable data can be set.

use notepad or any generic derivative to edit the description.ext file it generates.

the link is below and that's pretty much my last ditch effort. Sorry, I can not help you more. Oh, yeah the download is a rar so, if you can extract the bat file download winrar at rarlabs.com

http://files.filefront.com/dscptgenrar/;8869712;/fileinfo.html

Again, thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it, and you already did much more than I asked for. Thanks for all the help man.

DONT use the normal editor in game, go to MULTIPLAYER and then NEW, edit from here!!!!

When using the description file you also need a marker for respawn.

Marker name : Respawn_West

Quote[/b] ]

whistle.gif

Allie, base respawn does require a marker labeled respawn_<side> for it to work; very good point. That probably was the problem.

Great work. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Quote[/b] ]

whistle.gif

Allie, base respawn does require a marker labeled respawn_<side> for it to work; very good point. That probably was the problem.

Great work. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Ok, so editor, new, then make a mission WITHOUT putting respwan markers, and if that don't work, reinstall the game.

Thanks guys. smile_o.gif

Neo-Babylonian,

You need a marker named respawn_west, respawn_east, respawn_guerrilla, or respawn_civilian for the kind of respawn you're using "BASE". another note, the respawn effects  defined in the description.ext don't work unless you are playing the mission in muliplayer mode instead of single player. That's what allie was also trying to say.

Edit:

Testing it in the mission editor won't work, so export it as a multiplayer one. it's in the save dialog of the mission editor. another route would be to copy the mission folder from your users Missions folder to the MPMissions folder, which should be found at the same location as the Missions folder. If it's not there; create it and put your mission in there. Ok, now you can edit it in multiplayer mode. launch OFP:Res with the -host command switch to start a multiplayer session. if the server creation fails you'll know because it boots you back to main menu. if you get a list of islands choose the island your mission was created on and it should show up in the right hand list. double click on it to start editing the mission and you can even test it because the respawning will work now with the preview button.