Sign in to follow this  
Risasi

Realism

Okay, I've been fooling around with OFP:goty for a week or two now.

I am pissed it took me this long to find this game. Unfortunately I had a friend tell me it sucked years ago, and I never gave it another thought.

Anyway, I've been playing with tons of mods now, I've been browsing the forums here (a wealth of information). If you guys are ever considering shutting down please contact me. I'll host it.

I've been looking for a setting or mod that allows me to fly a helicopter like the real thing. None of this auto-leveling, constant altitude stuff. I want direct control of my cyclic and collective, and yes, even my tail rotor if possible (assuming that heli has a tail rotor).

I'm a bit of a sim nut, cut my teeth on Gunship (the original in 1986). Without these nuances it's hard to do pop-up/pop-around w/ a hill or building. It's near impossible to tree-top skim and drop collective torque just long enough to unload troops. Stuff like that.

I have a couple Saitek X45's, this is why I'm asking. I'd love to setup a co-op mission w/ my friends on our LAN gaming night.

Thanks,

Bryan

This auto leveling and terrain following arcade stuff in OFP has always been really bad when trying to do some maneuver, as it affects not only helicopter but planes are subject to those annoyances as well.

Unfortunately, that is hardcoded and so no mods can change this.

There is a kind of tail rotor command, not really as precise as in a simulation, but it is there.

To use this, check the key you have bound to "Turn Left" and "Turn Right" , it affects the soldiers but it can be used for the tail rotor when piloting helicoper (only at small speed)

Hello,

unfortunately OFP is not very realistic when it comes to vehicle specific controls. Remember it has to simulate quite a list of vehicle classes and at the same time has to stay open for community added content.

You can rotate around all 3 axis but you won't find independent RPM and collective controls there.

Being a sim nut myself, I recommend to look for the even older Jane's Longbow2 when you want less models to fly with but these simulated accurate. It is multiplayer capable as well.

Use a Joystick, than a totally different flightmodel kick`s in. wink_o.gif

Edit:

HOTAS setup recommended.

You need the z-axis.

True, when flying with a joystick you can maneuver a plane freely and the choppers will have a "throttle" control instead of the ground-altitude control. The flight model will still be pretty basic and plain wrong of course but pop-ups etc will be much more enjoyable.

The down side is that you can't target as effectively without a mouse. If you just happen to have a trackIR laying somewhere I think you could use that for targetting in "mouse emulation mode" while still having your hands on throttle and stick.

I play with a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback 2. It's okay for OFP, has a twisting handle and a throttle control on the base. It's also very durable, had it for 3+ years and even dropped it on the floor a couple of times. They don't make these no more though smile_o.gif

Wow. Again, fast responses. Thanks guys.

Okay, I'll just live with it. Really, it's pretty hard to complain about what BIS has done with OFP. There is just so much content it's amazing.

I will definitely hook up my X45's then.

Also Pulverizer,

I am familiar w/ the whole sidewinder series. They are a pretty decent joystick. However once I happened upon the <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Saitek-X45-Joystick-Throttle-Nice_W0QQitemZ140169786880QQihZ004QQcategoryZ74944QQssPageNam

eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Saitek</a>, I was sold. You might want to check them out if you are interested in sims that make use of joysticks. I know Saitek has released some later models, but the X45 has the ability to hotkey something like 83 individual buttons. That's good enough for me.

I know used, this model can be bought pretty cheap now. I anticipate that I might eventually have 4-6 workstations set up specifically for flying.

The group I generally play with are a bunch of guys from my church. Right now there are usually 12-16 of us that like LAN play. But some of the younger boys are getting to the age where they are old enough to buy their own equipment, and play a more adult game like this. Something tells me even though ArmA has all the eye candy, we will be playing this game for years to come. I suppose I will eventually move to ArmA, but I'll wait until there are some really nice mods like OFP has. I hope this explains some of the weird questions I've had on this forum.

Again, thanks for all the earnest responses. I really appreciate the help.

Regards,

Bryan

Okay, I've been fooling around with OFP:goty for a week or two now.

I am pissed it took me this long to find this game. Unfortunately I had a friend tell me it sucked years ago, and I never gave it another thought.

Anyway, I've been playing with tons of mods now, I've been browsing the forums here (a wealth of information). If you guys are ever considering shutting down please contact me. I'll host it.

I've been looking for a setting or mod that allows me to fly a helicopter like the real thing. None of this auto-leveling, constant altitude stuff. I want direct control of my cyclic and collective, and yes, even my tail rotor if possible (assuming that heli has a tail rotor).

I'm a bit of a sim nut, cut my teeth on Gunship (the original in 1986). Without these nuances it's hard to do pop-up/pop-around w/ a hill or building. It's near impossible to tree-top skim and drop collective torque just long enough to unload troops. Stuff like that.

I have a couple Saitek X45's, this is why I'm asking. I'd love to setup a co-op mission w/ my friends on our LAN gaming night.

Thanks,

Bryan

you should be fine without rudder control. tows are guilded, 30mm cannon is the gunas problem. the unguided rockets though could be tricky. fire tons at them. i dont think even the body armor now will stop 192 57mm rockets wink_o.gif

you should be fine without rudder control. tows are guilded, 30mm cannon is the gunas problem. the unguided rockets though could be tricky. fire tons at them. i dont think even the body armor now will stop 192 57mm rockets wink_o.gif

That is an affirmative. I was playtesting WGL 5.12 + WGL texturepack + DxDll, on Everon. As few as 35 FFAR's will light up two BMP's and four extra squads... wink_o.gif

I also think I'll be able to hotkey the rudder on my joysticks to 'X' and 'C'. Haven't tried yet.