Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrug

Piper Warrior Tour Guide (v1.0)

Mission: Piper Warrior Tour Guide (v.1.0)

Version needed: ArmA 1.08

Type: Single Player only

Teamswitch : No.

Island: Sara

Requirements:

Gnat's Piper Warrior II

Mission by: Wolfrug

Download link: Mirror 1: Filefront

Version History:

1.0 BETA

-First release

From the overview:

It's late and you're watching the news just before the big game tonight when you get an unexpected phonecall from your mechanic Greg: two new clients have just shown up and desperately want a tour of the island in your trusty Piper Warrior II tonight!

--> This is just a "quick" little mission I cooked up when Gnat released his Piper Warrior II. I was planning on finishing it in a few days, but you know the way ArmA and mission making works....suddenly you're adding features and fixing bugs and doing all kinds of extra things. Oh, and intros/outros take a lot of time. Not to mention adding one simple little extra resource. Gaah. Anyway:

Features:

-CSL populate island

-Custom voice acting (yes. It's the same guy doing all the voices. Yes. You can tell. Anyone want to voice act for me, feel free to PM wink_o.gif)

-l337 flying experience over the WHOLE island!

-scripts by Johnnyboy, Mandoble, MrN (I think?), CSL...and me, of course.

-Lots and lots of flying.

Average play time: With no extra saving, maybe...20 minutes, tops.

HINT (sort of un-spoilerish): Use your one "real" save game when you see the green flare! It'll make things much less annoying! (also: the waypoint isn't always triggered, but I'm sure you can find Rahmadi on your own :P).

Have fun! Beta reports welcome!

(this is a copy if the actual beta thread over at the OFPEC forums. I thought I'd open one up here too just so that people who wanted to comment needn't mess up Gnat's thread).

Edit: Following people's reports, it appears something is rather wrong with my tour-guide recording in the mission. It sounds echoey and overly loud. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH EAX ENABLED. Seeing as none of the other sounds and recordings seem to have any trouble, and seeing as there is absolutely no interference visible in the sound files themselves when played "out of game", I don't know what I can do except re-record everything.

Since this was just a quick and fun little mission for me to make, it's not incredibly likely I will re-record all those sound files very soon unless there is massive public demand/someone unearths a whole host of bugs that require me to update to the next version anyway. Until then, I suggest you toggle EAX off for the duration of this mission (under Options/Audio options -> EAX Enabled/Disabled) to fully appreciate the synthetic voice of Lucy-the-tour-guide wink_o.gif

Wolfrug out.

OK, tried it twice, i got two issues:

1. the sound i've already mentioned. whenever that tourist-guide-voice kicks in, it goes all loud. and not just loud, there is an echo (similar to being in a hangar or hall) and lots of static noise. there's got to be something wrong. i never have any soundproblems.

2. waypoints. i don't see them while flying. and looking at the map while in flight is a bad idea.

if i'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

i really like this idea to just fly around. but the above issues keep me from enjoying it.

1. huh.gif I have no idea. The recording is fine when I listen to it, both inside and outside of the game. Opening it up in Audacity shows absolutely no interference of any kind (neither does listening to it veryvery loudly with Winamp). Anyone else have this problem?

If you still want to play the mission but without the recording, feel free to open the .pbo and remove from the sound folder all of the "TourGuide" oggs. smile_o.gif It'll give you an error whenever one of the sounds are to play, but won't otherwise mess with the mission.

2. Heh. Waypoints would've been far, far too easy. There's use of waypoints later, but that's for longer flights. Use your GPS (map a key to it if you haven't) to follow your flight plan.

Even though this is just a "for fun" flying mission, it DOES test some of your flight capabilities you know. :P Like flying in a straight line and keeping a level altitude. Or flying in a pre-specified direction without any external help at all.

Oh, and some other things too, but you'll find those out. tounge2.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Yeah, the "Tourist Guide" -playback is screwed. Exactly how described in the first answer. But the mission itself is very shibby thumbs-up.gif

sad_o.gif It worked just fine with me. Sigh. I'll take a look at them later: did you try to shut off EAX/hardware acceleration (or alternatively put them back on)? Can't remember my settings right now, but that might be the problem.

Ah well. Glad you enjoyed the rest of the mission, the tour guide isn't ALL of it after all! wink_o.gif

Regards, Wolfrug

I had problems playing it also. The intro worked fine...but once it switched over to the mission loading screen, the bar stopped at 95% and froze my ArmA and forced me to C-A-D and restart.

What im supposed to do after i dropped krhm..the thingy? I dont get any message but fly to sea but nothin happens when i do that.

@kinismo

Did you have the problem with the audio as well? Just getting some feedback here. wink_o.gif

It's really strange if nothing happens, huh. It's a very simple trigger (fly 1500 meters away from the base, that's it).

Although I guess Johnnyboy's exploding-ammo script might've screwed up the unit I used to check for the distance. Try doing the run again and see if it works then?

Any feedback, incidentally? Except for the fact the sound is borked.

Regards,

Wolfrug

No the sounds worked fine, gotta try that again.

I had also eax and hardware sounds on and card i have is x-fi xtrememusic.