Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

For loops counting up or down

Hi

I'm trying to set weather based on previous weather and a random input. Yes, I've seen som weather scripts but I don't think they do what I need, or, want smile_o.gif Also considering this a little experiment with the sqf syntax which I am learning.

Note, all _variables initialized outside the loops.

Say the overcast is 0. Now I need to use a for loop counting upwards using the

for [{BEGIN}, {CONDITION}, {STEP}] do

syntax. BEGIN is replaced with _i=_ovc_curr, as this is the initial point. CONDITION is replaced with _ovc_curr < _ovc_targ, since I want to continue as long as this is met. And finally, STEP is a simple _i = _i +1 statement.

This seems to wok just fine. However, I also need to check against what the weather is when I start the loop, since the weather will improve instead of deterioate in certain conditions. Now I suddenly might have to count downwards.

So now I need to have an if else thing going on, choosing which for loop I wish to execute. But I keep hitting the wall on this one.

I also tried doing only one for loop but with nested conditionals inside -- again nothing but error codes.

Nested:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

for [ {_i=_ovc_curr}, {if(_ovc_curr < _ovc_targ) then {_i < _ovc_targ}; else {_i > _ovc_targ};}, {if(_ovc_curr < _ovc targ) then {_i=_i+0.01}; else{_i=_i-0.01}; ] do

{

...the code...;

}

Separate:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

if (overcast < _ovc_targ)

then

{

for [{_i=overcast}, {_i < _ovc_targ}, {_i=_i+0.01}] do

{

...code...

};

};

else {

hint "test";

};

The lower one apparently works until I add that

else {...code...}; stuff.

Where am I going wrong? Tried to follow the biki as close as possible, but I'm stuck banghead.gif

Thank you very much! Well, it doesn't work as I was hoping, but at least now I'm getting closer...

Gawd I hate semicolons ;-)

If you spawn the following code (sqf) it will slowly track your target weather. You can chance the STEP_TIME or STEP_SIZE defines to change the responsiveness. ovc_targ has been changed to a global variable to allow you to set the target weather from elsewhere in the mission.

#define STEP_TIME 0.1

#define STEP_SIZE 0.01

while {true} do {

_diff = ovc_targ - overcast;

if (abs _diff > STEP_SIZE) then {

//Get the step - either -1 or +1

_stepDir = (abs _diff )/ _diff;

STEP_TIME setOvercast (overcast + _stepDir*STEP_SIZE);

};

sleep STEP_TIME;

};

_

*edit* - oops, got the step the wrong way round

cool idea about the defines sbsmac :-) I should keep that one in mind smile_o.gif

Just bear in mind that #include only works for _sub_directories so if you want to stick definitions in a common header file you need to bury it at the bottom of the file heirarchy - a bit annoying wink_o.gif